Home
Posted By: longarm Which air pistol? - 05/16/19
Fits this description :
Kills starlings and Collared doves out to 40 yards or so..
Accurate..
Inexpensive.

I've owned the Crosmam 1377 (no mods) and it was... OK. Sites were wonky and the seal seems to have broken (no pressure).
Is 22 a better option than 17 for my application?

Thanks in advance. Cherries will be ripe soon and man I hate starlings.
Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy Re: Which air pistol? - 05/17/19
40 yards with an air pistol is quite a stretch...
A PCP like a Benjamin Marauder Air Pistol would be up to the task, but those aren't what I would call "inexpensive", plus you would need a pump, so add another $50-$100 onto the price of the pistol.
For the money, you may be better off upgrading your 1377 with a 14" barrel, Steel Breech kit, and new seals. All available from Crosman direct or SEVERAL aftermarket resources like AlchemyAirwerks.com or AllianceHobby.com.

You don't need the FPE of a .22 for Starlings and the flatter trajectory of a .177 would be better for you. I believe in the adage ".177 for feathers, .22 for fur".
Posted By: longarm Re: Which air pistol? - 05/17/19
Thanks HD, the upgrades are the way I'm going to go
Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy Re: Which air pistol? - 05/18/19
IF your climate allows for Co2, maybe a 2240 build along the same lines would work.
I put a .177 barrel on one with the Crosman steel breech and assorted other goodies and came up with a very accurate "1740" but it is only useful above 65(f) degrees.
Posted By: longarm Re: Which air pistol? - 06/11/19
[Linked Image]

Kept the .177
Longer barrel, larger transfer port, steel breech, nicer sights, some trigger work.
Waiting for starlings now..
Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy Re: Which air pistol? - 06/14/19
Nice!
Posted By: longarm Re: Which air pistol? - 06/16/19
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Nice!

Starlings and Collared doves beg to differ..
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Which air pistol? - 06/17/19
Originally Posted by longarm
[Linked Image]

Kept the .177
Longer barrel, larger transfer port, steel breech, nicer sights, some trigger work.
Waiting for starlings now..

How much did that cost you? What did you do to the trigger?
Posted By: longarm Re: Which air pistol? - 06/18/19
Whelenman
A buddy of mine who is an airgun enthusiast volunteered the upgrades as a thank you for some work I've done. He said he had all the parts hanging around. I am very thankful, as the gun is now a completely different tool from the original and as such has become very useful
© 24hourcampfire