Home
Posted By: pacecars Handgun hunting - 07/26/21
Do you think Canada will ever allow foreign visitors to hunt with handguns?
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Handgun hunting - 07/26/21
zero chance on that one
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Handgun hunting - 07/26/21
What Pat said.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Handgun hunting - 07/26/21
pacecars;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the weekend was a good one for you.

As my friend patbrennan has said, there's no chance of that taking place in the foreseeable future.

The current government of Crown Prince Sparkle Socks and his leftist minions are currently trying to make it either more difficult or impossible/illegal for us to even be in possession of a handgun, much less hunt with it.

I wish I had better news for you, sadly I do not.

All the best regardless.

Dwayne
Posted By: greydog Re: Handgun hunting - 07/26/21
I'm pretty sure we will see a handgun season for the flying pigs. GD
Posted By: yukon254 Re: Handgun hunting - 07/26/21
Its certainly been done in Canada. When I bought my last trapline I found a bunch of pictures in an old shoe box that was stuffed up under the rafters of an old cabin. The fellow who had owned the line before me apparently favoured a Ruger 44 magnum for moose because there were a few pictures of him with bulls and his trusty sidearm.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Handgun hunting - 07/26/21
This CSSA essay explains the progression of firearms legislation from 1867 to 1945. In brief, all legislation has been the result of the news events of the day, and the government's reactions to them.

The whole article is linked below. It is a compelling read.

WRT handgun bans for hunting in Canada, the provinces and territories make their own rules for what, where and when you can hunt, however...firearms legislation is the responsibility of the federal government, so any changes, additions or deletions to the Firearms Act made by them affects the provinces.

Excerpt from A Brief History of Gun Control in Canada, 1867 to 1945
Originally published by CSSA - December 27, 2014
- Al Smithies, Research Director, CILA

National Handgun Registration -1934

National handgun registration is born in the context of the social and political upheavals of the Great Depression. It is passed on 3 July 1934, having been rushed through Parliament in only ten days. The law appears motivated by a fear of insurrection after Tim Buck, the popular leader of Canada’s Communist Party, is released from prison in June 1934 and appears to the applause of tens of thousands at political rallies held in Montreal and Toronto.

The federal government places handgun registration under authority of the RCMP. This is done, not because the Mounties are more efficient than local police forces at processing applications (provincial and municipal police services had been registering handguns under authority of the 1913 legislation), but because the RCMP is, according to Lorne and Caroline Brown’s An Unauthorized History of the RCMP, the federal government’s first line of defence against internal disorder and is considered

“. . . the most reliable force in the country for breaking strikes, smashing the radical trade unions, controlling the unemployed and hounding political dissenters.”

----

https://cssa-cila.org/a-brief-history-of-gun-control-in-canada-1867-to-1945/
If you have enough back yard, I'd think you could hunt with a handgun?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If you have enough back yard, I'd think you could hunt with a handgun?

Legally, you are not allowed to hunt on your own property with a handgun. If you are asking, "Do people hunt of their own land with handguns?" I think some people do, but I am not aware of anyone who does. Canada is a big place however.
can you plink at tin cans in the back yard?
I am not a lawyer, but the answer is no. From the website listed below,

Any place that is used for target practice or target shooting competitions on a “regular and structured basis” must be approved by the designated provincial Minister (s. 29 of the Firearms Act). Thus, if you are planning to use the same place regularly for target practice, whether or not it is on private property, it must be approved.

https://www.lcp-law.com/are-you-legally-able-to-fire-a-gun-on-your-property/ - Lockyer, Campbell, Posner -- Barristers & Solicitors

---

The bottom line is that handguns can only be used for target practice at an approved range.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Handgun hunting - 07/27/21
Steve has it right. If you want to shoot handguns in your back yard, you will need to have a government approved range setup.

And Richard,if they won't let me hunt with a handgun, I can't see why they'd let an alien do it. Just sayin'.
© 24hourcampfire