Home
Has anyone sold any muskrat this fall? stretched or in the round? What prices did you get or heard of?
friend of mine in Nebraska plans to trap around 500 starting next month and says they will be worth about $2.50/ea.
In the round, or dried and stretched?
My local buyer is paying about $3 nose count on finished fall rats. I hope the short harvest will boost that just a tad.
you can get more for the meat than the fur.
Originally Posted by Hubert
you can get more for the meat than the fur.

Especially if you market them as Marsh Rabbit, I was in the fur market in the late 70's early 80's and one of the better known buyers in Wisconsin would sell the muskrat carcasses from muskrats bought in the round as Marsh Rabbits. I will not share his name as I think very fondly of him as he took the time to teach me to grade beaver, I di not work for him but worked for a competing buyer. After probably a 4-hour lesson at an auction house going through 100's of beaver I offered to buy him dinner and he refused, we went to dinner and would not even let me pay for my share, I did make sure there was not Marsh Rabbit o the menu. He was a real gentleman who took the time to train an 18 year old the finest points of grading beaver,
Who is buying meat muskrats in the Dakotas?
© 24hourcampfire