Home
Posted By: Remington6MM Urban Coyotes - 10/10/14
How much air gun do I need to kill coyotes at 40 yards or less?
I live in an urban neighborhood and the coyotes around here are getting bolder and bolder all the time. Cats are disappearing everywhere, including my favorite Tuxedo Tom, and they are running in a green belt right next to my house. A firearm is out of the question as there is an elementary school 200 yards away. Would like to stay under $500. If possible but I am really sick of these coyotes.
Posted By: ramrod340 Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/10/14
Do a quick search in youtube. There are several videos of coyotes taken with an air rifle. Most are 25cal PCP. You can probably get the rifle for $500 but scope and pump (or tank) will get you closer to $750.

IE
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/pre_packaged_deals/Benjamin_Marauder_PCP_Air_Rifle_Synthetic_Stock/6067

Posted By: deflave Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/10/14
Buy a can for your 22.

Travis
Posted By: carlm Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/11/14
A firearm is out of the question as there is an elementary school 200 yards away.
Posted By: cranky72 Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/11/14
we had a terrible problem in austin so city concil hired trapper, caught 7 yotes in 1st week near a buddy. maybe you can find a local hunter--trapper to assit. have to watch out for trapped pets cranky72
Posted By: tmitch Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/11/14
As much as I like my .25 cal PCP, you can pretty much duplicate it's ballistics (31 grain pellet @ 800 fps)with a CCI .22 Long CB load....29 grain bullet @ 710 fps. The CCI .22 LR Quite load is a 40 grain bullet at 710 fps. If it's too dangerous to use those, then it is for the airgun also. Any of them will be head shot only if you want them DRT.
Posted By: northcountry Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/12/14
Walmart has the 25 PCP for under $500.00. There is a 22 sub-sonic with a 60gr. bullet that would have more energy if
considering sub-sonic rounds. Cheers NC
Posted By: deflave Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/12/14
Originally Posted by carlm
A firearm is out of the question as there is an elementary school 200 yards away.

I believe that is due to sound. Not the projectile. A modern air gun is doing the same thing a 22 is.

Travis
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/12/14
Originally Posted by ramrod340
Do a quick search in youtube. There are several videos of coyotes taken with an air rifle. Most are 25cal PCP. You can probably get the rifle for $500 but scope and pump (or tank) will get you closer to $750.

IE
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/pre_packaged_deals/Benjamin_Marauder_PCP_Air_Rifle_Synthetic_Stock/6067

PCP guns are noisier than a 22LR and much louder than a CB Long.
Posted By: carlm Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/12/14
Just going by what the OP said. If he is weapon literate and I think he is, surely he entertained a firearm already. The issue could be noise, muzzle flash, ricochet, or whatever. Not sure about the .22 firearm to .25 airgun comparison...and I own both. Yes a modern airgun will do the same thing a .22 firearm will-in a very different way.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/12/14
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
How much air gun do I need to kill coyotes at 40 yards or less?
I live in an urban neighborhood and the coyotes around here are getting bolder and bolder all the time. Cats are disappearing everywhere, including my favorite Tuxedo Tom, and they are running in a green belt right next to my house. A firearm is out of the question as there is an elementary school 200 yards away. Would like to stay under $500. If possible but I am really sick of these coyotes.

Snares may be the answer for this situation. Hang in places they are crawling under fences or on trails through brush or high grass.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/12/14
I agree with Travis that a can on on one of my .22's is the answer but I don't have access to a can that I know of. A buddy of mine brought over his German made 177 and when I shot it I was amazed that it made more noise than a subsonic .22. I have killed three using the subsonic, but that is when school was out and I had the advantage of using my office as a suppressor. Just opened the window a few inches and made a nice clean head shot at about 40 yards. Pop and dead. I think I will look on YouTube again and see what it takes to build a can.

Travis, is your machine shop up and working?

W. Bill
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/12/14
Actually, you gave the answer - - a trapper. Maybe, you.
Posted By: deflave Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/16/14
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I agree with Travis that a can on on one of my .22's is the answer but I don't have access to a can that I know of. A buddy of mine brought over his German made 177 and when I shot it I was amazed that it made more noise than a subsonic .22. I have killed three using the subsonic, but that is when school was out and I had the advantage of using my office as a suppressor. Just opened the window a few inches and made a nice clean head shot at about 40 yards. Pop and dead. I think I will look on YouTube again and see what it takes to build a can.

Travis, is your machine shop up and working?

W. Bill

Just buy one.

Travis
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/17/14
A 220 Conibear is much quieter and more deadly. Make sure you can set it where no kid could get into it and you would have to worry about someones dog getting in it too.

Setting snares on likely paths in/out of the greenbelt may be an option too, same precautions as above.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/17/14
If you could stretch your budget a tad, you could get into a big bore air rifle. Something like a 9mm.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/29/14
22 pumper. Benjamin if you can, a little light but aim well and they killed my cat so to hell with them,
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/29/14
Originally Posted by ConradCA

IE

Some might be. Others most definitely are not. A .25 cal Marauder is so quiet, and so unlike the report of a firearm, that the impact of the pellet will draw the most attention.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Urban Coyotes - 10/30/14
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by ConradCA

IE

Some might be. Others most definitely are not. A .25 cal Marauder is so quiet, and so unlike the report of a firearm, that the impact of the pellet will draw the most attention.

Very true about the Marauder especially if you modify it a bit with a shroud extension & give it the B-staley mod. which is very easy to do...
© 24hourcampfire