Home
Posted By: wabigoon Handheld gps - 08/08/12
Any thoughts on the best handheld gps for use in NW Ontario?
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Handheld gps - 08/08/12
garmin 76cx--I've owned 'em all and this is the best. 'Course they don't make it anymore--new one is called 78cx. I got the backroads NWO chip for mine--kinda pricey but well worth it.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Handheld gps - 08/08/12
kkahmann, does that chip tell you about the lakes? And, how pricey?
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Handheld gps - 08/09/12
Years ago, we used to joke about the Swedish Compass. A spruce pole that was 25 feet long, that was held in the left hand going into the trees, and then held in the right hand coming out. Kept us on the straight and narrow, anyway. And no software updates to pay for. wink
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Handheld gps - 08/09/12
Thank you Brother Keith, I was thinking of a gaget that might get me back on a reef,(rockpile), or one I had not found before.
I bought a Lawrance Endura a few years back only to learn no maps of Canada are available.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Handheld gps - 08/09/12
Wabi--I got the backwwods edition of NWO from KLM in Thunder Bay. KLM is an outdoor supply store--small shop so things are pricey. I paid $149 for it. It is very accurate on showing roads and shorelines and even elevations.

I know a bear hunter from Southwest Va that is way more computer savy than me. He bought a set of 4 CD's from Cabela's I think that had all of Canada on it. He made up a micro CD for me off those big CD;s and its the exact same thing I have.

I have a Garmin Astro 330 which I use to keep track of my hounds and I think the handheld unit is based on the Garmin 60. It works wonderfully with the chip in it but the background map it came with leaves a lot to be desired.

I hear rumours that garmin is going to be coming out with depth maps of some of the larger lakes in Canada--they are going to do it by satilite apperantly.

I use a gps nearly every single day--I should know more about them than I do. I occasionaly forget to put my cell phone in the holder on my hip but never my gps. I use to carry a compass also but not much anymore-- I have learned to keep a couple of AA batteries on me at all times.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Handheld gps - 08/09/12
Garmin 62 is the benchmark all others are compared too
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Handheld gps - 08/09/12
Garmin Gecko is the best I've used. Got the original model mounted to my 4wheeler handle bars & the newer model always in my pack when hunting new country. It runs on 2 AAA batteries & weighs maybe 3 ounces. It's never failed me.
Posted By: emilyee Re: Handheld gps - 08/09/12
The Oregon 450t is great i've used.It has all the features expected of a high-end GPS receiver. These include a large touch screen with a user-friendly interface; 3D map viewing; built-in topographic maps; wireless sharing with other Garmin Oregon and Colorado GPS receivers through Bluetooth connectivity; paperless geocaching ability; barometric altimeter; and the capability to save multiple user profiles and settings.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Handheld gps - 08/09/12
The 5" GPS is my most used one. I use it every day when I drive. It has a 'walking' mode and is not all that heavy.

I have a small one that can hang around my neck and another one for the boat.

The 5" is a Tom Tom brand. Two Garmins burned out.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Handheld gps - 08/11/12
If you have an Android phone, nothing can compete with downloading "Back Country Navigator. The cost is all of $10 bucks and it allows you to chose from several topo map options. You use it by downloading an approximate 50 square mile area that you're plan on exploring right to your phone. That way your data is on your phone and you only need the built-in GPS on your phone to use the map. No internet connection is required.

With a 50 square mile radius of Canadian topo map in my phone, I've been able to explore areas around my cabin in NW Ontario that I never would have found without it. I can see details down to small portage trails between lakes that are actually marked as portages, power lines, logging roads, etc. There is simply nothing better if you want to get way off the beaten path and find your way back again.

I've used the pricy handheld GPS units, and I can tell you that none of them can compete with the detailed topo information that Back Country Navigator has provided me on my phone.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Handheld gps - 08/11/12
. Waly, What is your phone? My is a verizon, and service is limitedI I lose it on the way to town. Then we have no plan for Canada, so calls are 70+ cents a minute.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Handheld gps - 08/12/12
My phone is an HTC Android on Verizon. BackCountry Navigator doesn't need any phone signal to work because as I already mentioned you download an approximately 50 square mile top area right into your phone. The only thing that is needed for it to work in a remote area is your phones GPS signal, with is not dependent on any cell phone reception.

Click Here

Posted By: emilyee Re: Handheld gps - 08/20/12
HTC with Android is a good smartphone with gps.
Posted By: MightyPeace Re: Handheld gps - 08/20/12
I have the Garmin 76CSx model. Purchase the chip with map infor for Ontario and you are good to go.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Handheld gps - 08/20/12
I've heard good things about this GPS. It's been out for about 1 year.

[Linked Image]

Here are some reviews.

https://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-etrex-20-reviews.html
Posted By: 1minute Re: Handheld gps - 08/21/12
Yes, Garmin 76cx is the only unit that will work in Ontario. The others just show a little character scratching his head on the display.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Handheld gps - 08/22/12
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Garmin Gecko is the best I've used.
Same here... Ive had my Gecko for 7yrs. Easy to use & works great.
© 24hourcampfire