Home
Posted By: kstockfo shotgun suggestions for kids - 10/01/21
What are you guys starting your kids out with? I would like to start with a youth 870 in 20 gauge, but since the demise of Remington, I'm open to suggestions. My 2 boys are 8 and 10 and there is a local SCTP chapter in the local school that I'd like them to join. Thanks for all advice.
kstockfo
When mine were young, I started them out on a single shot Pardner 20 gauge!

Very safe, with one shot at a time, and it taught them how to work and respect the Firearm,
with two boys, I didn't have to worry about, other rounds in the chamber, as kids get excited,
as we do, with hunting situations!

Both those Boys turned out to be fine young Men, one a Marine Corps Sniper, and the other,
a very proficient Hunter/shooter!

Was even able to teach other fine young Men the same Way, and then, even Donated those Firearms,
to them, as they have taught theirs!

Kinda tough since they grow too fast to keep fitted and you don't want to slam their brains around in their skulls too much.

Mine uses a Yildiz o/u in 20ga. The loads are about the same as .410. When he's big enough it'll be a Beretta A300 with appropriate loads.
i started my son with a ported 20 ga. 870 Remington at age 8 then when he turned 13 i got my son a Beretta auto 390 12 ga. if i did it again i would just have got him a 12 gauge auto probably just the 390 Beretta and use 1 oz. loads. my reason is the 12 ga. auto has less recoil with 1 oz. loads than the 20 ga. pump did even with 1 oz. loads.i would have also put a gracoil recoil pad system on this shotgun so i could adjust it for length as he grew.
I got my son a Stevens 320 field compact. It is a super nice rig for a low amount of money. He is 10 and can shoot 3 rounds of trap with it no problem with 7/8oz loads. He smashed some doves with it this year as well. He seems to really like shooting trap so I may bump him up to something a little nicer one day but I have zero complaints about the Stevens. I have no plans to get rid of it when we upgrade, I will dove and rabbit hunt with it all day long.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/97944/stevens+320fld+20+ga+22in+youth
The 870 is probably the safest shotgun ever made. Can be run as a single shot easily and, as a repeater, it will only fire the additional rounds if they are manually cycled into the chamber. I do a lot of duck hunting out of a canoe and will always shoot an 870. If your kids can handle the weight difference of a 12 ga, I agree that this is the way to go with reduced loads. If not, the 20 ga is a great round and a sweetheart with 3/4 oz loads. . Look for a good used one and they'll be in the $450 range. Have fun.
Posted By: hanco Re: shotgun suggestions for kids - 10/03/21
I bought my boy a 1100 youth 20 gauge, he shot it well at 10, put a recoil pad on it when he got a little bigger for more length. My granddaughter shoots it now. She is 5’2, maybe 110 lbs.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Has anybody seen/used a Weatherby SA20? Or a Mossberg SA08?
Get a Mossberg 500 Bantam. They come with stock spacers so that you can increase the LOP as they get bigger.
Posted By: keith Re: shotgun suggestions for kids - 10/08/21
Single barrel 20ga is hard to beat, cut the stock for their length of pull, do a trigger job on them if you can, 12 pull does them no good at all.
Posted By: Biebs Re: shotgun suggestions for kids - 10/09/21
I have two single barrel Trap guns with 13.5" LOPs. One is a Browning BT99 and the other is a Rottweil AAT72. I'd make a deal on either one.
Originally Posted by keith
Single barrel 20ga is hard to beat, cut the stock for their length of pull, do a trigger job on them if you can, 12 pull does them no good at all.

I agree!
Originally Posted by hanco
I bought my boy a 1100 youth 20 gauge, he shot it well at 10, put a recoil pad on it when he got a little bigger for more length. My granddaughter shoots it now. She is 5’2, maybe 110 lbs.

I did the same. 1100 kicks less than single barrel or an 870.

When they grow, put on a longer stock.

We still have that gun. Boy is 42, has his own family. May be getting time to go back with the short stock Generational stuff.

