Home
Posted By: longarm Raccoons - 08/12/22
What is the minimum requirement with an air gun to put a raccoon down?
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Raccoons - 08/13/22
A Benjamin .177 pump will do the trick - the newer 397 works well enough without breaking the bank. But anything pushing a pellet at 1,000+ fps range will work. A lot depends on the range you will be typically shooting. More pellet weight traveling at a higher velocity always makes for a better hunter rifle so stepping up to a .22 isn't a bad thing.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/benjamin-multi-pump-air-rifle-black-kit?m=4942
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Raccoons - 08/13/22
If you want ta go with what has a good chance of making a humane kill, .177 is out.

25 FPE is a minimum, probably want at least 30.

That means a decent performing .22, but probably .25.

If you're gonna be consistently huntin coons, I'd go with .25.

If it'll just be for the occasional target of opportunity and you prefer it, a good .22 will do.
Posted By: Timbo Re: Raccoons - 08/14/22
A 177 to the head will normally kill them fairly quickly, but a 22 would be a better choice. It's like anything else, as long as you're shooting them at a range suitable for your weapon, you'll be fine.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Raccoons - 08/15/22
raccoons in Minnesota can be larger air gun does a poor job my 22 K-Hornet works much better,coons can be tuff to kill.
Posted By: Dusty246 Re: Raccoons - 08/15/22
I finally eliminated the coon that ripped apart my Hav a Heart trap. He was tearing it apart with his teeth, has gotten out of it twice, unreal strength. Now to see if I have another in the attack before I rebuild the soffit. Pete is correct coons here are big as well and they shrug off a pellet gun unless a perfect shot and they never sit still.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Raccoons - 08/15/22
I've potted a few with a .177, but 22 works a lot better. A good 22 pellet to the dome and they're done... solid boiler room shot they expire pretty quickly, too.

That's just backyard pest control, though. If I were actually regularly hunting them with an air rifle I'd use a peppier 22 than what I have, a 25 or 30.
Posted By: Ella Re: Raccoons - 08/16/22
I use a 5mm Blue Streak for keeping them out of the chicken pen. Works fine. The tricky part is holding the flashlight so you can see the sights and the critter while keeping the rifle steady.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Raccoons - 08/16/22
That brings back some memories. On my 7th birthday I gifted with a Blue Streak. Thought I was king of the world and based on the bodies I piled up with it, I was.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Raccoons - 08/16/22
My dog treed a medium sized coon in an apple tree in the back yard. One shot in the head from about 20' with my Crosman 766 and it toppled out and hit the ground dead.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Raccoons - 03/12/23
I used my Career 707 PCP in 22 to take out a couple of raccoons that destroyed the interior of my father’s house. It worked great. It’s roughly the equivalent of a 22 short. A better solution would be a bolt action 22LR shooting 22LR subtonics which would be a lot quieter.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Raccoons - 03/12/23
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One nights Coon trapping. Rio7
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Raccoons - 06/03/23
Great job, Blue
© 24hourcampfire