Home
Posted By: AJD Vaquero transfer bar - 07/03/11
I have a 45 NV and the transfer bar broke. Snapped off. I have a few Ruger revolvers and know this is an anomaly, has anyone else experienced this and what would cause it?
Posted By: Slonebo Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 07/03/11
I own 5 Rugers and have never had that problem. I shot the NV 45lc at least 200 times a month. Maybe call Ruger support and see what they will do.

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Customer Service Department
411 Sunapee Street
Newport, NH 03773

Telephone: 603-865-2442 / Fax: 603-863-6165
(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST)

Thanks
Bob
Posted By: AJD Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 07/03/11
I have no concerns about Ruger's customer service, I am confident they will take care of it. I plan to call on Tuesday.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 07/03/11
Seen a couple break, stuff happens, and that is a rare occurrence.
Posted By: AJD Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 07/03/11
I have several Rugers that I have owned for a long time, and it did surprise me. The cylinder locked up along with the trigger.
Posted By: AJD Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 08/14/11
Ruger sent a new transfer bar FOC. After a number of attempts and a few choice words it's back together.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 10/24/11
I broke every transfer bar on every Ruger Bisley Vaquero I owned (6 in all)

My advice is to send them to Wes Flowers and let him remove the transfer bars and install a half cock like the Colt. He can also short stroke the hammer travel for you.

He did mine and it made a world of difference.

JM
Posted By: AJD Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 12/25/11
Thanks!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 12/26/11
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

My advice is to send them to Wes Flowers and let him remove the transfer bars and install a half cock like the Colt. He can also short stroke the hammer travel for you.

JM

+1 on that.

Wes can make them sing, no doubt. He makes them "run like a Colt" and they do. They load and cycle just like a Colt. And there isn't that famous Ruger short stroke where you hear a CAS shooter going click, click, click, click, click, boom. Don't hear that with Colts, clones and Wes Flowers tricked out Rugers.

DF
I've had 11, currently have 7, used them a heap, never had one break and never heard of one breaking, just dumb luck I guess. Only thing I ever had happen was the base pin come loose on one of my 45NMVs when using John Wayne Anniversary ammo (very expensive, very strong, lol).
Posted By: yosam Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 03/09/12
back when I smithed full time, and Abilene/Seville revolvers were somewhat commonI repaire several with broken transfer bars, which are quite similar to the NM Part, they were invariably very hard, most got tigged back together using 309 ss filler, and checked for hardness afterwards, not sure if that was your Rugers problem or not. but a few strokes with a needle file might tell
Posted By: Strider Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 04/03/12
All 6? I've never seen or heard of even one. I'm guessing it has something to do with the style of the shooting?

Can't say I feel I need a transfer bar safety, just never had a problem.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 04/04/12
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

JM

Wes is tops.

I've had several done by him. He "makes them run like a Colt" and that's no lie. They're just as safe as a Colt. One has to be careful to have the hammer on an empty cylinder and load 5 rounds.

The cowboy action crowd loves Rugers set up like that.

DF
Posted By: AJD Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 04/09/12
I've owned a number of Rugers with transfer bars going back over 35 years, that is the only one I've had break. Dunno just happened. I'd never had or heard of that problem, and I was just wondering if others did. I figure it was a flaw in the metal as it broke right at the turn/bend/change up?
Posted By: redfoxx Re: Vaquero transfer bar - 04/11/12
I've never had transfer bar break and I own 6 Ruger SA's that have them as original equipment, most have had thousand of rounds through them, with the exception of a couple of safe queens. I wonder if the transfer bar in the NV the same as the Vaquero, BH, SBH, et al? As in same geometry and same material? Perhaps a new supplier is making them for Ruger? Who knows, sounds to me like manufacturing variance or something. I've stoned and polished a few transfer bars that had some pretty sizable voids in them, which could lead to breaks under repeated use.
© 24hourcampfire