DF
Mossberg 500 20 gauge.
My son was about 8-9 when he started with an 870 20ga youth, then we figured out he was left eye dominant. Switched to a BPS and never looked back.
As far as SCTP goes, I have 2 high schoolers shooting and I also help coach. My advice would be to start with a BT-99. I made my son and daughter both only do 16yrd and Handicap their first year (my son started in 6th grade and daughter as a freshmen). Had them focus on the fundamentals before getting into skeet/doubles/sporting clays.
They both have State and National titles to their credit, and love the shooting sports. There are many great people and kids from all over the country they have met through the sport.
Keep it fun, keep it positive and it will last them a lifetime.
A magnum load out of a single barrel or even pump will rock a kid that age. I even did a limbsaver job on the single shot I had as a kid and it still too much my sons. Not to mention most have terrible triggers.

Winchester makes some low noise and low recoil 20ga shells.

I'd find a youth auto loader of some sort. Preferably gas. I bought my oldest a franchi affinity youth 20 but it is a pos. Lucked up on a cheap 1187 youth during the walmart close outs. Its been wonderful. My 10yo put two boxes through it at doves over a couple hunts and it didnt even phase him. Took his first turkey at 9 with it last season shooting some strong tss loads.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: keith Re: shotgun suggestions for kids - 10/20/21
Make their first experience with a shotgun a GREAT one! Light recoil to begin with...they are NOT happy with heavy trigger pull of a single shot, nor the recoil of some big azz kick. Some of the kids never get over the recoil, and the heavy trigger pull makes it difficult for them to shoot.

Gas operated 20ga is a dream, especially if it is a light 20 Rem 1100 with a 20" barrel.

For guys that hand load, they can load light 3/4 oz loads in their 12 ga, but I hope you stone the sear or cut a coil off the hammer spring.

Limb Saver Air tec recoil pads are the best in the industry, think slip ons.

In our family, youngsters have a battery of pellet guns and bb guns till they are 13-14 when they are big enough to handle a full size gun. They are started off with 22's, bolt guns only. Aim Small-Miss small is the saying we all repeat to this day.

Killery, I would have a 11"-18" of that picture on my man cave wall!
May want to check out the Tri-star line. I bought my 7yr old the compact semi auto 20 and he can easily handle the TSS loads for turkey. Besides the action lock being a tad goofy, it is a sweet shooter.
Posted By: JOG Re: shotgun suggestions for kids - 11/07/21
I just went through this for grandkids. I went with a Browning BPS Micro Midas in 20 gauge. It's not the cheapest up-front, but should work out well as time goes by. With the tang safety and bottom eject left handers won't be a problem, the LOP is 13" with two additional 1/4" spacers, and Browning offers a "growth insurance" deal that's 50% off a full size stock - which I did immediately.

The kids will have access to a nice 20 gauge for now and for life. I have a good pointing dog so for now on pheasants I'll go with 7/8 oz. 6 shot at a touch over 1200 fps.
Posted By: erich Re: shotgun suggestions for kids - 11/11/21
I'm going with the 870 with light loads and a full length plug in it to make it a single shot. Even better would be a semi auto with a full length plug. It locks open after the shot and all they have to do is drop a round in the opening and press the bolt release.

Single shot break opens with a hammer are just not kid friendly, having to pull a hammer back that can easily slip with small, cold or wet hands, having to release a hammer if the shot isn't taken, heavy recoil even with light loads. 20ga are not pussy cats, I shot a 20ga sxs at an International skeet tournament when my 24gram 12ga loads didn't show up on time and even with target loads in the shotgun I hurt after 200 rounds.
As far as recoil is concerned, agree with a gas autoloader with youth stock.

With my son, it was a 20 ga 1100. When they grow up, just swap to full sized stock.

DF
I started my son off with a 20 gauge Remington 870 and light dove loads. For my daughter I bought a Remington 1100 for when she’s old enough to shoot. Supposedly the 1100’s are supposed to be a soft shooting gun even by autoloader standards.
All my kids first shot gun experience has been with my old 410 single shot. I like starting them with small steps and keeping things simple, enjoyable and safe.
With rifles, all 4 kids started with a red rider BB gun, then my BL 22LR, my oldest 2 are now moving into a 243.
870 youth model 20 ga is hard to beat.
Posted By: jc189 Re: shotgun suggestions for kids - 01/05/22
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by hanco

I did the same. 1100 kicks less than single barrel or an 870.

