Home
Posted By: xxclaro No1 longspring trap for cat? - 02/22/20
I've got a big feral tomcat prowling around that is killing my rabbits. He's been around a couple years and has previously been pretty well behaved, killed a couple weasels in my barn for me, but now he's crossed a line. I caught him last year in a live catch box trap, and released him, so now he won't go for it again. I built a box, put a 330 conibear in it and baited it with sardines. He walks right around it. So,seeing as he walks the same path every day I thought perhaps a leg hold trap would work. All I have is a new No1 longspring Newhouse trap though, and I'm not sure if it'll hold him. What say you?
Put a snare on the path he walks every day
Scent post set - trail set , i'd use a bigger trap to up my chances of catching him .

Snares also a good idea ..
Can you not shoot him when you see him?
Posted By: WL205 Re: No1 longspring trap for cat? - 02/23/20
22 cb short
Originally Posted by WL205
22 cb short

Dad always said the best place for a cat was 40 feet in front of the shotgun
Posted By: Ray63 Re: No1 longspring trap for cat? - 02/23/20
A #1 will hold him if you get his foot in it. We have held several coyote in #11 which is a #1 double long spring. If you have access to some beaver castor put it in a dirt hole set right by where you see him
Caught a coyote in a sleepy creek 1 1/2 coil spring last week and it held him fine. That’s a pretty small trap so I’d think a #1 would do fine if you can get the cat’s foot in it.
Thanks guys. Got a Conibear 330 and a 110 set for him right now, so far no luck. He is very clever, I've set a trail cam on the trail he walks and it's always at night or when I'm not home. Weekends he seems to know to stay away. But, he is a cat and doesn't like snow, so he steps in his same footprints every time, and that will be his undoing!
Can you not undo his skull with a .22?
A Newhouse #1 is far stronger than most other brands. It will hold him but be sure to anchor it very well. If you catch him in it, it will be "graphic" though. A 160 or 220 conibear set right over his trail should work nicely with no bait or lure used.
Posted By: poboy Re: No1 longspring trap for cat? - 02/24/20
Caught alot of animals using fried chicken bones.I was playing around out back with some
of Wayne Derrick"s bobcat lure. The feral house cats went nuts over it.
Yes, a #1 longspring will certainly hold a tomcat if it has a good spring. Heck, they hold coons, coyote, even an otter.

But if the spring is old and worn out, then it won't be good for much.
© 24hourcampfire