Home
My question is in regards to crossing the boarder to get to Alaska with a firearm. What forms should I have? I am not planning to hunt in British Columbia, just drive through with a firearm into Alaska to hunt in Alaska. I will be returning back into the states and I believe I will need a arms declaration as well to carry my firearm back to the states??

Any knowledge?
Long gun?
https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/th...firearms/bringing-a-firearm-into-canada/
This is very important advice -

If you want to avoid any chance of problems when re-entering the U.S. you should stop at the U.S. Customs office on your way out of the country. Here you can ask for a Certificate of Registration For Personal Effects Taken Abroad, which will record a description of the firearm including the serial number. You need to keep this and have it available on your return to the U.S. if there is any question about what weapons you left with.

drover
Yes
Originally Posted by drover

If you want to avoid any chance of problems when re-entering the U.S. you should stop at the U.S. Customs office on your way out of the country. Here you can ask for a Certificate of Registration For Personal Effects Taken Abroad, which will record a description of the firearm including the serial number. You need to keep this and have it available on your return to the U.S. if there is any question about what weapons you left with.

drover

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Long gun?

Yes.
Not sure they will allow travel for hunting. I would contact the border station you plan to enter and ask, last time I went through they were allowing passage to go home or work only. Dang China flu !!!
All I needed was the form 909 (I've also seen it called the 5589). You can fill it out beforehand, but I'd suggest waiting until you hit the border and do it there, as they'll walk you through it. It is not a difficult form to figure out, but I still like to make sure it is done right the first time. That form also allows you to transport (I believe) up to 200 rounds of ammo, for the guns annotated on that form only.

Do NOT sign the form before hand. They need to witness you signing it. I'd personally cross at a small, rural POE. They're more gun friendly on average.

You then pay your $25 Canadian and should be on your way. If you're in Canada for less than X days (30 maybe?) then I believe that same form could be used to travel back, but Canadian Border Officials will have to update block E when you reenter Canada on your way back to the lower 48.

I'd echo Crawler's concern though. They may not let you through the border right now for recreational purposes.

Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry

drover

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

That form that Drover is referring to is 100% optional, but it would prove to US border officials that you didn't buy the firearm in Canada (and then have to pay US tax for it).
I have and still do travel to Canada a lot I use the US Customs form 4457 to list not only my firearms but all of my personal items, including scopes, binoculars, computers, basically anything of value that I am leaving the US with. It is signed off by US Customs before leaving the states that way there is no doubt you had it in your possession when you left. Depending on the US Customs Agent you happen to encounter it can a walktrough or a real hassle so it is just easier to have all of the paperwork in order.

For the paperwork needed by the Canadians I would advise that you download it on line fill it out with all the required info so when you get to the border it is easier for the Canadian Border Patrol folks - As mentioned earlier though don't sign it because it needs to be signed in their presence.

Going back and forth was a breeze until 9/11 occurred after that things tightened up on both sides but I have never had an issue with the Canadian BP, wish I could say the same about re-entering the US. About 4 years ago I had been to a match and of course was bringing back my ammo that I had not used - the US BP agent was going to confiscate it because I did not have anything to show I had taken it out of the US and so he was going to impound it because I may have bought it in Canada, it took some time with his supervisor but it was not impounded. I was tied up about 2 hours waiting for the waiting for the supervisor though since he had to come over from a different crossing. The next time I went up I listed all of my ammo on the 4457 when the US Customs guy saw ammo he said - it is not necessarty to list the ammo, I did it anyway. Sure enough coming back about 10 days later same port of entry but a different agent - he wanted to see the 4457 with my ammo listed on it.

If there is a customs office in your town, like at the airport - you can do a 4457 and have the articles verified there. Neither at the border or in a town customs officer do you want to carry your items in - they will come to your vehicle to examine them.

drover
Originally Posted by Crawler
Not sure they will allow travel for hunting. I would contact the border station you plan to enter and ask, last time I went through they were allowing passage to go home or work only. Dang China flu !!!

Just for future references.
Canada does not want United States citizens traveling through their country right now! Especially the Yukon territory, they were a real bunch of dicks at the Alaska border crossing. We have decided that Canada gets no more dollars from this family! We used to love Canada and went yearly! Now we will fly to Alaska. This information is two weeks old, maybe Canada has changed since then. I doubt a change! If you are on business it might be different, they are greedy and love to screw you on the exchange rate!
Enjoy Alaska.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

That form that Drover is referring to is 100% optional, but it would prove to US border officials that you didn't buy the firearm in Canada (and then have to pay US tax for it).