When they grow, put on a longer stock.

We still have that gun. Boy is 42, has his own family. May be getting time to go back with the short stock Generational stuff.

DF

Me too. Remington 1100 20 ga was also the first shotgun dad got for me back in the late 60's. great gun. put thousands of rounds through it. Shot Dove, quail, pheasant's, chukar, rabbit, lots of clay's. Even killed a couple of deer and a few pigs with it. My kids and nephews shot one. and my grandchildren will be shooting one in a year or two. Reading these post's brings back lots of memories.
Posted By: keith Re: shotgun suggestions for kids - 01/07/22
Rem 1100 special field in a 20 ga is dream come true, 21" bbls, light weight.
"You can spend more money on a shotgun but you can't get more shotgun for the money if you buy an 870" . I can't remember who said that but it's a quote I've always remembered. Now if I could only remember it when I decide to get another shotgun...

https://www.hyattgunstore.com/images/D/1333386-sav%2022156.png

Stevens 555 Compact Youth, 24” barrel 20 ga.
Originally Posted by pete53
i started my son with a ported 20 ga. 870 Remington at age 8 then when he turned 13 i got my son a Beretta auto 390 12 ga. if i did it again i would just have got him a 12 gauge auto probably just the 390 Beretta and use 1 oz. loads. my reason is the 12 ga. auto has less recoil with 1 oz. loads than the 20 ga. pump did even with 1 oz. loads.i would have also put a gracoil recoil pad system on this shotgun so i could adjust it for length as he grew.

Way, way smarter than the average bear.
Originally Posted by kstockfo
Thanks for all the suggestions. Has anybody seen/used a Weatherby SA20? Or a Mossberg SA08?

I bought my son one these in 28 gauge. He still needs another year to grow into it but pretty slick little youth gun.
Posted By: hanco Re: shotgun suggestions for kids - 01/22/22
We bought my boy a youth 1100 20 gauge, put a recoil pad on it when he got about 12 for extra length.
Good points. Grew up on pumps as a kid. Lots of good memories. Taking notes as my boy has another 2 years at least then I can start looking.
Posted By: Teal Re: shotgun suggestions for kids - 02/13/22
I started on a bolt action 410 and graduated to a Nobel 12ga. That sucked. Shot 2 always ended up with a bloody nose from where my thumb hit on recoil. Moved to a Rem 31 very quick.

Fit for short arms will be key.

I'd look for a soft shooting gas 12 GA and light loads.
My dad bought me a Winchester Model 370 Youth in 20 ga when I was 8. The lightweight gun kicked like a mule and I hated pulling the trigger and developed a flinch that took years to overcome. I got a Rem 1100 12 ga when I was 12 and liked it much more. I still have the 370 but I never use it. I started my sons (3) with a single shot 410 then a Beretta 303 in 20 ga.

Yup started my oldest son out with the Mossberg SA20 it has been a workhorse and I’m thinking about buying myself one. Great shotgun!
Posted By: keith Re: shotgun suggestions for kids - 05/13/22
Beretta 390 in 20ga is what they run in Argentina on the dove fields where guys can shoot 1000 shells per day. Recoil is a HUGE factor for youngsters!
Get them going on good, modern autos now.

Benelli or Beretta.
Posted By: szihn Re: shotgun suggestions for kids - 05/14/22
I agree with UPHiker. The Mossberg pumps in 20 gauge cover a lot of ground very well and work very well too. The M500 action (only in 12 gauge) is what the Navy and Marines adopted as their combat shotgun with good reasons They work VERRY well and Mossberg has a lot of features you can get to make them fit about anyone.
Originally Posted by deflave
Get them going on good, modern autos now.

Benelli or Beretta.

Agree 100%
Originally Posted by JOG
I just went through this for grandkids. I went with a Browning BPS Micro Midas in 20 gauge. It's not the cheapest up-front, but should work out well as time goes by. With the tang safety and bottom eject left handers won't be a problem, the LOP is 13" with two additional 1/4" spacers, and Browning offers a "growth insurance" deal that's 50% off a full size stock - which I did immediately.

