Home
Posted By: Rangersedge Air rifle recommendations - 03/12/22
Trying to decide on an air rifle. Four purposes. Shooting starlings & sparrows in trees. Shooting starlings & sparrows in barn with metal roof (that I don't want to put holes in). Squirrel hunting. Shooting practice for self, wife, young son (nearest neighbor half mile away so would be able to shoot air gun without as much concern).

Thinking about a PCP with variable power so could meet all needs with one gun; but... No experience with one or any of the modern air guns. Definitely open to springers, etc. if those might be better options. Would like to keep total cost with scope, etc. below $750 - below $600 would be great.

Any recommendations?
Probably an old Benjamin pump with 1 or 2 pumps would be best for what you describe. Even a low powered springer like the R7 will shoot right through a tin roof. But, when you move up to squirrels you need more power. For that a R9 in .22 would be my choice. Not a fan of PCP, they are just too much hassle for the occasional shooting I do. I am considering selling my R9, PM me if you are interested. There are a million reviews of them on the internet - all good.
Posted By: Timbo Re: Air rifle recommendations - 03/16/22
Originally Posted by centershot
Probably an old Benjamin pump with 1 or 2 pumps would be best for what you describe. Even a low powered springer like the R7 will shoot right through a tin roof.

The pump up Benjamin/Crossman 397 would be my vote as well. I'm a fan of spring guns, but most will penetrate a tin roof. With the pump up guns you can decide how much power you need. Set up an old piece of tin and find out how many pumps you can take before damaging the metal. You can always up the pumps when you need more power for squirrels.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Air rifle recommendations - 03/25/22
Air aventuri synthetic in 22 or 25 cal with hand pump no scope $560 everyday
Damn fine gun
Search it on youtube
Posted By: Terryk Re: Air rifle recommendations - 03/26/22
R9 or R7 from Beeman.
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Air aventuri synthetic in 22 or 25 cal with hand pump no scope $560 everyday
Damn fine gun
Search it on youtube

These are nice guns. I've got the Avenger in 22 and 25 now. Easy 1" at 50 yards.

I don't know about the metal roof though. Even with the regulator dialed down, I think you might punch through the metal roof.

If you can spend a little more, the wood stock version is a nice upgrade. I've got a wood stocked 22, plastc 25. Both shoot very well. The plastic just feels a little flexy. The wood stock does add a little weight.
© 24hourcampfire