Might be 100% optional but it can be 100% a pain in the ass when you run into the US customs agent who caught his wife with the local cop right before his shift started and you don’t have one. Also depends on where you cross and how - in Algonac MI you better have one when coming back with your ducks from Walpole...

I’ve had the discussion before that if I have a 5589 showing when I entered Canada with said firearm why I need a 4457 as well. “Because those are the rules!” has been the reply and right or wrong, I value my time and the sanctity of my orifices.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Might be 100% optional but it can be 100% a pain in the ass when you run into the US customs agent who caught his wife with the local cop right before his shift started and you don’t have one. Also depends on where you cross and how - in Algonac MI you better have one when coming back with your ducks from Walpole...

I’ve had the discussion before that if I have a 5589 showing when I entered Canada with said firearm why I need a 4457 as well. “Because those are the rules!” has been the reply and right or wrong, I value my time and the sanctity of my orifices.

That is the reason that I do it also, it's just easier to the 4457 form instead of trying to argue. That form is absolute proof that you had it when you left the US.

drover

Originally Posted by AKwolverine

That is the reason that I do it also, it's just easier to the 4457 form instead of trying to argue. That form is absolute proof that you had it when you left the US.

drover

Better safe than sorry. Doesn't seem like much of a inconvenience until you don't have it.
Originally Posted by Heym06
Canada does not want United States citizens traveling through their country right now! Especially the Yukon territory, they were a real bunch of dicks at the Alaska border crossing. We have decided that Canada gets no more dollars from this family! We used to love Canada and went yearly! Now we will fly to Alaska. This information is two weeks old, maybe Canada has changed since then. I doubt a change! If you are on business it might be different, they are greedy and love to screw you on the exchange rate!

Yukon Territory is not allowing tourists and visitors to travel through to Alaska at this time and I don't expect that to change soon. Alaska citizens are allowed
to return home but no stops in YT other than fuel. No downtown Whitehorse visits either. US military personnel that are changing duty station can also travel through.

It's about 600 miles through YT and you have 24 hours to travel.

Anyone having a Canadian PAL [firearms possession and acquisition license] as I do, should definitely get the US export form as it will be the only way you can prove to
US Customs that you didn't buy the gun in Canada.
When crossing US/Canada borders, keep in mind that all rules and regulations change with the shift change.

One official could be indifferent and the next be a complete ass!

And never have any handgun ammo in your vehicle as they will be determined that you have a handgun
and the shakedown begins.
Check out the current regulations regarding USA citizens travelling through Canada to and from Alaska. The border is currently under Covid-19 restrictions, and so normal travel is NOT allowed. Because there have been so many abuses of the exceptions Canada allowed for USA citizens direct travel to/ from Alaska, currently any US citizen traveling through Canada must declare their intention to travel straight through to Alaska, without side trips or sight seeing stops, and the vehicle will be registered in a police database and identified with a special tag system. Time limits are enforced. Abusers have recently been fined and may be jailed. Don't test the patience of the Canadian border police until your COVID 19 cases are under control.
Posted By: EdM Re: Crossing into Canada to Alaska - 08/31/20
Frankly I don't know why one would bother at this time. Let the countries sort themselves, whether you like it or not. I have a fairly high dollar northern BC hunt that has been deferred from a week ago now for a year later. I'll be there next year.
Again, I personally like to gather as much information as possible before traveling abroad. Although, I am ( not planning on any travel anytime soon) it's good to listen and share.

When the time comes and the restrictions are lifted I plan to travel thru the areas mentioned, at least the Alaskan Highway.
Originally Posted by castnblast
Check out the current regulations regarding USA citizens travelling through Canada to and from Alaska. The border is currently under Covid-19 restrictions, and so normal travel is NOT allowed. Because there have been so many abuses of the exceptions Canada allowed for USA citizens direct travel to/ from Alaska, currently any US citizen traveling through Canada must declare their intention to travel straight through to Alaska, without side trips or sight seeing stops, and the vehicle will be registered in a police database and identified with a special tag system. Time limits are enforced. Abusers have recently been fined and may be jailed. Don't test the patience of the Canadian border police until your COVID 19 cases are under control.

I heard/read travellers abused the Canadian rules and were caught visiting Banff and Jasper. Rules changed right after that.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/alaska-loophole-us-bc-covid-19-1.5669036
Originally Posted by Adk_BackCountry
Again, I personally like to gather as much information as possible before traveling abroad. Although, I am ( not planning on any travel anytime soon) it's good to listen and share.

When the time comes and the restrictions are lifted I plan to travel thru the areas mentioned, at least the Alaskan Highway.

