Home
Posted By: nemotheangler Swan Hunting - 09/26/23
14 Year old son got a tag. His older brother and I struck out, as is our luck all things tag related last two years.

Anyway, any advice?

Watched a guy last year set up about 500 yards from us (we were duck hunting), take his deeks out, spend 30 minutes beaking ice and setting them up, within 5 minutes of legal shooting time two swans came into his spread. Bang, splash, packed up within 30 minutes of daylight.

So I have seen it done, any other tips or tricks?

Thanks,
Posted By: tops911 Re: Swan Hunting - 09/27/23
Where I hunt we pass shoot swans, just figure out the flight pattern and sit and wait.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Swan Hunting - 09/27/23
The only few I've known killed were either pass shot or stalked and shot on the rise.
Posted By: Blaserman Re: Swan Hunting - 11/02/23
We have a swan hunt in Delaware. Draw permit
I think 358 resident and nonresident permits.my girl friend drew last year kill a swan we were covered up
with them. We both drew this year. Waiting for them to fly
usally starting around Thanksgiving.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Swan Hunting - 12/02/23
I wish someone would come here and hunt those annoying birds
Posted By: MonkeyWrench Re: Swan Hunting - 12/02/23
We had SD tags in '09. Hunt was as you described (the latter scenario). Pretty anticlimactic. My buddy had his mounted; I ate mine. He made the wiser decision...
Posted By: Ducker Re: Swan Hunting - 12/31/23
We've been hunting Tundra Swans since the '80s in NC. Majestic birds, and the young ones (gray feathers) taste fine. The older ones make good sausage, chili, stew, etc.

Supposedly, they do mate for life. I don't know - not been to swan divorce court. I do know firsthand that when you shoot one of a pair, the other will circle above you, calling for some time. Not the best feeling. After a few of those, I made it a point to shoot singles, or always try for the gray feathered one in a pack.

Good Luck. I've always enjoyed Swan hunting - great time to break out a 10 gauge.
© 24hourcampfire