The kids will have access to a nice 20 gauge for now and for life. I have a good pointing dog so for now on pheasants I'll go with 7/8 oz. 6 shot at a touch over 1200 fps.

This was a fine choice IMO!
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58

Very safe, with one shot at a time, and it taught them how to work and respect the Firearm,
with two boys, I didn't have to worry about, other rounds in the chamber, as kids get excited,

Both those Boys turned out to be fine young Men, one a Marine Corps Sniper, and the other,

Was even able to teach other fine young Men the same Way, and then, even Donated those Firearms,

Excellent choice. I agree with getting them a single shot. A 20 gauge is a good/great place to start as well. That is what I started out on and have no complaints. A single shot teaches you a lot, like making that 1 shot count!!! More people should start out with them.
Started my son with a 20 ga Rem 1100 with youth stock. Now it has std wood and still in use.

Gas guns kick less. The 20 ga. 1100 is pretty light. I still think this was about ideal. Swap wood when they grow up.

DF
Started my son with a 20 ga Rem 1100 with youth stock. Now it has std wood and still in use.

Gas guns kick less. The 20 ga. 1100 is pretty light. I still think this was about ideal. Swap wood when they grow up.

DF

^^^ this ^^^
Your first choice was what I started both of my boys with . 870 youth models in 20 gauge . Bought them a case of shells each and found clay pigeons on closeout at Wallmart for .99 a case so I bought 20 cases and two throwers. Short 1100's would be good also .
I started my son with a Remington 1187 Youth Model 20 gauge. He loves it! He just shot 22 out of 25 with it at a 4-H competition. This shotgun reall checks a lot of boxes. Heck, I’d love to take it out for flooded timber mallards and wood ducks, myself.
An 870 20 gauge is a great do just about everything shotgun. A used 1100 would be a great choice if you want one of the lightest recoiling shotguns available.
I started out with a Steven’s 311 dbl barrel 20 ga still have it I started my own son out with a savage 24 22/410
My first gun, 50 years ago ( I was 8 at the time), is a Winchester Model 370 youth, 20 gauge, I still have it today. I hated shooting that shotgun, it kicks like a mule! For my sons (3), I started them with a 410 and 28 ga, both much easier to shoot than a light weight 20. If I were starting today, I'd look for a Mossberg pump in 410. Poor shooting habits learned with guns that kick too much for young (and sometimes mature) shooters are hard to overcome.

DF

^^^^ This times 2 or three ^^^^^

the only issue with an auto is making sure it keeps running, and the tendency to empty the mag at birds.

Depending on the boys stature, I'd also look at the remigton 870 youth and the Mossberg 500 youth.
Single shot .410. Teaches kids to make every shot count, low recoil & fun to shoot
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
870 youth 20 was my first gun . My dad got it for me when i was 10 or 11. Im 36 and still use it turkey hunting . Now my son hunts with it. Be hard to beat that

DF
Follow up on this gun.

My New Orleans tax lawyer son-in-law has never shot a gun, doesn't own one. He was invited to a big Mississippi dove hunt by a high end client.

He and family were visiting Labor Day weekend. I took him behind the house, set up my electric clay thrower and we shot clay targets over the pond. He did fair, has a ways to go. He was told there will be a LOT of doves at the upcoming hunt, so maybe he can knock down a few. At least he shouldn't be too embarrassed.

I told him to just take the gun, put it on a top shelf in his bedroom away from his kids. I showed him how to put two rounds in the mag, empty chamber and how to shuck a shell in the chamber if he needs to protect his home. I told him those dove loads (gave him 6 boxes) would be perfect for in home defense, as bird shot is lethal at close range, but doesn't go thru walls like heavier shot. I feel better with him having at least one shotgun in his house, living in the N.O. area. Although they actually live in Old Metairie, things can happen there, too.

I showed him the youth stock that I still have and how I can quickly change that gun back to youth configuration if my 6 yr old grandson ever wants to learn to shoot it. So, that gun could become a generational thing.

Years ago, I loaned it to my business partner to start his son with it. It was at his camp on the Red River when it was stolen by natives. The sheriff recovered it and that boy is now a jet pilot and top notch sheet shooter. If fact, he out shoots his dad with clays, but put feathers on a bird, the old man is hard to beat. He's a Cajun and knows how to cook those birds, doesn't have much use for clays.

