Home
Posted By: j2dogs Pellet gun purchase - 02/02/22
Have a rat problem but I live in town what's the cheapest most accurate Rat eradicator I can purchase traps and poison are out since we have a bunch of cats running around.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/02/22
Get a Daisy 880 pump up. When I was a kid, I slew a mountain of rats at the local marina with a Daisy 880.
Posted By: kragman1 Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/03/22
A cheap suggestion - midway currently has the Crosman Shockwave .177 on sale for $69 delivered.
Nitro piston, silencer, good power.
You won't know how accurate until you get the oil out of yours, tighten all the screws and test it. But it should easily be minute of rat.
Posted By: j2dogs Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/04/22
Tried to do some research. Looks like for budget priced and accuracy combined that gamo is hard to beat plus they have made an attempt to keep the db's down that combined with a heavier. 22 pellet to keep the crack of supersonic down. Had a treasure trove of bb guns when I was a kid, this will be my first attempt into the pellet gun world. Will try to keep posted how it goes.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/05/22
Those cats aren't doing their job laugh
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/05/22
I'd shoot the cats and then put out rat poison.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/07/22
I just picked up a Umarex Airem ( 177 at 1200 fps) $84 on Amazon right now. Wanted something to mess around with blackbirds and starlings at my girlfriend's house and too many neighbors to safely shoot a 17 or 22. Shot a few times and sighted in easily keeping shots on a 1" dot at 25 yards. Came with a cheap 4x scope .
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/08/22
Daisy 901. It's just the 880 with a much sturdier buttstock and forearm. They're relatively cheap, accurate, and the ability to adjust velocity/noise can be very handy.

Mine shoots both the Norma Superpoint 8.2gr and Crosman 7.4gr pointed pellets great, and they're very effective on pests up to squirrel sized out to 15-20 yards. Shooting off a bench, it'll keep 5 shot groups inside a nickel at 15 yards with a Williams peep sight.
Posted By: Boise Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/09/22
I sold my RWS 48, it was LOUD. Had to shoot heavier pellets to prevent breaking the sound barrier. I'm MUCH happier shooting a suppressed 22 LR. CCI Quiet is like 675 fps and you can shoot them without a can and still be quieter than a big springer. BUT the CCI Quiets don't shoot accurately in my rifles and I hear others saying the same. My bolt rifle with standard velocity ammo is quiet, heck I fart louder.
Posted By: 450BM Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/12/22
I have an RWS 48 too. Yeah, it’s loud with any pellet. And even though they are “forward” recoil, no pain when shooting but it feels violent.

I killed A LOT of sparrows and starlings with a Daisy 880 with pellets and BB’s. Killed even more pigeons with an FWB 124 177cal springer.

Get good (heavy) pellets and probably any of the cheap springers would work well. Try one from WalMart, return it if it won’t shoot accurately and try something else.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/14/22
Originally Posted by Blackheart

grin grin grin
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/16/22
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Blackheart

grin grin grin

put out poison for both
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/16/22
My vote would be for the new Crosman 362 pump gun for around 100 bucks. It's based on the Crosman pistol pump gun design that's been around forever. It comes in .22 caliber and since it's a pump gun you have the advantage of varying the power level.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/17/22
Originally Posted by IMR4350
My vote would be for the new Crosman 362 pump gun for around 100 bucks. It's based on the Crosman pistol pump gun design that's been around forever. It comes in .22 caliber and since it's a pump gun you have the advantage of varying the power level.

I didn't know they had brought those back. Crosman had stopped producing the multi pump 22 rifles for years. That would definitely be a good option. I may have to check one of those out myself.

You can still get the Benjamin pumper in 22, but the new style stock on it is terrible to trying to use open sights. I have an older one in 5mm, but the pellet selection for it is really limited.

The old Daisy 22s (basically an 880 in 22)were a pretty good rifle too, but again, discontinued for quite a few years now. It seems like everyone gave up on pumpers anything bigger than .177.
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/17/22
zcm82,
The 362 is a recent introduction. It has a much better stock than the Benjamin. Since it is based on the 1322 pump pistol most of the after market parts available for the 1322 will fit the new Crosman 362. I'm going to get a steel breech for mine.
Posted By: colodog Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/17/22
For a cheap one I'd have to agree with 10Glocks suggestion. A Daisy 880 with a rifled barrel for pellets or bbs $69 from Amazon.

I've given mine away some years ago but they work fine and they're cheap.
IMR4350

Crosman used to make a 22 rifle with the same (or a very similar) powerplant as the 1300 series pistols. It was the 1400 or 1420 or something like that. It sounds like this "new" 362 is basically a reintroduction.
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/17/22
Originally Posted by zcm82
IMR4350

Crosman used to make a 22 rifle with the same (or a very similar) powerplant as the 1300 series pistols. It was the 1400 or 1420 or something like that. It sounds like this "new" 362 is basically a reintroduction.

You may be correct. Either way it's a very good rifle at that price point.

They were an excellent little rifle. My old man had one when I was a kid, but somewhere along the line he got rid of it. I'll definitely be checking one of the new ones out when they hit stores around here. I haven't really kept up on the air gun game much lately, so I'm glad I saw your post about it. 😁
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Pellet gun purchase - 02/17/22
IMR4350

The 1400 was a lot different than the 1300 or the new 362. The 1400 was way better made as were all of the Crosman and Daisy air guns from that time period. They both have substituted a bunch of plastic and aluminum for steel, brass and wood over the years.
Originally Posted by colodog
For a cheap one I'd have to agree with 10Glocks suggestion. A Daisy 880 with a rifled barrel for pellets or bbs $69 from Amazon.

I've given mine away some years ago but they work fine and they're cheap.
They should be cheap since they're made in China and mostly plastic.
This guy is looking for a backyard and garage plinker, not an elephant rifle. It doesn't need to be a 9 pound club built out of indestructium.
This guy is looking for a backyard and garage plinker, not an elephant rifle. It doesn't need to be a 9 pound club built out of indestructium.
It might be nice if it wasn't made in China so as not to support those communists any more than neccessary. There are lots of inexpensive Crosmans that are still made in the USA. The Crosman 2100 Classic for instance is only a few dollars more that the Daisy 880, is of similar power with rifled barrel, has a die cast zinc receiver as opposed to the Daisy's plastic and is made in USA.
You were just knocking Crosmans for not being well made anymore 2 posts ago... pick a lane.

I own both Daisy and Crosman .177s, and they both work fine. I prefer the 901 because it's a bit more accurate and the stock fits me better, but both an individual's ergonomics and mass produced items vary per unit.
You were just knocking Crosmans for not being well made anymore 2 posts ago... pick a lane.

I own both Daisy and Crosman .177s, and they both work fine. I prefer the 901 because it's a bit more accurate and the stock fits me better, but both an individual's ergonomics and mass produced items vary per unit.
They are nowhere near as well made as they were back in the 60's and '70's. I have several from that time period and know of what I speak. The Crosman 2100 is still better for the reasons listed above than the Chinese 880. My Rogers Arkansas Daisy 881 from the 70's is also much better made than the current Chinese 880's. Just this morning I was shooting my third variant Crosman 760 {circa 1974-1975} and todays 760's are simply not in the same ballpark.
© 24hourcampfire