Home
I've given up on a web search so maybe someone here can help me with my questions regarding this air rifle?
I bought a used but like new Benjamin/Sheridan Model 397 PA pump up 17 caliber air rifle yesterday.
My questions are:
#1 - How many times should I pump it up for Starling eradication (range 20 to 30 feet)?
#2 - Where should I put lubricating oil - if anywhere?
#3 - I overheard a conversation years ago between airgunners about storing the pump rifles with one pumps worth of air in the mechanism to "save the seals" - is this proper?
Thanks for any advice regarding this Rifle.
I took it out immediately and pumped it up 5 times and shot it. I did this 5 times and it worked very well. This to make sure the Rifle had no internal air leaks or malfunctions.
Its okay as far as I can see.
Thanks again
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Well,

I just picked up a Crosman/Sheridan C9A in .20 cal which is the same gun..Mine is in nickle ,though, so I guess that makes it a Silver streak.

As far as the number of pumps goes, I think 6-8 should do it. You are not supposed to pump them over 8 pumps I believe.

And yes, leaving 1-2 pumps worth of air is a good idea to keep the seals pliable.

My system is leave two pumps in it, and then put 6 more in it beofre firing the first shot.

As to lubrication, please note that the hole under the forend is marked "air intake- do not oil" so don't do it.

Really the newer guns have synthetic seals I belive so really just pu a few dropps of lube on the pivot points of the lver and you should be good to go.

As to anything more involved, if you have breakdown etc, MAC-1 distributors in California is THE place to have one of these guns serviced. Tim MacMurray who runs the joint is kind of a crabby cuss at times, but NOBODY in the US knows more about what makes the old pupmers tick than he does..

My new "Silver streak" is going to get a Wllimans made Crosman peep sight bolted onto the right side of the breech- that's what those two holes are for..
Jim62: Thank you so much for the information!
I was wondering WHAT those two holes were for!
I just shot "clean through" a 7UP can full of water with 5 pumps and the 17 caliber pointy pellet!
And at 20 feet distant I hit real close to the "red cherry" in the center of the 7UP can - I was using this red cherry as an aimpoint.
I am getting excited about "scaring away" the Starlings from my trees once they return here in the spring.
I hope it only takes a few "examples" to make this flock of poopers and nest robbers decide to leave for good.
I will look inot the peep sight option myself.
Thanks again
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire