Home
Posted By: Deans Quality Air Rifle - 12/03/20
Thinking of purchasing an air rifle since Texas has ok'd the use of them for hunting. Stipulation it has to be 30 cal are better. Did a little research and found they are available in 30, 35, 45, and 50 caliber.
What would be a quality air rifle to purchase?

TIA

Deans
Posted By: killahog Re: Quality Air Rifle - 04/16/21

FX Impact .
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Quality Air Rifle - 04/17/21
here
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Quality Air Rifle - 04/26/21
I am from Texas, have used .177 air rifles for years for pest control. I currently have a Hatsam .30 break barrel, with a Hawke 2x7 scope and a Dommy FL Suppressor on it. The "std" Hatsam pellets are 44.75 gr, and Predator has a pellet the same weight with a polymer tip that is very accurate. I am also using pellets by JSB and FX of .30 that weigh 50.2 gr. My rifle shoots the 50 gr pellets more accurately than the 45 gr ones. Both will shoot through a piece of 3/4 plywood. I have killed squirrels and a racoom with these so far, and found some HP versions that weigh 62 gr I hope to try on hogs. The 45-50 gr pellets chromo close to 600 fps at the muzzle. The rifle is accurate to 25 yards, and I have't yet tried it at longer distances. This is a heavy rifle - close to 10 pounds with a very attractive Turkish walnut stock. From size and weight alone, I'd call it a "Adult" air rifle, but the price is MUCH lower than .30 PCP air rifles - and the performance is impressive!. Sort of reminds me of shooting heavy - 300 gr + - hard cast bullets at sub sonic velocities with my suppressed .44.

Mike Holmes
© 24hourcampfire