Home
Posted By: wabigoon Cannada in World War Two? - 07/01/22
I thank all the brave Canadians for their Service,
Most of them are gone now, but I am sure they would appreciate your kind words.
Posted By: Nick1899 Re: Cannada in World War Two? - 07/01/22
Hard to believe that at the close of WW2 Canada was a moderate power in the world. For a nation of our size that was quite an accomplishment. Unfortunately we’ve let our military slide somewhat since then.

When I was in high school our drafting teacher was in the artillery, most likely crewing a 25 pounder and one English teacher was a rear gunner in a Halifax bomber. His plane was shot down over Germany in the last months of the war. His POW camp was liberated by the Russians.

Nick
Posted By: super T Re: Cannada in World War Two? - 07/01/22
If I remember correctly, Juno Beach was one of the five beaches of the Allied invasion of Normandy on June 6th, 1944 and it was assigned to the Canadian Army.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cannada in World War Two? - 07/01/22
Good friend Steven, in Wabigoon, has a picture of his parents in their Canadian Army uniforms, they met in the army.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Good friend Steven, in Wabigoon, has a picture of his parents in their Canadian Army uniforms, they met in the army.

There were also a lot of soldiers who returned home from WWII with "war brides". You might be interested in this, Richard. It concerns the War Brides Act in the US after WWII.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/war-brides-act-1945
Notice the extra , "C", I gave on the holiday? laugh
That's okay. We have people up here who stutter too. smile
Happy Birthday Canada!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Cannada in World War Two? - 07/02/22
Before one delves into the CDNs in WWII, they should read "Vimy" by Pierre Berton.

If there was ever an account to make one proud to be CDN during wartime, this is it.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Cannada in World War Two? - 07/02/22
I have often wondered if the Auto-Pact was a reward from a grateful US for Canada’s support in WWII.
© 24hourcampfire