Home
Posted By: EdM Gas Prices - 07/11/21
What's going on over the past six months or so? We lived in Calgary at it's peak some years ago.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gas Prices - 07/11/21
Ed, I'll try to post this.[img]https://www.gasbuddy.com/gasprices/ontario/dryden[/img]
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Gas Prices - 07/11/21
Ed;
Good morning to you sir, I hope you're keeping cool enough if you're in Idaho and out of any flooding if you're still in Texas.

We're at $1.55/liter here in the south Okanagan as of yesterday's hike. It appears our daughter in Coquitlam which is the Lower Mainland/Vancouver area is $1.66.

The US exchange rate is $1.24 CDN for $1 USD as of yesterday too.

Diesel is about $1.30 last time I filled up the Cummins.

It's getting a little silly for sure though.

All the best despite the inflationary fuel costs Ed.

Dwayne
Posted By: greydog Re: Gas Prices - 07/11/21
My doctor told me, if Americans paid as much as Canadians do for fuel and put the difference toward the national debt, they would be debt free in three years. Don't know where he got this statistic but it is somewhat believable. Never happen though. The difference would go into the abyss which swallows up all funding in Washington (or Ottawa). Carbon taxes add a lot to costs in BC. and accomplish nothing, of course. GD
Posted By: EdM Re: Gas Prices - 07/11/21
Dwayne,

Here in Idaho but still in the 90's. It seems that was about what I was paying at peak when we lived there 2004 - 2009 though the price of oil then sort of justified the high cost of gasoline. I recall the exchange rate being at parity or better for a while then.
Posted By: GRF Re: Gas Prices - 07/11/21
Lethbridge is $134.9 / litre. Similar to what I recall seeing in Calgary earlier this week.

Most is taxes, which have the GST applied to them. We pay taxes on our taxes.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Gas Prices - 07/11/21
All that "free" stuff gets expensive when someone has to pay for it...
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Gas Prices - 07/11/21
I can still get it for $1.25 - $1.28 here in Southwestern Ontario, though most areas around us are $1.35.

Thank Slo Joe for it. Direct result of US policies.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Gas Prices - 07/11/21
I think regular gas on the island (Victoria) is 172.9 a litre currently!
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: Gas Prices - 07/11/21
After the Covid slow down, there are some profits to be made up.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Gas Prices - 07/11/21
Originally Posted by patbrennan
I think regular gas on the island (Victoria) is 172.9 a litre currently!

Headed there later this week and will have to rent a car to visit a buddy in Nanaimo. I’ll go with the economy model, given the ridiculous rental rates.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Gas Prices - 07/12/21
Was just out and filled my Rav 4. $40 from half.

Guy behind me filled a Tundra. $146!!! Probably gets about half as far as my Prius on $35.
Posted By: greydog Re: Gas Prices - 07/12/21
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
All that "free" stuff gets expensive when someone has to pay for it...

How many trillions in debt now? GD
Posted By: troutfly Re: Gas Prices - 07/13/21
$127.9 in Medicine Hat/Redcliff. Of course my Ram runs best on Mid grade at $137.9. I tried running reg and premium a few times and found my truck to run poorly, often losing up to 200km/tank.
I only ran the premium because Costco only carries Reg or Premium, of the Premium was cheaper than Mid at Coop where I normally fill. In the long run I don't save anything.
And yep, mostly damn taxes!
Jeff
Posted By: eric123 Re: Gas Prices - 07/13/21
127.90 here in the BC peace, except FSJ which is always 10 cents per litre more.
i use a co-op card lock which saves me 10 cents a litre..
Posted By: EdM Re: Gas Prices - 07/13/21
How do todays prices compare to those a year ago?
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Gas Prices - 07/13/21
About $0.30 per liter more than a year ago.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Gas Prices - 07/13/21
Originally Posted by EdM
How do todays prices compare to those a year ago?

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
About $0.30 per liter more than a year ago.

Yep, for sure.

This summer alone, we have gone from $1.189 to the current $1.389 !
Posted By: greydog Re: Gas Prices - 07/13/21
When fuel prices climb, I try to do my part by traveling less and buying less fuel. Sadly, much of our social structure is based on the burning of fuel. Long commutes, the by-product of urban sprawl, motorized recreation, industries which have abandoned manpower for diesel power; all of this contributes to higher fuel prices. Of course, the oil companies will tell you they carry the weight of society on their shoulders and their intent is mostly altruistic; profits are just a by-product. In fairness, taxation plays a larger part than ever before as well. GD
Posted By: cleanbarrel Re: Gas Prices - 07/13/21
Turdo's intention is to raise the cost of energy until demand is reduced.
Part of the new green economy BS.
Posted By: greydog Re: Gas Prices - 07/13/21
Originally Posted by cleanbarrel
Turdo's intention is to raise the cost of energy until demand is reduced.
Part of the new green economy BS.

No, that's just his excuse. Liberals are really good at wrapping tax grabs in green paper. This is why, rather than try to create infrastructure which rewards conservation, they will actually encourage energy use and tax hell out of it. GD
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Gas Prices - 07/14/21
Just drove a customer home, regular now at $1.419 !!!
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Gas Prices - 07/14/21
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2

I suspect the rising prices are a good sign. That is, the economy is on the mend. COVID is getting kicked to the curb and things are moving toward normal.

This way, we can complain about fuel not vaccines. laugh
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: Gas Prices - 07/15/21
That is the definition of an optimist . Seeing the positive in rising gas prices. After the next eye surgery at the end of the month, we were planning a trip to the Cariboo. But,with all the forest fires that looks out. I'll be saving some fuel in the truck.
Posted By: North6120 Re: Gas Prices - 07/19/21
Richmond, BC was $1.66L this morning. Couple weeks ago it was up as high as $1.77L. Today in SeaTac, I paid $4.49 US, which was a bit of a shock. Luckily I’m able to fill up across the line in Blaine. There have been times when the price difference has saved me over $50 when filling up my diesel truck compared to LML prices.
Posted By: ribka Re: Gas Prices - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

I suspect the rising prices are a good sign. That is, the economy is on the mend. COVID is getting kicked to the curb and things are moving toward normal.

Have to agree. Hyper inflation has always been good to the middle class
Posted By: Lorne Re: Gas Prices - 07/19/21
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Have to agree. Hyper inflation has always been good to the middle class

Yes its always good when the price of commodities continues to increase . With really good luck the economy will give us that really positive sign of higher interest rates......that always seems to help and is usually tied to inflation.

We are in a country where everything that we produce and sell must be moved , usually significant distances , I'm not sure how anyone sees rising fuel prices as positive .....
© 24hourcampfire