Home
Posted By: Leanwolf HELL OR HIGH WATER - 11/27/16
Hell Or High Water is a movie about an aging Texas Ranger, Jeff Bridges, near retirement, who along with his partner, are chasing a couple of brothers who are serial bank robbers. They rob small banks out in the west Texas country.

Well done with an interesting subplot.

Dialogue is sometimes hard to discern as studios rarely do any voice dubbing anymore when the actors are hard to understand.

Have a look.

L.W.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 11/28/16
It got great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and is on my Amazon watch list. I know what you mean about mumbled dialogue. Nice thing about streaming is the "instant rewind" button that replays the last 7 seconds or so or with subtitles.

I find myself hitting that rewind more and more these days to literally see what the actors said. I'm sure 57 years of shooting has nothing to do with that... wink
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 11/28/16
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It got great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and is on my Amazon watch list. I know what you mean about mumbled dialogue. Nice thing about streaming is the "instant rewind" button that replays the last 7 seconds or so or with subtitles.

I find myself hitting that rewind more and more these days to literally see what the actors said. I'm sure 57 years of shooting has nothing to do with that... wink

Jim, it ain't your hearing. My wife has superb hearing and she is like me: "What did he/she say??" I have good hearing too but it's the same with me. "What did he/she say?" I have spoken with a number of people I know in "the Business" and all say the same. "Can't understand the freakin' dialogue in that flick!!"

There are several reasons for this. Actors no longer articulate as actors were trained in "the old days." Elocution is neglected in flicks these days. Because dubbing or lip syncing is expensive, the studios pay little attention to it in order to save money on the production.

Another reason is because a director is so familiar with the script, even if he is watching the "dallies" or watching the film editing when the sound track has been cut in, he recognizes what the actor(s) said because the line is imprinted in his mind.

Same with the sound engineer. He has the script in front of him as he plays the sound track so if a line or word is mumbled or slightly incoherent, he doesn't catch it becuase he is reading the line from the script as he hears the actor. Sounds okay to him.

Another problem today is that a boom mike is rarely used because all the actors are "wired up" with a tiny transmitter mike hidden beneath their clothes. In the "old days" if a boom mike did not pick up the dialogue so the sound engineer understood it at the moment of filming, he'd tell the director he did not get the dialogue and the director would reshoot the scene. That, for all practical purposes, is long gone because of those tiny mikes hidden under the actors' clothes.

Another problem today is a director in the cutting room either cutting the film or watching the film editor do it,will run the sound effects track and/or the music track so loudly over the actors' dialogue, their lines are drowned out. Some directors call this "The totality of my great art is all that is important. Screw the unwashed audience."

Anyway, this is just to dispel your worries about your hearing. wink It ain't you: it's the narcissistic RR-Teests" in Hollywood who couldn't care less if you understand the actors' dialogue. grin

L.W.

Posted By: g5m Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 11/29/16
In the theater a few months ago the dialogue was readily heard. For the most part. And for me to say that is something because I usually have to ask the Mrs. "What'd he say?".

The way the music is used nowadays is awful. TV and movies both. One reason I like old movies where dialogue mattered.

Fine movie.
Posted By: Penobscot_99 Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 11/29/16
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Hell Or High Water is a movie about an aging Texas Ranger, Jeff Bridges, near retirement, who along with his partner, are chasing a couple of brothers who are serial bank robbers. They rob small banks out in the west Texas country.

Well done with an interesting subplot.

Dialogue is sometimes hard to discern as studios rarely do any voice dubbing anymore when the actors are hard to understand.

Have a look.

L.W.

Actually its about the one brother who is robbing the Midland bank which reverse mortgaged his mothers ranch figuring to pick upthe ranch for pennies on the dollar. Rob the bank and pay off the mortgage with their own money.
Jeff Bridges as the Texas Marshall is the secondary story.
Good movie..."if that ain't Texan, I don't know what is"
Posted By: g5m Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 11/29/16
And that memorable line, "What don'cha want?".
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 12/05/16
Highly recommend if you are a mans mans.
Posted By: Hotload Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 12/06/16
Originally Posted by g5m
And that memorable line, "What don'cha want?".

Another funny line, as the two fumble thru a heist -

"Y'all are new at this ... I reckon"
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 12/12/16
IMO not as good as "No Country For Old Men", but still pretty good.

Posted By: Hotload Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 12/30/16
Originally Posted by 43Shooter

+1 ... it needs a really bad guy like Javier Bardem.
Posted By: cal74 Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 12/31/16
Watched it last night, wasn't bad and it kept my attention but wasn't all that wonderful either and wouldn't watch it again.

Did laugh at the waitress though...
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 01/02/17
I thought it was badass. Very good movie. Especially the last 10-15 minutes.
Posted By: Flyer01 Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 01/02/17
another line about the TV Evangelist "he wouldn't know god if he crawled up his pant leg and bit him on his pecker "

Posted By: Kenneth Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 02/05/17
Watched it last night, very worthwhile.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 02/05/17
Originally Posted by Hotload
really bad guy like Javier Bardem.

Javier freaked me out in that movie, quite the performance.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 04/02/17
Originally Posted by Hotload
Originally Posted by 43Shooter

+1 ... it needs a really bad guy like Javier Bardem.
Jeff Bridges was the bad guy.
Posted By: krupp Re: HELL OR HIGH WATER - 04/17/17
Best movie I've seen in a few years.
© 24hourcampfire