Home
Posted By: oldguns Alberta Winter?? - 03/22/13
Can anyone say how bad Alberta's winter was pertaining to winter kill. I should be hunting just north of the Lac La Biche area this November. Thanks for any replies.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Alberta Winter?? - 03/22/13
Way to early to know yet.
Posted By: OldJoe Re: Alberta Winter?? - 03/23/13
I don't know where that is but the snow map for the upper 2/3 of AB shows MINIMUM snow depth of 30 cm pretty much everywhere, as of just now. I haven't been watching the AB maps since November when I started watching SK, therefore I don't know what happened in AB through the whole winter season.
Posted By: MightyPeace Re: Alberta Winter?? - 03/23/13
we definately have more than the 30cm snow coverage in northern Alberta...closer to 1 metre.

It wasnt a really cold winter overall. we had some cold snaps. Only time will tell to see amount of winter kill up here.
Posted By: troutfly Re: Alberta Winter?? - 03/23/13
As of yesterday, it was still snowing up that way.
Way too early to tell the extent of any winterkill though.
Posted By: tangozulu Re: Alberta Winter?? - 03/23/13
Northern BC probably has less than normal snow pack. Doubt winter was any issue for moose, caribou so far this winter.
Spring seems to have stalled though.
Posted By: GRF Re: Alberta Winter?? - 03/23/13
The mule deer buck my daughter shot in November had black frost bitten lower legs due to deep snow with a frozen crust from a slight warm spell. She is up in Manning the long term residents tell her that they expect rather significant winter kill.

As trout fly said way too early to tell about winter kill
Posted By: oldguns Re: Alberta Winter?? - 03/25/13
Thanks for the replies..I guess time will tell
Posted By: gonewest Re: Alberta Winter?? - 03/25/13
Anybody have any idea how hard the Peace River area got hit with snow this yr?
Posted By: GRF Re: Alberta Winter?? - 03/25/13
My daughter says 3-4 feet in places; she is up in Manning
Posted By: Tuffcity Re: Alberta Winter?? - 03/28/13
Huh. Might have to cut my lawn for the 3rd time in the past month. Bears are being seen already here too.

smile

RC
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Alberta Winter?? - 03/28/13
Still winter north of the US and even winter in some parts of the US still.
Posted By: Westcoaster Re: Alberta Winter?? - 03/29/13
I was up in High Level on Tuesday, Wednesday this week. Looked like a good 2 feet of snow on the ground.

The guys up there were saying winter came early and stayed late, mid January to now much more snow than normal.

Starting to turn though.

© 24hourcampfire