We call it the Alaska Highway. It's generally pretty boring really, as far as Whitehorse, which is as far as I've gone on it.. Straight, Paved. There is a section of the old highway you can drive on, all weather gravel with lots of curves .
The ALCAN can be a beautiful trip especially if you can reference some of the history or take the time to look for wildlife.

JO'C hunted out of Buckinghorse River Country on the benches of Muskwa and Prophet River where the Chadwick Ram was taken.
He also hunted in the Kluane Country with the Jacquot Brothers out of Burwash Landing.

Read Alaska Yukon Trophies Won and Lost before you travel and you'll be amazed at some of these hunting trips the old timers
did prior to the Alcan construction.

I know of no other area in NA with as many diverse species of game as the Toad River Country. Goats, stone sheep, mule deer, whitetails,
moose, caribou, elk, black and grizzly bears are present with woods bison nearby. Hot springs are numerous in that area.

The side trips to Skagway and Atlin are great and always make the loop from Whitehorse to Dawson and to Tok on Top Of The World.

I live at the end of the Alcan and I've driven it several dozen times and never tire of it.

I'd hoped to drive the Eastern portion of the Robert Campbell Highway this year but I'll have to try next year.

And always read Robert Campbell's Yukon.
VernAK

Read Alaska Yukon Trophies Won and Lost

Thanks, for the book tip.

Downwind,

I don't think I would be bored, "lifetime experiences".

Thanks, people.
Funny, it's never called the Alcan, always the Alaska Highway in BC. There is a section south of Ft. Nelson, it's worth while dong just to get a feel for what the highway was like after they finished it, before all the straightening and paving. We hunted elk in there. Given the choice, if we have time we travel highway #37, the Stewart Cassiar. It borders the Alaska panhandle. Guys at work got a couple of Alaska moose from that area, over 250# a quarter .

Last summer, 2019, we did the Dempster highway, from just south of Dawson City, Yukon into the Northwest Territory and then up to the Artic Ocean at "Tuk"
A family friend helped built that highway about the time I was born. He had a lot of tall tales about that. laugh
The original highway was built with curves where they didn't need to be, so that military convoys could not be easily strafed by Japanese fighter aircraft. To emphasize the driving experience on the original very curved and sinuous highway, and for nostalgia I offer this bit of graffiti humour:

Winding in, and winding out,
Leaves my mind in serious doubt,
Whether the lout who built this route
Was going to hell, or coming out!
I don't buy that about the curves, the section south of Ft.Nelson is a long way from the coast. However there is spring in that section that is famous as mix with whiskey.
It's a wonderful drive. But if you haven't done it while it was all still gravel road, you don't know about the curves. It has been tamed considerably since the pavement, sometimes in the 70's and 80's
Originally Posted by castnblast
The original highway was built with curves where they didn't need to be, so that military convoys could not be easily strafed by Japanese fighter aircraft. To emphasize the driving experience on the original very curved and sinuous highway, and for nostalgia I offer this bit of graffiti humour:

Winding in, and winding out,
Leaves my mind in serious doubt,
Whether the lout who built this route
Was going to hell, or coming out!

castnblast;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the summer has been a good one for you folks in Saskatchewan and you all are well.

My family drove the Alaska Highway up to Whitehorse somewhere in the early '70's.

We were in a passenger car, pulling a pop up style trailer with the tiny wheels they had back then. I still have no idea how they made it up and back!

Anyway it was all gravel then as I recall and very much a winding road for sure.

The verse you quoted was on a little wooden tourist plaque that Dad bought in Whitehorse, so any time someone mentions the Alaska Highway it's the first thing I think of!

Oh, back then there were still some trucks and large equipment that must have either broken down or been abandoned when it was completed.

Thanks for taking me back down a road in my mind I might not have otherwise sir. All the best to you all and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne
We drove it in the mid '80s, it still had sections of gravel. But that section of curves is still there, it's used as an oil patch road. I'm from BC, with all the mountains, we have lots of curves on our forestry roads, but that section was ridiculous.
Posted By: EdM Re: Crossing into Canada to Alaska - 09/04/20
A shot from the aircraft with the wrap of my hunt with Stone Mountain Safaris circa 2008 on the ALCAN just outside Toad River.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Is the sign on the old section: "FREE ROCKS - Take Some Home", still there?
This guy pushed it a little too far - it looks like it is going to cost him some serious money,

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tr...eaking-canadian-coronavirus-restrictions

drover
A few always spoil it for everyone;

https://apple.news/AEhORY0GMTR-FmjXRGzXCyA

Ted
© 24hourcampfire