Home
Posted By: Montivagant Swallows & Sparrows.... - 04/20/21
Have long enjoyed the annual return of the violet-green and barn swallows. Last year, the English sparrows took over all of their historic nests. Tacked some screen over the nest holes last fall until after the VG swallows showed up a couple weeks ago but those persistent sparrows low-holed them. After a couple days of sparrow population control with my faithful old FWB 124D saddled with an SWFA 10X, the VG's are now moved back into their rightful places. Barn swallows shouldn't have any problems either when they arrive soon.

Use to only perforate starlings but sparrows are now on the same list....
Posted By: dbowling Re: Swallows & Sparrows.... - 04/20/21
Sparrows are just as bad or worse then Starlings.
Posted By: Boise Re: Swallows & Sparrows.... - 04/20/21
I took on my local english sparrow population with a RWS Model 48, a side cock .177 rifle that was deadly accurate. I sighted in on the blue spruce which seemed to be the contention focus. After shooting an untold number of the invaders I started to see all sorts of native birds. The sparrows attempted several counter attacks through out the summer but heavy losses led to them withdrawing from the area. My current home doesn't have the issue with sparrows but the red squirrel have taken a beating and fox squirrels are moving in and are welcome here.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Swallows & Sparrows.... - 04/21/21
Kill every sparrow you can.
My problem is the sparrows and Eurasion doves are soooo skittish. I can crack the back door as quietly as I can, they fly off like rockets. Everything else just sits there like, what?

The little buggers are smart, I will give them that.
© 24hourcampfire