Home
Posted By: Orion2000 Western KY Report ? - 01/10/21
Headed out this morning with a couple buddies. Will hunt Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday a.m. Anyone seeing birds ?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/10/21
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Headed out this morning with a couple buddies. Will hunt Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday a.m. Anyone seeing birds ?

I have a nephew that hunts with a friend of his who has a good place down around the lakes, and he says the hunting has not been good. May just be that one particular spot. The weather has not been cooperative either.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/13/21
Birds are north, where there is no pressure and warm weather. Good luck.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/14/21
Had a good time. But, birds were only so-so. Four hunters. Total of 20 birds across 2.5 days of hunting. While we were there, one of the guys pulled up a video of Minnesota or Wisconsin with the skies dark with birds due to lack of really cold weather to push them south.... One of our group had a buddy hunting Reelfoot. Bachelor party of 15. Did not do much better than we did.

There's always "next year" ... smile
Posted By: JP_McNeal Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/15/21
Aint. No. Dux.
Posted By: Southern13 Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/16/21
Any dux around Counce?
Posted By: moreammoplz Re: Western KY Report ? - 12/08/21
Op.. I'll be hunting Reelfoot Thurs and Friday and will update when I get back. Is it worth stopping by Uncle Lees on way to TN? Last year the stock was so low it was a waste of time. Hoping to check out Final Flight in TN.
Posted By: pullit Re: Western KY Report ? - 12/08/21
If I had to pick one, Final Flight is way better than Uncle Lee's.

Forecast is rain Friday and into Sat morning, may be gone from Reelfoot area before shooting time on Sat.
No birds to speak of in the Camden, Big Sandy area. I have not talked to anyone that has hunted further west
Posted By: moreammoplz Re: Western KY Report ? - 12/11/21
Thursday at Reelfoot Lake was terrible, but today was really good. All kinds of ducks and coming from all directions. Biggest issue was getting the ducks before the bald eagles did. I feel sorry for the guys hunting Reelfoot tomorrow, weather is going to be rough. One guy in our group said there were hundreds of ducks in fields in Arkansas not far from Reelfoot, but their season was not open until SAT. Final Flight only had Hevi Shot loads for over $50 a box. Crazy how you can't find steel anywhere. Good Luck everyone.

Friday haul with my buddies at Reelfoot......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: pullit Re: Western KY Report ? - 12/11/21
looks like they may have been riding the front in that is supposed to hit tonight and tomorrow
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Western KY Report ? - 12/11/21
Originally Posted by moreammoplz
Thursday at Reelfoot Lake was terrible, but today was really good. All kinds of ducks and coming from all directions. Biggest issue was getting the ducks before the bald eagles did. I feel sorry for the guys hunting Reelfoot tomorrow, weather is going to be rough. One guy in our group said there were hundreds of ducks in fields in Arkansas not far from Reelfoot, but their season was not open until SAT. Final Flight only had Hevi Shot loads for over $50 a box. Crazy how you can't find steel anywhere. Good Luck everyone.

Friday haul with my buddies at Reelfoot......

Congratulations on the fine day of hunting. Hopefully there will be ducks in Arkansas come January! smile
Posted By: moreammoplz Re: Western KY Report ? - 12/15/21
Spoke to my guide and they are only killing 3-5 birds a day now on Reelfoot. He said a lot of ducks died in the tornado. I was lucky we left a few hours before the storm hit.
Posted By: moreammoplz Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/05/22
Any updates from the Western Ky folks? Heading back to Reelfoot on Saturday this week. Hoping the cold weather pushed some birds down our way.
Posted By: pullit Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/06/22
I have some buddies that are hunting in Camden TN today. I know that is not Western KY but it is not a terrible distance from there. I will let you know what they do when I hear from them.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/06/22
The guys here that I know that are waterfowl hunters tell me they have had a bad season so far, primarily to the warm weather.
Just talked to a buddy that is hunting Camden about 5 minutes ago, so far this morning they have only killed 5 birds and they are in one of the better blinds there.

I would have thought this front would have brought in the ducks, it is snowing like a mother here at the house and at Camden as well.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The guys here that I know that are waterfowl hunters tell me they have had a bad season so far, primarily to the warm weather.

I have only talked to one guy that has had a decent hunt in Ark. They did good one day and after that it was 2 days of killing geese, spec's and snows.
They were a little west and south of Stuttgart
Posted By: moreammoplz Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/06/22
Leaving tomorrow afternoon for 3 days of hunting. Hopefully one or two days are good. Can't kill them from the basement. smile
Posted By: pullit Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/07/22
Got some buddies hunting Reel Foot this coming Tuesday. I could not get off work so I can't go. I will let you know how they do.
Posted By: moreammoplz Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/07/22
I'm Hunting there Sat, Sun, Mon myself. I follow another guide in Hickman and looks like he is getting birds.
Posted By: pullit Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/07/22
Two buddies hunted Camden Bottoms yesterday with all the snow, they killed 7 and they are in one of the top blinds there. I sure thought they would have done better but they said the ducks just were not there. Very few came in that got back out.
Posted By: moreammoplz Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/11/22
Hunted Reelfoot Lake Sat, Sun and Mon.

Saturday - Weather was cold and wind was 8-10 mph and overcast. Never heard so much shooting in my life and saw hundreds and hundreds of birds high in the sky. Buddies and I ended up with 30 ducks.
Sunday - Cold and heavy rain. Most of the shooting was before 10 am, but some after 1 pm. Birds were really tough to work, but still ended up with 20 in the boat.
Monday - Started off at 21 degrees with light ice everywhere. Temp got up into the low 40's pretty quick with full sun. Beautiful day weather wise. Only ended up with 6 and left at 1 pm. Ran into a few guys that didn't ever see a duck.

All and all it was a good trip.

Posted By: moreammoplz Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/11/22
Final Note. Made it to Final Flight in Union City TN to look around. They had some steel shot in stock, but it was pricey. #6 shot was $35 a box and everything else was over $50 a box. Heavy Shot Brand.

One of my buddies picked up a new Franchi semi auto 12 GA. He had nothing but trouble with it, but finally got it to cycle. Few of the guys were using the Herter's branded shells and had good luck with them. Walmart in Hickman, KY had a bunch of 308, 30-30, 30-06 and dove 12 GA loads in stock, but limit 1 box per caliber.

Walmart in Union City had a bunch of 12 GA dove loads in stock. $8.67 for winchester and $29.99 for the 100 packs. They also had 308 and bricks of 22 lr if anyone is looking with no limit.
Posted By: pullit Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/11/22
good deal, I have some buddies going down tomorrow.
Will let you know how they do
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/11/22
Guided at reelfoot?
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/11/22
I need to get there one day.
Posted By: pullit Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/11/22
yes guided.
Posted By: pullit Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/12/22
just talked to my buddies, they only killed 4. Said they saw a lot but they would not work. They were right on the KY line about 100 yards from the refuge.
Posted By: moreammoplz Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/15/22
Hate to hear that I figured with the weather change it would be better than that. With the rain I was hearing the ducks were in the back water, but typically after a few days they move out.
Posted By: moreammoplz Re: Western KY Report ? - 01/29/22
Figured the Cold Front would help the duck hunters. Spoke to a guy hunting Reelfoot the last few days and they didn't even fire their shotguns two days this past week. Hunting is super slow.
© 24hourcampfire