Home
Posted By: wabigoon Merry Christmas Canuck Style? - 11/30/22
Canadian/American style

I regret not seeing Tom when he was in Dryden.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I regret not seeing Tom when he was in Dryden.

We'll get to see him again. Here's a couple of short videos that you, and others, might like. The first is his burial site. He rests in a small town called Erin, Ontario, not far from Guelph, in southern Ontario.

This second video is a short goodbye from another well known Canadian, Rex Murphy. It was taped the day after Tom passed away.

A National Treasure, for sure!
I'd think some other good Canadian would join in?
You must live in hope, Richard. While we wait, here's another Canadian Christmas song?!?? Ho-Ho-Yah-No-For Sure-Yah!

I'd think some other good Canadian would join in?

I have no idea how to post a video, but you guys are posting some good stuff!
Thanks,
Jeff
Since they like to have a holiday we celebrate one day before us, is it being held on Dec 24th? The followed by "Boxing Day" on the 26th?

Just ribbing our Canuck members a little...spent a lot of time in your wonderful country...and actually worked in Canada for 2.5 years...

Loved Anne Murray growing up.. In college use to go up to the Maritimes a lot...One of my first times up there, I went to see her home town in Spring Hill Nova Scotia... not much too it.. she and I share the same birthday, but 7 years apart...

Always do a little birthday wish to her on our birthdate.
Santa Clause is a Canadian? The North: Pole is his home.
Good music posted here.

Though I do wish y'all would take back that dingleberry Justin Bieber.......we don't want him here.
This song was written in a muggy Cleveland hotel room when Lightfoot was on tour in the US in the mid 1960s.

He said he was missing home and his wife. It became a minor Christmas hit in the late 1960s. I don't know where or when this particular version was recorded, but it looks like a university crowd, and they don't look happy! It was probably a commercial recording. smile

The lamp is burnin' low upon my table top
The snow is softly falling
The air is still in the silence of my room
I hear your voice softly calling

Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Good music posted here.

Though I do wish y'all would take back that dingleberry Justin Bieber.......we don't want him here.

We will take Bieber back, if you send both Burton Cummings and Neil Young back to Canada, although I highly doubt it if they want to come back lol
From my inbox.

How about a Bare Naked Holiday? Ed Robertson introduces this updated version of Green Christmas. From 2020.

This is a link to the small tour BNL will have over the holiday season.

https://www.everythingzoomer.com/ar...e-bands-canadian-hometown-holidays-tour/

Canadian style? I don't really know.
21 years ago we quit any fo of t.v. and don't listen to radio , especially commercial radio.
Christmas is about one thing and that is the birth of Christ , so we honour the advent season and Christmas.
I love the season, because of the gift of the season .
Merry Christmas, folks. God Bless
Originally Posted by comerade
Canadian style? I don't really know.
21 years ago we quit any fo of t.v. and don't listen to radio , especially commercial radio.
Christmas is about one thing and that is the birth of Christ , so we honour the advent season and Christmas.
I love the season, because of the gift of the season .
Merry Christmas, folks. God Bless

Great post!!!!

On Christmas day for many years now I wake up and light up a big candle to celebrate our lord's birthday. That's what Christmas means to me comerade. I burn it all day until I go to bed.

As I grew older, I realized that Christ's birthday has been turned into a commercial spending-spree event. I refuse to participate in that anymore.

I prefer to celebrate Christ's birthday by lighting candle and thanking him all day long. I have received more satisfaction out of that simple act, then any gift that was under a tree.

Cheers ~ KB
"Make a cheerful noise unto The Lord."
"Make a cheerful noise unto The Lord."

And to carry each other’s burdens. In this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
- Galatians 6:2

Not just at Christmas, but throughout the year, we need to help those who are having a difficult time of things. In the above video, Ed Robertson of BNL reminds us that this time of year is very difficult for some families. You can help by checking in with your local church or food bank to find out what is needed in your community. I always suggest money, because these organizations can use it to shop for the things that are needed in your community.

https://foodbankscanada.ca
Here's a couple great songs about heading home to Newfoundland for Christmas.

We can't forget Rita MacNeil!

They need you over in the c-21 thread Steven.
If you watch Schitt's Creek, you'll probably recognize Dan. He's the real life son of Eugene Levy, a well known Canadian actor from Hamilton, Ontario, who also acts in Schitt's Creek. Early in his career, Dan's dad was on SCTV, and worked with Bob and Doug McKenzie.

Danny was borned in Toronto. We all have a cross to bear. frown

Two from John McDermott. For those departed at Christmas, and the young ones too. The second, while not Christmas specific, will remind you of friends and loved ones who you will not see over the holidays. They are still around though, and that's John's message.

Christmas in the Trenches

Bruce Cockburn - Mary Had a Baby

Hank Snow - Christmas Cannonball

Ya know Steve, we may have to learn to sing, we might run out of Canadians. laugh
No worries, Richard. There are a lot more Canadian singers past and present. And we can sing too! smile

Just for fun.
Hi Richard. My screen says "Video unavailable" for your post above. Not sure why.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
We sing this at Easter as well.

Canadian Christmas is this where you wrap up your guns and give them to the government?
Did they play this music in the trailer park?
Shirley Eikhard died today. She is best known to Canadians for Smiling Wine, Say You Love Me, and wrote Let's Give Them Something to Talk About, which was a hit for Bonnie Raitt in the US. I was lucky enough to spend some time with her over the years. We first met in Germany when she was overseas entertaining the troops. I ran into her a few more times. The last time was a couple of years ago outside a restaurant. She tapped me on the shoulder and asked me how I was doing. She was a lovely soul.

The Great Lake Swimmers are an Ontario based folk group. This song is the English version of Un flambeau, Jeannette, Isabelle. The song originated in France and is about two farm hands - Jeannette et Isabelle - who find the baby Jesus in their stable.

Un flambeau, Jeannette, Isabelle
Un flambeau! Courons au berceau!
C'est Jésus, bonnes gens du hameau.
Le Christ est né; Marie appelle!
Ah! Ah! Que la Mère est belle,
Ah! Ah! Que l'Enfant est beau!

Although not released specifically for Christmas, this 1985 recording was for Ethiopian famine relief. The singers are all Canadians. See how many you can identify. This still gets airplay around Christmas here, but the message is more broadly targeted. Help those in need.

Steve, feel like we're playin' tennis? laugh
Steve, feel like we're playin' tennis? laugh

Yes, but that's fine. 'Tis the season, regardless of the number of people. laugh
Different.
Gordon Lightfoot turned 84 in November and is still touring. Here he is singing at a 2020 Christmas Eve church service in Toronto. He's showing his age.

Some of the best Christmas songs have been written by Jewish musicians. This was written by Bob Dylan, a close friend of Gord.

I'm about fresh out Steve. laugh Keep up the good work!
Merry Christmas, Richard~

Merry Christmas from a honest to God, Canuck.
C'mon, Christmas doesn't work well unless the tree is harvested during the Whitetail hunt, snow is 2 foot deep and winter has the grip on the place.
Our savior certainly didn't see these same conditions but Christmas in Canada insists on cold and snow and rye whiskey
Originally Posted by comerade
Merry Christmas from a honest to God, Canuck.
C'mon, Christmas doesn't work well unless the tree is harvested during the Whitetail hunt, snow is 2 foot deep and winter has the grip on the place.
Our savior certainly didn't see these same conditions but Christmas in Canada insists on cold and snow and rye whiskey

Merry Christmas to you!

It’s -7 here in central Ontario and we are under a snow squall warning. 🙃. The family will be here soon. I hope your day is full of peace and joy..
© 24hourcampfire