Home
Posted By: HE112 Co2 BB pistols for home defense? - 11/10/17
I live in a high density apartment building, and while I have several firearms to use for home defense, I have been relying on my K-BAR knife should someone break in, or if I suspect great danger from multiple attackers or a very aggressive break in, will pull my Glock 19 pistol in 9mm. Been watching some of the videos on You Tube where they use BB Co2 pistols and these really rip up bare skin, been thinking of one of those as an option to just drive off and rip up a burglar over my 9 mm pistol? If they are wearing a coat, not a good idea, but I live in Central Texas and it is hot most of the time, so would meet with skin and T-shirt.

Also, would the Co2 cartridge damage or leak down concerning the seal if left loaded all the time?

Anyone know of a case where one was used to drive off an intruder?
Why not load Glazer Safety slug ammo in the 9mm? Seems like it was designed for the scenario you are concerned with.
#1 Don't shoot someone unless your life is in danger.
#2 Don't shoot someone unless your intent is to kill them
#3 Don't make them mad. Make them dead.

If you can figure out a way to make a BB gun do that, have at it. I'd stick with a 9mm, and better yet, a 12 GA and a 9mm.

#4 If you live in a spot where you think it is likely you'll need to shoot someone to save your own life, it is time to change where you're living.
You could put someone's eye out with it!
. . . and make them mad.
The CO2 will leak. The bb will not do more than bruise the assailant even with a fresh CO2 cartridge. I would stick with the Glock. Or the KaBar. Or a rolling pin.

I have heard of people being scared by bb guns that look like real guns. Sometimes scared enough to shoot the guy using the bb gun.

I guess I should say I base this on a Crosman that looks like a Walther P-38 that I ventilate aluminum cans with. It won't penetrate tin cans. You may have some other weapon in mind.
is this a joke post? I really hope so, but if not, might I suggest a rubber band, and 1/2 a paper clip! :-)

-TomT
Get one of the Kimber pepper spray launchers, and a sword.
Unless you are a trained knife fighter I would reserve the K bar for last ditch effort . . . aka no more 9mm in the magazine and someone is still coming after me.
I've dispatched a few intruding vermin with my trusty 1377. All one shot kills...well, except that one marsupial took some additional coaxing..stupid wadcutters
Sling shot with a marble
I have a reworked Crosman 2240 .22 caliber CO2 pistol that will put a pellet through a 7/8" pine board up close and blows through both sides of a dog food can from 30 yards. It kills rabbits and squirrels easily. I wouldn't want to rely on it for defense but I wouldn't want to get shot with it either. It'd definitely do more than raise a welt.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I have a reworked Crosman 2240 .22 caliber CO2 pistol that will put a pellet through a 7/8" pine board up close and blows through both sides of a dog food can from 30 yards. It kills rabbits and squirrels easily. I wouldn't want to rely on it for defense but I wouldn't want to get shot with it either. It'd definitely do more than raise a welt.

Next time you shoot a deer, bring the 2240 along and pop in behind the front leg from 5-10 yards. I'd be curious how much lung a decent pellet can penetrate.
You risk the burglar shooting back with a real gun. Bad idea in my opinion unless you don't have another option.
Move. Seriously, if you are that worried about a break-in - time to relocate.
I can see the story on the news.... "A local man confronts armed intruders with air pistol and both simultaneously laugh themselves to death. Details at 11."
Sounds like a good way to end up dead...
This thread ought to be required reading.

crazy
Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
Sling shot with a marble

00B.
This gun belongs to a coworker if mine. I doubt you'd like to have it eating you up. Fast forward to the last bit to see it rip.

https://youtu.be/skMSp-BUWoE
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Get one of the Kimber pepper spray launchers, and a sword.

^^^^^This^^^^^

Presumably, the pepper spray is for assailants just out of sword range. You might consider installing readily accessible manual lawn sprinkler controls for extended ranges. If the building manager refuses to grant access to the irrigation system, a garden hose with one of those turbo nozzles would probably suffice.
When I was a kid we would have BB Gun Wars.

Uniform of the day was leather jackets and no eye protection.

So shoot them in the eye and make them cry.
Originally Posted by HE112
I live in a high density apartment building, and while I have several firearms to use for home defense, I have been relying on my K-BAR knife should someone break in, or if I suspect great danger from multiple attackers or a very aggressive break in, will pull my Glock 19 pistol in 9mm. Been watching some of the videos on You Tube where they use BB Co2 pistols and these really rip up bare skin, been thinking of one of those as an option to just drive off and rip up a burglar over my 9 mm pistol? If they are wearing a coat, not a good idea, but I live in Central Texas and it is hot most of the time, so would meet with skin and T-shirt.

Also, would the Co2 cartridge damage or leak down concerning the seal if left loaded all the time?

Anyone know of a case where one was used to drive off an intruder?

You might lose your self defense argument in court because by using a bb gun your proving that your life wasn't in danger.
© 24hourcampfire