Home
No 1s, Handis, TC Encores or Contenders, or others? I owned a number of Handi rifles when they were still being made, but had problems getting some of them to shoot. My No 1s were never a problem. Neither were were the Thompson Center frames.

Admittedly, they aren't very popular.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from 303british.com]
Ruger No.1, Savage 219, Browning, H&R, 1873 Springfield, Martini, Baikal, and some bolt action singles. I've had a few. I like the Rugers. GD
I like the Rugers too, but with our dollar, they are expensive! I wanted a No 1 in 222 rimmed or 218 Bee. If I ever get one, it will probably be on a Contender frame. Not as nice as the No 1, but 1/3 the cost. smile
Posted By: NYNY Re: Who shoots single shots here? - 05/15/21
No. 1s rule.

6.5 BEE

All my muzzleloaders are single-shots.
smile

So is my Ruger #1 in 9.3X74R.
So yes, I shoot Single-shots ----and I like them a lot.
I own 2 CVA Wolf .50 ML’s and 2 CVA Scout Takedowns in 45-70. All four are extremely accurate, easy to clean and have excellent factory triggers
Cooper model 21, Varminter and Sporter. I have never felt handicapped using a single shot, even when the shooting is hot and heavy.

drover
I do prefer a Ruger # 1
No 1s are sweet, that's for sure. In Canada, they retail new for about $2200. Coopers are $3000 plus. I would like at least one Cooper, but...

How do the Coopers shoot?

This is my 17 Hornet Contender.

my single shot 22 BR Cooper shoots very well
Posted By: PSE Re: Who shoots single shots here? - 05/15/21
I have a single shot 22 Cooey - Does that count?

The trigger is about as crisp & sensitive as a gate latch but it will do MOA of gopher.
I am a fan, my two,7x57 and 22 Hornet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image posting site
CVA Wolf 50 cal ML
Accurate and fun to shoot.
Jeff
#1 in .400 Jeff.

Just for giggles
Will anyone admit to owning a Handi? I have three. A 22 K-Hornet, 44 mag and 444.
Shiloh Sharps .50-90 Business Rifle
[Linked Image from ]
That is a very handsome Sharps.
My first Ruger No.1 cost me 225 dollars (in 1971). That was, at the time, about seven days pay at sawmill wages. The box of 180 grain Speer bullets I bought with it was $3.89.
My latest Ruger was taken on a trade then re-barreled. I must admit, there is no chance of me paying 2200 dollars for a Number One. GD
It is a great looking rifle. Another thing still on my wish list. I have a No 1 in 45-70, but a sharps would be better! laugh
greydog;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope it's a good day 5 valleys east of me and that you're all well.

We're having a wee bit of a dry spring out here, though the snow pack wasn't too low, there's been very little to no rain so far.

It's an interesting correlation between wages and what they can purchase, thanks for doing that as it's something that's interested me for a good long while.

When one looks at how long a fellow in Canada working in the late 1870's would have had to work to pick up a '76 Winchester, it sort of puts it into perspective.

Regarding Steve's question about single shots, I used an '82 vintage No 1 as my saddle hunting rifle for about a decade. I picked it up off a buddy who I'd been with when he bought it several years previous and had asked him for first right of refusal should he ever part with it.

I want to say I sold a 1958 built 94 .30-30 that honestly didn't have 50 rounds through it and other than some very minor safe dings was for all intents and purposes 95% condition to finance that buy. This was around 2000, so whatever they were going for then, that's what I spent on the No 1 as far as I can recall.

Seeing as it was mine, I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I installed a Moyer's trigger, Gentry barrel band/sling swivel, home brewed barrel tuner and then built a fore end out of a piece of walnut that matched the butt stock. Oh, I see a Decelerator went on it as well.

[Linked Image]

I'd have to look at my hunting records, but it likely accounted for between 10 and a dozen local mulies while I had it.

In the fullness of time as the Good Book might phrase it, we got out of horses, I found it to be pretty heavy for walking around the local mountains with and our eldest got into playing drums so it went down the road to help finance a half decent electric drum kit - want to say Roland?

While I'm not sure she still uses the drum kit much, the chap who picked up the No 1 from me has become a regular in my shop and we've done a fair bit of other business since then, so that's okay too.

