Home
Posted By: Lw308 What Springer? - 04/17/20
I have been watching these guys on YouTube shooting, pigeons, doves and rabbits with airguns. It has inspired me to get one. I have a RWS Diana 34 .177 rite now but it seems awful load. I would like to have one supressed. Thinking about going with a .22cal instead. What would you get? Like for it to obviously have a threaded barrel and a nice wood stock.

Would I be fine with what I have and just getting my barrel threaded and adding a Hawke optic?
Posted By: dbowling Re: What Springer? - 04/17/20
Find a BSA LIGHTNING XL .22 spring version not gas piston, already suppressed and very quiet.I have both and the spring version is my favorite, the gas piston gun is alot harder to cock with just a little more power. Ive killed squirrels with mine 35-40 yds away and Starlings 45-50 yds.
Ive got 12 or so springers RWS,BEEMAN,COMETA,CROSMAN etc and this is the one I hunt with the most.

Your gun will work fine on anything up to pigeons as long as you hit them where you need to, as far as having barrel threaded you could have a airgun smith make a shroud that fits over the barrel and works as a silencer plus they look nice if done right.

https://imgur.com/a/5BhG8NN
Posted By: colodog Re: What Springer? - 04/19/20
The first thing I'd try would be heavier pellets. (Not sure what you're shooting now)
Springers often sound quieter to me when shooting heavier pellets and I'm not sure if it's the mechanics of slowing the piston a fraction by giving it something to push against or keeping the pellet sub-sonic.

Good luck! Let us know what you figure out!

PS, I've been very pleased with my Hawke airgun scopes.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: What Springer? - 04/18/21
Originally Posted by Lw308
I have been watching these guys on YouTube shooting, pigeons, doves and rabbits with airguns. It has inspired me to get one. I have a RWS Diana 34 .177 rite now but it seems awful load. I would like to have one supressed. Thinking about going with a .22cal instead. What would you get? Like for it to obviously have a threaded barrel and a nice wood stock.

Would I be fine with what I have and just getting my barrel threaded and adding a Hawke optic?

I would buy this rifle from Mike Melick and have him tune it before shipping. I sent him my Ruger Air Hawk to repair the trigger and tune. It is much quieter, the trigger feels like a set trigger, and the rifle is even more accurate.

XISICO XS25S - clic pic
[Linked Image]
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: What Springer? - 04/19/21
I just ordered this one.

clic pics - how cool is that?
[Linked Image from hardairmagazine.com]

Posted By: RicG Re: What Springer? - 01/27/22
I have the Air Arms TX 200. Beautiful walnut stock and gorgeous bluing. It is very accurate. You could do a lot worse.
Posted By: Timbo Re: What Springer? - 01/27/22
Originally Posted by colodog
The first thing I'd try would be heavier pellets. (Not sure what you're shooting now)
Springers often sound quieter to me when shooting heavier pellets and I'm not sure if it's the mechanics of slowing the piston a fraction by giving it something to push against or keeping the pellet sub-sonic..

I was going to comment the same thing. A slightly heavier pellet will generally quiet things down some. Noise is relative, but I never found the 34 to be an excessively loud gun.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: What Springer? - 01/28/22
Yep.

X3 for trying heavier pellets. You already own one of the finest springers out there. I don't know the names.........but, possibly send it out for a tune by one of these guys that are commonly mentioned here.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: What Springer? - 01/28/22
I agree with getting the tune and to use heavier pellets. Both will help you. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: jkingrph Re: What Springer? - 01/29/22
I have a HW 97k, underlever and a weihauch moderator for it. The moderator does "moderate" the sound some, but with a springer a lot of the sound comes from the spring releasing and stopping
Posted By: jkingrph Re: What Springer? - 01/29/22
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I just ordered this one.

clic pics - how cool is that?

I like that and may have to think about one in the future. For now I am supposed to have a HW 98 on the way from the Netherlands on Monday.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: What Springer? - 02/21/22
The "best springer" I have is a Hatsan Carnivofre 135 in. .30. Billed as "the world's most powerful break barrel" (by Hatsan) , it shoots with max energy of 34 FPE, max velocity of 590 FPS - with 45 - 50 gr pellets. Total weight is 9.9 lbs, has a two stage adjustable trigger, Turkish walnut stock, and SRP is roughly $300. They can be bought from Midway or others for less than $250. Powerful and accurate and the .30 pellets are pretty deadly! Has a Vortex gas piston, so maybe it doesn't really qualify as a "springer"? Being a break barrel, tanks or compressors are not needed. Very handy for varmints & small game. I like mine a lot!

Mike Holmes
Posted By: centershot Re: What Springer? - 02/21/22
https://www.straightshooters.com/decibel-ranking-of-airguns.html
Posted By: Big Stick Re: What Springer? - 02/21/22
Hint..............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: What Springer? - 02/21/22
I have a Weihrauch HW95 in .22 caliber. It's German made and probably one of the best break barrel springers you can buy. It has the famous Reckord trigger which is excellent. You can put a silencer on it but I don't think you need one.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: What Springer? - 02/21/22
I hear Good Thangs. Hint..............(grin)
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: What Springer? - 02/22/22
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Hint..............

I'm guessing those don't get to play in the creek.

I'll bet any springer would make a hell of a Super Soaker if you cocked it, then let it fill up with water, before firing......lol
Posted By: Big Stick Re: What Springer? - 02/22/22
MM,

I wish they made true S/S offerings. The Nickle trumps Blue,but laminate trumps the synthetic for ergo's and I fret bores more than anything. Hint...............
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: What Springer? - 02/22/22
Those are definitely the 'top shelf' spring guns.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: What Springer? - 02/22/22
The do Nice Thangs,but the FWB 300S is where it's at. Hint..............
Posted By: centershot Re: What Springer? - 02/23/22
Kind of partial to the Beeman R9 in .22 for larger vermin. Have killed hundreds of rock chucks with mine out to 60 yards. High quality rifle, lightweight, easy to cock and shoot. A 14.3gr pellet at 650 fps is amazingly effective. No stickers or colored tape required.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire