Home
Posted By: poboy Dead grey fox in trap - 11/03/19
Last season I had a dead grey fox in my best bobcat set. Skinning revealed
it was chomped one time only. Dog, coyote or lion? We have a few lions. Other?
What do you think? IDK.... fer sure.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Dead grey fox in trap - 11/12/19
I’ll guess, coyote.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Dead grey fox in trap - 11/12/19
chupacabra!!
Posted By: Jericho Re: Dead grey fox in trap - 11/14/19
Wouldnt a coyote tear a fox to pieces if they found one in a trap?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Dead grey fox in trap - 11/14/19
I've found a couple Swift Fox that coyotes caught out in the open. None have been eaten, but one was cut in half. The halves were about 20 yards apart. Don't know if it was a tug-o-war between a pair, or one just chomped it.....

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
Posted By: poboy Re: Dead grey fox in trap - 11/15/19
I would have thought a coyote would tear it up. I really don't know.
Some of the trappers are leaning towards cat.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Dead grey fox in trap - 11/16/19
someone cut your trapped fox into two pieces just to ruin the hide for spite..
Posted By: onelostsoul Re: Dead grey fox in trap - 11/16/19
Bobcat for sure......once they are done eating, they will hide what is left for later consumption!
Posted By: Region6 Re: Dead grey fox in trap - 11/21/19
I once found a red fox that had been killed by a coyote. The fox was not in a trap. I found him lying in the snow the morning after he met his demise. The tracks in the snow showed with out a doubt it was a coyote. I picked the fox up and skinned him at home. The had puncture wounds in his hind and around his neck. The coyote definitely didn’t rip him to pieces.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Dead grey fox in trap - 11/22/19
Originally Posted by Region6
I once found a red fox that had been killed by a coyote. The fox was not in a trap. I found him lying in the snow the morning after he met his demise. The tracks in the snow showed with out a doubt it was a coyote. I picked the fox up and skinned him at home. The had puncture wounds in his hind and around his neck. The coyote definitely didn’t rip him to pieces.

I've had them killed in traps the same way. Bite marks around the neck and back; killed, but weren't torn to pieces.
Posted By: poboy Re: Dead grey fox in trap - 11/22/19
Thanks for all the input guys. At least it didn't get tore up. Saved one bullet.
Posted By: WL205 Re: Dead grey fox in trap - 12/25/19
Two years ago I found only the front leg left of a grey fox in my trap, coyotes obviously had done this as their tracks were present and a bitch yote was in the trap 20 yards away. Later that same season I caught a grey fox that upon skinning I found he had been chomped around the back and in the ribs. Probably while he was in the trap as I had a coyote double 100 yards away. He must of put up a good fight for them to leave him alive.
© 24hourcampfire