Home
Posted By: chesterwy Snow Geese - 01/07/23
Where’s a good place to go? Any good outfitters?
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Snow Geese - 01/07/23
Saskatchewan, western or northern Manitoba, and eastern Alberta in Canada aren't bad. The west 2/3 of North and South Dakota, eastern Nebraska, western Iowa, western Missouri, the rice fields of Arkansas, and central Texas angling over to the coast from Houston north to Louisiana, and coastal LA.

Ive been told there are also opportunities on the East coast in Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia but I haven't hunted geese there. Then there is the West Coast from Washington down into California though I haven't partaken in those states either.

I personally can't recommend any offhand, but there are plenty to chose from. I have my own equipment and meet up with others for more equipment and helping hands. I would look for those who have been around at least a decade to help winnow out the poor ones or those just getting started and may be limited in resources.
Posted By: haverluk Re: Snow Geese - 01/07/23
Been stacking geese like cord wood here in Northern California. MOA Waterfowl Outfitters is a good outfit.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Snow Geese - 01/07/23
Originally Posted by haverluk
Been stacking geese like cord wood here in Northern California. MOA Waterfowl Outfitters is a good outfit.

WOW!!

Some California vacation for them birds hey haverluk? Fantastic!

How many shooters were participating in that hunt and how much per day if you do not mind saying?
Posted By: haverluk Re: Snow Geese - 01/07/23
That day there were two sets of five shooters on adjoining fields. 10 shooters total. My layout group took 110 (seasoned shooters) and the other group took 66 ( had some younger/inexperienced shooters).

A person can take 20 snows and 10 specks per day.

They charge $275 per day and $225 for veterans.
Posted By: COLORADO_LUCKYDOG Re: Snow Geese - 01/07/23
That day there were two sets of five shooters on adjoining fields. 10 shooters total. My layout group took 110 (seasoned shooters) and the other group took 66 ( had some younger/inexperienced shooters).

I love the veterans discount and look for it everywhere I go now! Great shoot!
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Snow Geese - 01/07/23

Thanks for the information haverluk, those are very reasonable rates, that's for sure.

They must be putting out a ton of decoys to get that many to come in.

Fun Stuff!
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Snow Geese - 01/10/23

SWEET...

I bet that was damn fun.
Posted By: odonata Re: Snow Geese - 02/09/23
A friend of mine has a cousin who drives down to Arkansas from Alaska every winter. Whenever that happens we try to throw together a hunt of some kind in the area. This year his travel plans kept changing so at the last minute we booked a hunt with https://www.goosegrinders.com/ because they had an opening that fit our schedule. We liked our guide Trent a lot. The cost of $500 for 2.5 days (plus a tip) was reasonable. We got 126 geese hunting in Cash, AR. We lucked out by hitting a window of tolerably cold weather between an ice storm & torrential rain. YMMV

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Snow Geese - 02/09/23
Good hunt.

Hunting those a-frames are a game changer. It's hard to get back in a layout when you've been in one.

Sometimes you gotta get out underneath them though.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Snow Geese - 02/09/23
Did you guys move everyday and chase feeds or did you just hunt a permanent migrator spread?
Posted By: odonata Re: Snow Geese - 02/09/23
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Did you guys move everyday and chase feeds or did you just hunt a permanent migrator spread?

We hunted the same location (a soybean field) every day. We would hunt in the morning, break for lunch & then hunt again in the afternoon. From 11 to around 3-ish, it was pretty quiet. The morning hunts were consistently better than the afternoons although the weather was a factor sometimes. So over 2.5 days we basically had 5 separate hunts that yielded 48 + 14 + 44 + 4 + 16 = 126 geese. So the three mornings were all higher than the two afternoons.

© 24hourcampfire