To your days worked to money spent, I want to say when I sold the No 1 to him it was for $750??? which was the going rate for one of that vintage. I offered to put the original fore end back on for him and he said he was happy with the way it looked, so it hangs on the wall in my shop now in case he changes his mind. grin

He did tell me last summer that he'd been offered what he termed "a whole lot" more for it than he paid, but that he was rather fond of it now and would keep it for the time being.

Anyways greydog, say 10 years ago when he bought it for $750 would be 4 days take home pay for a mill worker more or less?

All the best to you folks this spring greydog.

Dwayne
I still shoot my Sharps conversion carbine and my Springfield 1879 carbine. Nothing modern though.
Ruger #1's in 22 Hornet, 250 Savage, 7MM-08, 35 Whelan, 300 H&H, 375 H&H, 405 Win, 450-400 NE, 300 Savage (in the process of being built)
Winchester High Wall 38-55
Cooper varmint rifles 223, 220 Swift and 25WSSM
Posted By: EdM Re: Who shoots single shots here? - 05/16/21
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Will anyone admit to owning a Handi? I have three. A 22 K-Hornet, 44 mag and 444.

Close enough? A 243 Win.

!That's nice wood. A good looking rifle!
I love single shots.

Something about the philosophy of aim small, miss small tickles my fancy !

Not saying a follow up shot is impossible, but .................
I wish they were more popular here. Henrys, Thompson Centers, and others are special order.
Three 1885’s: 7 WSM, 300 WSM & 17 WSM
I love my Ruger #1 in 264 Mag. Custom barrel that shoots very well.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Encore with a TC custom shop 250 savage barrel. Love it!!
I’ve got a Knight KP1 in muzzle loader, 204 ruger, .270,and .45-.70.
I do, the latest is a Browning B78- .270 win.( miroku)
I really like the compactness of it, the slender reciever and forearm. It is under 40" long and has a 24" barrel .
I have also owned a Ruger#1- 7x57. It had quite a few flaws though, but was very compact.
I would like to try a single shot / takedown someday.
For a Wild Sheep a takedown has its advantages , especially for a 63 year old Nimrod, like myself.
I have a couple- Contender pistol with .223/.375Wcf/ and 44Mag all 14”.

2 Encore frames- .204/ 22-250/ 25-06/ .270w- 28” & a 15” 7-08.

I’m thinking my Savage 24V in .22 Hornet over 20ga would count too.

Ruger #3 in .375wcf
And a Farmindale Sharps in 45/120
I really like the looks of all these designs. The wood is very pleasing to my eye. (Yours too SBrown smile )

For everyone - the Canadians too - Bullberry is back in production. When Fred was still running things, I ordered a wide flat forend for my Contender. They are available north of the border through importers.
I have owned more than 100 Ruger No.1's... I prefer the "A, S, H and RSI" versions... I have had many, many different cartridges in the No.1 platform.

For many years, I made H&R Handi SB2 frames into swap barrel sets with custom stocks.... I made many different combinations... such as 20 ga/.243/.358, .410/.22 H/.270, .22H/.30-30/.44 RM, 12 ga/.30-30/.45-70, .22H/7.62X39/.30-30 etc... I also stubbed many SB2 frames to non-factory cartridges such as .300 H&H, 9.3X74R and .348 Winchester.
Currently I have 30-06, 7mm TC Encore's, two - 50 cal blackpowder - TC and Rem and a 45 cal Kentucky ---- all very accurate and fun to play with.
How is that 30-06 working for you, Hugh? I like my Encore and was thinking about getting a 30-06 barrel. It's probably a silly question. It should be able to shoot 1.5@100 yd.
Steve all of the Encore's I have are very accurate. Both the 06 and 7mm are zero'd at 225 and easily are within the 1.5 @100. The one that continues to surprise me is 50 cal BP with the accuracy at 300. TC has a very good platform and next up will most likely be a 25-06 barrel.
That's great. I am undecided about whether to get the 30-06 barrel. I will choose soon. 🙂
That's great. I am undecided about whether to get the 30-06 barrel. I will choose soon. 🙂
No. 1B in .308 and an Encore with .50 MZ, 12 gauge 24” turkey barrel and .25-06 AI barrel.
22 lr, 25-20 and 32-20 in a switch barrel set by Robert Snapp, 256 Win Mag, 357 Maximum; all on Martini cadet actions. Also working (still) on a 327 Fed and a 6.5×50 Arisaka, also on Cadet actions. 30-40 and 45-70 Ruger No 3's, 260 Rem Browning low wall. Also had No 1 in 416 Rigby, but after finding no elephants in the neighborhood after a three year search I sold it.
Yeah, I suppose the 416 might have been overkill. 😄

