Home
Posted By: nemotheangler Duck hunting boats - 07/23/23
Who's got one and what do you got?

Been refurbishing mine for the last month. 12' Valco flat bottom jon boat. 50" beam so plenty stable despite length.
Posted By: DUKFVR Re: Duck hunting boats - 07/24/23
GoDevil 1844 with a Backwater longtail
Posted By: Backroads Re: Duck hunting boats - 07/24/23
Wenonah Kingfisher

Canoes rule.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Duck hunting boats - 07/24/23
Factory camo 1860 Tracker center console with a 90hp Mercury. Homemade blind comes off for spring and summer fishing.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Duck hunting boats - 07/24/23
We've had a few; none at present. We had a layout boat, 10' with oars. We had a Larson aluminum from the 50's with bench seats and a 5.5 Johnson. Later upgraded to a 9.9. Ha. We had a wooden boat as well for a short bit. I don't recall using it much at all. Duck hunting from boats in my part of the world was dangerous. And lots of people have it more dangerous than we did.
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: Duck hunting boats - 07/25/23
I've got a couple dedicated duck boats:

Devlin Black Brant II Sneak Box that I built in 1990 with 25HP Mercury:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

and a Momarsh layout boat that I bought when I returned to KS:

Posted By: erich Re: Duck hunting boats - 07/25/23
Old Beaver canoe that I've had since the late 1970's I use it to access shooting spots, natural blinds and retrieve waterfowl.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Marshrat that I put oarlocks and a transom on to hunt where I have no shore blinds, muddy bottom or too deep. I use a trolling motor on it now.

Alumicraft jon I bought new in 1976 and it has evolved over the years, around 2000 I decked it over so I could use it out in the PNW coastal bays.

I could lock everything up in the cargo spaces and front hold so I could pull it anywhere and not have to worry about stuff getting stolen

Latest version, I added pods and built a SD for it, it gets some duck hunting in but the little boats are working better as I need a ramp to launch this. Now it is maily used to Bowfishing.
Posted By: erich Re: Duck hunting boats - 07/25/23
I really like the Black Brant you built.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Duck hunting boats - 07/26/23
Latest version, I added pods and built a SD for it, it gets some duck hunting in but the little boats are working better as I need a ramp to launch this. Now it is maily used to Bowfishing.

Do you see a significant flotation difference with the pods?
Posted By: Chuck_R Re: Duck hunting boats - 07/26/23
Originally Posted by erich
I really like the Black Brant you built.

THANKS!

It was about 4 months and a little bit of a PITA to build while I was stationed in KS. Not a lot of marine materials around, everything had to be ordered. The draft is a little deep, but it works extremely well for open water. I've flooded it completely and it still floats and can be driven. One of the safest small duck boats I've hunted out of. Does well for 2 guys and a dog, you can use it like a "big" layout boat, due to the low profile.

I'm going to retire in DEC, so next spring it's getting an overhaul, and new coat of camo.
Posted By: erich Re: Duck hunting boats - 07/26/23
Yes on the floatation, I wouldn't have done the heavy SD motor without them.

I have a backboard in the jon boat and sit in the cockpit. I'd back it into a tidal cut and no blind was needed it would just disappear.
Posted By: WMR Re: Duck hunting boats - 08/04/23
My house looks like the graveyard of small boats. I love the darn things. When we pass one at a roadside sale, my wife grabs the truck handle, cause she knows I’m stopping quick. My most used is a Grumman Sport Boat. My sentimental favorite is an old Alumicraft Ducker. Light and stable, that thing is a wonder.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Duck hunting boats - 08/05/23
WMR I'm still looking for a Grumman sport boat. Lucked out awhile back and scored a 19' Grumman freighter canoe but would still like a Grumman sport boat..mb
Posted By: WMR Re: Duck hunting boats - 08/05/23
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
WMR I'm still looking for a Grumman sport boat. Lucked out awhile back and scored a 19' Grumman freighter canoe but would still like a Grumman sport boat..mb

That freighter must be a load carrying beast. We like our Sport Boat a lot. It’s not a flyweight but it’s stable and comfortable. An older 4hp Evinrude makes it buzz right along. It’s just big enough for two, plus the dog and a few decoys.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Duck hunting boats - 08/05/23
Yeah, the load rate plate says 1035 lbs. Or 7 people I don't think either of my 16' aluminum fish boats are rated that high...mb
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Duck hunting boats - 08/06/23
Mine's a 18' Gatortrax with 45hp Mud Buddy. Works great on shallow lakes and the big river.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: DUKFVR Re: Duck hunting boats - 08/06/23
Backwater longtail & 1844 GoDevil boat

Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Duck hunting boats - 08/07/23
24 foot SeArk, but looking at buying a 23 foot Duckwater
© 24hourcampfire