Home
Posted By: JSmith62198 Duck Hunting in KY? - 10/30/18
My wife and I are possibly relocating to the Georgetown/Lexington KY area due to a job transfer. I am not familiar with the area. I mainly hunt whitetail and waterfowl in eastern NC but travel to hunt some as well.

I’m trying to get an idea of the hunting in the area. Are there hunting clubs available to join? How’s the waterfowl hunting? I know western KY has birds but not sure around Lexington. Just trying to get an idea of the obstacles that I’m facing. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Feel free to pm me if you don’t want to post. I am not looking for any specific locations or anything of that nature. Just some guidance so I can get started preparing for next year.

Thank you,
J
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Duck Hunting in KY? - 11/06/18
I hope I’m wrong, but don’t think that the Lexington, Ky. area will at all resemble eastern N.C., for waterfowl. Western Ky. is a whole different situation. Great duck hunting there!
Posted By: JSmith62198 Re: Duck Hunting in KY? - 11/08/18
Yes, you are correct. Looks like I’ll be driving quite a bit if the transfer takes place.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Duck Hunting in KY? - 11/08/18
as my friend just east of there said, "It sucks."
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Duck Hunting in KY? - 11/11/18
At least you aren’t all that far from good duck country. I bet western Kentucky has some great waterfowl hunting. You can always head back down east and hunt familiar territory. You ever hunt the Green Swamp area?
Posted By: JSmith62198 Re: Duck Hunting in KY? - 11/11/18
I haven’t hunted the Green Swamp area. I mainly hunt in Bertie, Edgecombe, Hyde, and Martin Counties. Killed a three man limit of gadwall this morning for the opener. Looks like the move is going to happen so I’ll be driving to western Ky some.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Duck Hunting in KY? - 11/11/18
decoys or jump-shooting?
Decoy. I like their feet down when I shoot them. It saves me money on shells lol.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Duck Hunting in KY? - 11/12/18
nice mess of grays, and a teal in there too?
Posted By: JSmith62198 Re: Duck Hunting in KY? - 11/13/18
Yea a couple teal birds. There’s a ringer in there too.
Posted By: ZKight89 Re: Duck Hunting in KY? - 11/13/18
I'm working in Plymouth right now, been looking for ducks every where I've been up here and have only seen two wood ducks and a few Canada Geese so far..... JSmith is it legal to hunt on any of the rivers around here with public ramps or only ones in Game Land areas?
Posted By: JSmith62198 Re: Duck Hunting in KY? - 11/13/18
ZKight89 I’ll send you a pm with some pointers.
Posted By: ZKight89 Re: Duck Hunting in KY? - 11/13/18
Thanks JSmith.
© 24hourcampfire