Martini Cadets are a flash from my past. One of the army cadet officers had a couple. That was back when Canada allowed cadets to shoot 22s and 303s. laugh
Posted By: JJF Re: Who shoots single shots here? - 05/23/21
Originally Posted by Ruger4Life
I own 2 CVA Wolf .50 ML’s and 2 CVA Scout Takedowns in 45-70. All four are extremely accurate, easy to clean and have excellent factory triggers

I have a CVA SS Scout V2 Takedown in 444 Marlin. It has become my main hunting weapon. As stated above, mine is very accurate, very easy to clean, good trigger and changing stocks from adult to youth LOP is a snap. It's a great single-shot option IMO.
I have Sniders , Rugers, a Haenel Shuetzen , Highwalls , and a bunch of bolt actions Ingle shots and a few muzxle loaders, but my favorite is my greydog built Ruger#3 in .303 Brit!
Cat
Does anyone still shoot the 303? laugh

You need a 30-303, Cat!

[Linked Image from 303british.com]
Oh Lord no, all I need is ANOTHER rifle !!
Cat
I keep saying that, but it's not working out. lol
I have the Cooey 20 gauge looked up in NW Ontario, when I can get there.
If all goes well, and enough people get vaccinated, you'll be up there by the end of June beginning of July. smile
I hope so Steve!
Have been a single shot shooter/hunter all of my shooting career, 50 years. Began hunting with TC products in 85ish. Started with an SSK barrel in 6.5 JDJ. Still love my TC’s & 1885’s. Took my trophy WT, a 15 point with a TC in 280 Remington. Shot several trophy Axis with my SSK 280 JDJ barrel. Several more with my SSK 7 Wby barrel.

Love the Encore. Not a high end rig, but sufficient with a little panache.
Having too much fun with this one these days, with and without the irons !
Cat

Originally Posted by wabigoon
I hope so Steve!

Keep the faith. Ignore the people who prophesy gloom and doom. smile

Originally Posted by Reloder28
Have been a single shot shooter/hunter all of my shooting career, 50 years. Began hunting with TC products in 85ish. Started with an SSK barrel in 6.5 JDJ. Still love my TC’s & 1885’s. Took my trophy WT, a 15 point with a TC in 280 Remington. Shot several trophy Axis with my SSK 280 JDJ barrel. Several more with my SSK 7 Wby barrel.

Love the Encore. Not a high end rig, but sufficient with a little panache.

I always wanted to get an SSK or Bullberry barrel, but never got around to it. I keep thinking, one day... smile
catnthehat, saw this down in the SS forum. That is one special rifle, for sure. Green with envy.
My jumble of rifles includes original High Walls (one with a Pope barrel) and Low Walls, "modern" Low Walls, Martini Cadets and an International, Ruger #1's, German kiplaufs, and a lone Ballard. Yeah, I've turned into a single shot slut!

(Anybody got a centerfire breech block for a #3 or #4 Ballard tucked away that they aren't using? Haha!)
winchester highwall 225 winchester, martini .17 bee, martini 22-k hornet, brno 222, browning b78 25-06 , hanel 22lr. don't have the 225, 17bee, or hanel any more..
Posted By: las Re: Who shoots single shots here? - 05/31/21
I took one caribou hunting two seasons ago, and we took two bull caribou with it.

After the season I replaced the broken extractor (Rem 725).

Does that count? smile
Originally Posted by las
I took one caribou hunting two seasons ago, and we took two bull caribou with it.

After the season I replaced the broken extractor (Rem 725).

Does that count? smile

Close enough! laugh
© 24hourcampfire