Home
Posted By: bobski must haves for a duck boat - 03/27/20
youre about to shove off. you look around and off you go. there you are in your blind and just then, you remember what you forgot.
no going back, here come the ducks!
what are those must have ooops, i forgot......... that should be in your boat?
License, shotgun, shells, and decoys. Anything else I can go without.
Life jackets
Posted By: NVhntr Re: must haves for a duck boat - 03/27/20
Thermos of coffee, rubber gloves, snacks, call necklace with a couple hundred bands on it to show my prowess.
For the boat a push pole. I use to never wear a life jacket but I’m getting smarter and wear one in the dark now. To many logs and obstructions in a river. The blind bag is different.
Posted By: bobski Re: must haves for a duck boat - 03/28/20
can an ore or paddle double for a push pole?
Posted By: bobmn Re: must haves for a duck boat - 03/28/20
Too short in length
Posted By: Bows Up Re: must haves for a duck boat - 04/01/20
Change of clothes in a waterproof bag. Only used twice in decades but a wonderful, possibly lifesaving "must have".
Posted By: bobski Re: must haves for a duck boat - 04/01/20
i did say a john boat didnt i?
not 24' pleasure craft! lol!
Posted By: Bows Up Re: must haves for a duck boat - 04/02/20
Light bag, crushable clothes with the air squeezed out, is quite small. In my 10'6" mod v glass boat, no problem with 24 dekes etc hunting solo.

Wading waist deep in January, I stepped into a beaver/muskrat channel and went in over my head. By the time I'd changed my wool pants were frozen stiff. Picked up the rig and motored out. By the time I reached the truck my teeth were chattering uncontrollably. Don't know what it would have been like without dry clothes.

YMMV.
Posted By: pete53 Re: must haves for a duck boat - 04/05/20
head lamp so i can see in the dark better
Posted By: longarm Re: must haves for a duck boat - 04/06/20
Head lamp, coffee, face mask and gloves, ammo specific to the gun you are carrying ( uh... yeah), a seat to keep you sitting comfortable out of the water/mud, calls, camo neoprene for the dog if it's extremely cold and she's swimming a lot.
I'm not hate'n on ducks too much so put a couple bikini clad babes on there to bring me more bourbon and pleasure me. laugh
I would think of the plug in the drain hole first.
That one will only happen once.
Compass and GPS. Flashlight and headlamp. Marine VHF radio and flares if you are out on big water. Bailer. Seat cushion. Anchor and line. Boat hook. Duck ID guide.
Posted By: JJWise Re: must haves for a duck boat - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by Texczech

You beat me to it. I just got my first boat about a month ago, and my first time out I made that mistake. Luckily I realized my mistake before leaving the dock, but I did have to pull my boat up on the trailer and sit in the parking lot for 10minutes to drain it out before trying again.
Originally Posted by JJWise
Originally Posted by Texczech

You beat me to it. I just got my first boat about a month ago, and my first time out I made that mistake. Luckily I realized my mistake before leaving the dock, but I did have to pull my boat up on the trailer and sit in the parking lot for 10minutes to drain it out before trying again.

Yeah, I bet if your like me that will only happen once. 😉
your Lab!
your Lab!

I've never left him behind but I have forgot to put the plug in. Luckily it wasn't too far from the launch point.
Posted By: erich Re: must haves for a duck boat - 07/11/20
I find a decoy hook pole about as handy as it gets. I hunt alone most of the time and it makes picking up decoys a snap. I guess you could put a duck bill on the handle end and have a 2in1.
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Compass and GPS. Flashlight and headlamp. Marine VHF radio and flares if you are out on big water. Bailer. Seat cushion. Anchor and line. Boat hook. Duck ID guide.

DRAG anchor...for big water, dead motor, and bad weather, keeping the bow into the wind can be first priority. Spud pole. Some chem lights in red, green, and white ain’t a bad idea either. A rod for knocking out the stuck squib wad or cleaning the mud out of your barrel after your swims, can be handy. Fire starter. Spanish brandy. wink
Posted By: Loper Re: must haves for a duck boat - 07/15/20
Ear plugs. I know some guys don't use them, but I've forgotten mine before and my ears were ringing for the rest of the weekend. Now I keep a pair in my jacket, a couple pair in my blind bag, and several in my boat.
shovel handle, the D shape type on the end of a closet pole.

The cheap way out. Used it for years.

HM
Portable coleman propane stove, skillet, spatula, fillet knife, and everything else you may need to make fresh duck quesadillas...o yeah and a marine radio
Originally Posted by Loper
Ear plugs. I know some guys don't use them, but I've forgotten mine before and my ears were ringing for the rest of the weekend. Now I keep a pair in my jacket, a couple pair in my blind bag, and several in my boat.

Of course it makes the duck blind trash talk hard to hear...
Duck boat ...huh

Buddy heaters (use filters they freeze up without them), and a Campchef stove to make fresh biscuits and gravy with.

It’s the hard life folks

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire