Home
Anyone have a Beeman R 9, or other springer that they have installed a red dot sight on?

Am thinking this might be a great combo for small game, such as squirrels, crows, etc.

Would it hold up to the recoil OK?

Thanks! Virgil B.
I’ve tried dots on my springers, but only a cheap red dot from Bass Pro actually held up. I had it on my tuned R9 and it worked pretty well. It’s trail and error when mounting optics on a springer. Good luck with your search.
Thanks xposo!

Just in the thought process so far.

Sounds like a good sighting system IF it works.

Virgil B.
I think it would work fine, but my R9 is way more accurate than a 3 moa red dot (What my Burris FF III is). I prefer the magnification and precision of a scope.
Originally Posted by centershot
I think it would work fine, but my R9 is way more accurate than a 3 moa red dot (What my Burris FF III is). I prefer the magnification and precision of a scope.

I agree. It would work, but an R9 deserves better.
I had a cheap red dot on a Stoeger .177 X3 for my kids and they loved it.i could shoot ok groups with it at 10 meters but not so much at longer distance
I never thought about how much of the "target" (squirrels) the red dot would cover.

Good point!

Virgil B.
Reddots are good for pistols and close shots at running targets and work best at close ranges. However, you are sacrificing the benefits of magnification that allows you to see in darker, long rang and to pick out targets hidden in brush etc.

You should look at fixed and variable low power scopes like Leupold 1-4 power and 2-8 power scopes. Ask you local gun store about Leupold take off scopes.
The magnification of a scope really helps see small targets in brush. Look at a Leupold 1-4 power scope. Reddots are really good for close quick shots where fast target acquisition is key. All you have to do is put th dot on the target.
I have a Beeman R9 in 5mm. The previous owner mounted a RWS 3-9 40mm scope on the receiver (break-barrel cocking action). The rifle proved adequate for one shot kills on pest birds out to 50 yards.
© 24hourcampfire