Home
Posted By: mp44 A good lure for bobcat? - 08/19/19
I set out a trail cam and am curious if there is a bobcat in the area. Can someone recommend a good lure? Is there on that works equally well for bobcat and coyote?

TIA!!
Posted By: WL205 Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 08/23/19
GHII
Posted By: catbegone Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 08/23/19
Punisher lure works great for both coyote and bobcats. It is made by kegcreek lures and baits
A domestic cat. The more and louder it howls, the better it works. I've used one in a wire cage on several occasions with great success. As usual, coyotes come in first but bobcats seem to come in nearly as fast plus be much less cautious.

Failing that, I use some liquid fish oil as an attractant. That stuff is pretty cheap at the drug store and it seems everything is attracted to it. I've had least weasels to bears show up to lick, roll, or just sniff where I've poured some on the ground. Other products may work better but one cannot beat the price of fish oil.
Posted By: mp44 Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 08/24/19
Thanks for all the replies!!!
Posted By: avfromvt Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 08/25/19
i would hang a bird wing as a flag from some mono.. Cat are driven by the vision more than their nose. As it flutters in the wind the cat will come directly under it.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 08/25/19
Originally Posted by avfromvt
i would hang a bird wing as a flag from some mono.. Cat are driven by the vision more than their nose. As it flutters in the wind the cat will come directly under it.

Yep flashy stuff too small Christmas garland on fishing line to get them close to the lure/bait/trap .

I'd like to try the distress bird little cheap $15ish chirper doodads i've read they work great , but are always sold out .
Posted By: poboy Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 08/25/19
I hang a strip linen (wore out bedsheet) and dip the ends in Wayne Derrick's Rocky Mt. Cat Lure. Blows in the wind.
About 5-6ft. up on a limb in the general area of the set. Derrick is out of New Mexico and I use it in Cen\Tx. I don't
know that Eastern cats like the same lure.
need something strong in cold weather. Powder River Cat Call, Gusto, Feline Fix, etc.
Posted By: 22WRF Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 08/28/19
look for a dead skunk on the road. Pick it up and take it to an area where you think there might be bobcats. Put a bunch of trash over it. Wait until it snows. then start looking for tracks. If there are bobcat, coyote, or fox in the area they will be there.
Get ahold of Wayne Derrick in New Mexico. His lures produce
Nothing beats good ole' red fox pee!......Pure and simple!
Originally Posted by avfromvt

Yep
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 11/16/19
I had good luck using Hawbackers in dirt hole sets over the years.....Fox or Cat Pee on the backing.

I also caught quite a few Coyotes.....Coon...and Skunk in the same sets but you'll probably starve to death targeting Coyotes with that set.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

PS......you might want to check your regs before hanging a lot of feathers or wings......
That's not to say they don't work cause they do but some states lump em in with exposed bait rules.
Posted By: 44mc Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 11/17/19
F G do you skin your bob cats from the back ? I had one that I shot with my xbow skinned down the belly yours look better
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 11/17/19
No I tube em....I'm not very good at explaining things but there's lots of video out there.
Posted By: 44mc Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 11/17/19
F G thanks for the info
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 11/18/19
Leatherwood creek top dog predator bait by Hoosier trapping supply
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 11/20/19
GUSTO!!! and hang a shiny cd from a string
Posted By: TomM1 Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 11/23/19
The internals of a cassette tape are a good visual attractant. Especially on a sunny day with a little breeze.
Posted By: waterrat Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 11/25/19
Dobbin's PUUURFECT,,,,,,
Posted By: Snyper Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 11/25/19
I've not seen any carnivores that can resist the scent of the oil from a can of sardines.
I eat the sardines and soak a cotton ball in the oil then hang it from a bush or a stake a few feet above ground.

When using it as bait for live traps I make trails leading into the trap by dragging it several feet in front of the door.
Posted By: Ray63 Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 11/27/19
Beaver castor with some cat gland lure and some Cat pee
Posted By: laker Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 11/27/19
Andy Weisers Montana long call is deadly on cats
Originally Posted by Ray63

I use a hole beaver carcass covered with pine brows to keep ravens off on a pole set 6' off the ground with a 330 below ...bait a month before season opens...
Feathers are your friend
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 01/28/20
Originally Posted by Tom_in_VT
Leatherwood creek top dog predator bait by Hoosier trapping supply

Leatherwood Creek Scents are very good and developed by the owner of Hoosier Trapper Supply, Charlie Mashcek. He and his son and son-in-law go to Arkansas every year specifically targeting bobcat. His lures has been thoroughly tested in the field. They are very nice people and more than happy to answer any questions you might have.
Posted By: ajf55 Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 03/31/20
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Originally Posted by Ray63

I use a hole beaver carcass covered with pine brows to keep ravens off..

This will keep them coming back.
Good info. Thanks...
Posted By: RIO7 Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 03/31/20

Bird wing on fishing line with a swivel about 2 1/2' or 3'above the ground, dig a hole down wind and throw whats left of the bird in it. we have a lot of collared doves hanging around our barns I shot a few with my pellet gun, put them in a plastic bag in the freezer I always have bait, once in awhile i get a coyote or a badger with this set. Rio7
Posted By: wytex Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 06/02/20
We use PRCC also with a piece of garland for attractant and a googlie eyed mouse or rat for bait.

Attached picture DSCN0202 copy.jpg
Attached picture DSCN0210 copy.jpg
The quick answer is Violator 7 for me. GH-II and gusto are time proven too. Equally important is the location and some visual attractor as some have mentioned. Set a trail around somethickets or briars, dry creek bed or rocky drainages. Cats hunt by sight and pretty much walk the path that can be traversed as quiet as possible. Good luck!!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: A good lure for bobcat? - 07/04/20
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Feathers are your friend

Yep. Hanging from a thread above, dancing with the breeze.
© 24hourcampfire