Home
Posted By: longarm Waders? - 10/30/22
Is there such a thing as a decent pair that won't break the bank? I'm due for a new set
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Waders? - 10/31/22
Nope. They all leak. The new $1000 dollar sitka /chene/aspire are not tested long enough to make a claim.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Waders? - 10/31/22
I’ve got Rogers 5mm. $200 right now.

Rogers 5mm

I don’t hunt 60 days a year or bust a bunch of brush though.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Waders? - 11/01/22
When I was younger I always wore stocking foot with good boots. Public land hunting. Now I’m older and hunt mostly private ground and don’t walk as much. Going to try some Tidewe waders that were recommended by my cousin who guides in Idaho.

Last three pairs of neoprene all leaked. They sure don’t make them like they used to.
Posted By: greenomics Re: Waders? - 11/08/22
Just ordered some breathable from Roger's for about $225.
Posted By: pullit Re: Waders? - 11/08/22
I have a pair of LaCross Neoprene and would have to llook and see who the breathable ones are made by. I don't hunt like I did when I was younger but so far I am dry with both pair.
Banded has a really bad reputation for leaking. I know a few guys that have had issues with them.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Waders? - 11/16/22
I can't imagine wearing neoprene anymore. Those things are barbaric.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Waders? - 11/16/22
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

What's your recommendation? Neoprene is an improvement over the old rubber/canvas style in that you have more freedom of movement and they are warmer, but they don't go long without springing a leak at a seam.

I have a cheap (I'm all about cheap) lightweight pair made of PVC that at least haven't deteriorated with time. I use them before the weather gets a bit chilly. If they were bigger I could put on more socks or a felt liner for use in the cold.
Posted By: longarm Re: Waders? - 11/16/22
I ordered a breathable set with insulated liner that zips in/out. Will be my first set of breathable waders, hope they hold up as well to the occasional blackberry vine as my old neoprene set did
Posted By: munsterlander Re: Waders? - 11/20/22
Originally Posted by longarm
I ordered a breathable set with insulated liner that zips in/out. Will be my first set of breathable waders, hope they hold up as well to the occasional blackberry vine as my old neoprene set did
Just my experience with the zip-in/out liners. I throw the liners away and then cut out the cuff they zip on to down by the ankle. Otherwise, in the couple pair I have had, the cuff makes its it difficult to get the waders on and off. Your mileage may vary.
Posted By: ksfowler Re: Waders? - 11/20/22
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I’ve got Rogers 5mm. $200 right now.

Rogers 5mm

I don’t hunt 60 days a year or bust a bunch of brush though.
Same here I have looked at higher end waders but for me the Rogers last several years so it is not worth it.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Waders? - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

What's your recommendation? Neoprene is an improvement over the old rubber/canvas style in that you have more freedom of movement and they are warmer, but they don't go long without springing a leak at a seam.

I have a cheap (I'm all about cheap) lightweight pair made of PVC that at least haven't deteriorated with time. I use them before the weather gets a bit chilly. If they were bigger I could put on more socks or a felt liner for use in the cold.

I don't know about cheap.

Ive had good luck out if banded breathables. I usually get a season or two out if them. At least equitable to my life of neoprenes.

Heard good things about gator waders.

Sitka and chene gear are the latest. Not cheap. A few pair have showed up in duck camp. Really impressed. Waiting to see their longevity.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Waders? - 11/23/22
There’s a place for both…breathables and neos. I just ordered one of each from academy….their Magellan stuff is BOGO 50% off right now, and both of my Frogg Toggs have started leaking too bad. Got 3-4 seasons out of them, but stored them in the hot attic last year without thinking. My buddies down there just buy cheap academy branded waders….probably made by frogg toggs or lacrosse or such, anyway. Two pairs of their top end, one breathable, one neo for $300+ tax, beats other deals IMO. could always get a second pair for a buddy or kid.

The neos are better getting in and out of pirogues or standing in the miserably cold water all morning, so there’s that.
© 24hourcampfire