So, this gun's been around and looks like it's still going places.

DF
just don`t get a kid a single shot with a hammer to cock that is too dangerous with those small fingers to cock and decock.
Originally Posted by pete53
just don`t get a kid a single shot with a hammer to cock that is too dangerous with those small fingers to cock and decock.
Or a T/C Contender set up as a .410. Letting the hammer down from full cocked position puts the firing pin on the primer. You gotta cycle that action to bring up the hammer block. No cycle, no hammer block. That’s hard enough for an adult to remember.

DF
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
870 youth model 20 ga is hard to beat.

At about ten years old I was gifted with a 20 gauge full-choke single shot that came (covered in camo-painted masking tape) from a pawn shop. Dad and his shooting friends said something to the effect "410s are for really good shooters, 20s give results that a kid can see". At about age 14, after a few seasons with the hammered single, a few pheasants, mallards and lots of doves, I had mowed enough lawns to buy my own 870 in 20 gauge with a modified choke. It was fun to carry in the field and held its own on the clay bird warm-up sessions before dove season began.

The single-shot was especially safe. The 20 gauge was just right. The full choke was too much. I became a better wing shot and didn't feel the need for a 12 gauge until Canada geese and early-flushing sage grouse became part of my life. I started my sons with a single-shot 20 (modified choke). I still have that original 870 and it still carries well.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Excellent choice. I agree with getting them a single shot. A 20 gauge is a good/great place to start as well. That is what I started out on and have no complaints. A single shot teaches you a lot, like making that 1 shot count!!! More people should start out with them.

I’m gonna give two points of advice, and hopefully don’t offend anyone.

Single shot, exposed hammer guns of any caliber are not good choices for beginner shooters in my opinion. There are more than one reason why, but here’s 2.
(A) how does the shooter prepare it to fire? They cock the hammer. You really trust an 8 year old to undock the hammer safely? I don’t.
(B) recoil is substantially more than a semi auto, especially a gasser

A single shot with a safety and not an exposed hammer, much safer choice.

My recommendation would also not be a Bottom eject pump. They can jam when short stroked and be a PITA to clear.

An 870, a Bantam, etc with lighter loads in 20 gauge can be pleasurable to shoot, many stock options to shorten or lengthen as they grow, and many customizable options. Reliable guns as well. Buy one with a medium length barrel, not the shortest barrel. Ever tried to wing shoot with a 21” barrel? There’s a reason why trap shooters choose long barrels.

Set your kids up for success, which includes safety.
Granddaughter is 7 now, and been turkey hunting since 5. We started her in Rem 1100 with cut down stock and it works great.
Less recoil than the 870, and you don’t have to worry that much about double tapping. Just load one at a time. My son and daughter were started with a youth 870 and still have it, but they were a little older when I started them.
I personally would recommend a good semi/auto simply because of recoil.
Originally Posted by Jstocks
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I’m gonna give two points of advice, and hopefully don’t offend anyone.

Single shot, exposed hammer guns of any caliber are not good choices for beginner shooters in my opinion. There are more than one reason why, but here’s 2.
(A) how does the shooter prepare it to fire? They cock the hammer. You really trust an 8 year old to undock the hammer safely? I don’t.
(B) recoil is substantially more than a semi auto, especially a gasser

A single shot with a safety and not an exposed hammer, much safer choice.

My recommendation would also not be a Bottom eject pump. They can jam when short stroked and be a PITA to clear.

An 870, a Bantam, etc with lighter loads in 20 gauge can be pleasurable to shoot, many stock options to shorten or lengthen as they grow, and many customizable options. Reliable guns as well. Buy one with a medium length barrel, not the shortest barrel. Ever tried to wing shoot with a 21” barrel? There’s a reason why trap shooters choose long barrels.

Set your kids up for success, which includes safety.

I agree on the jamming issue on bottom eject actions, however it is still the best choice for a leftie kid IMO&E. I like the BPS better than the 37, but have both.
Single shot
Mossberg bantam youth 500 in 20ga. Bought my son one in camouflage and my daughter one in pink camouflage for their 5th birthday.
© 24hourcampfire