Home
Posted By: wabigoon Leftover turkey recipes - 10/15/13
Now what?
Posted By: troutfly Re: Leftover turkey recipes - 10/15/13
Sandwiches for a few days then soup!!!
Usually make an extra stash of stuffing for the sandwiches, just something about a scoop of stuffing on the turkey with mayo/pepper/salt on whole wheat.......gonna have to do a turkey now.
We had a ham this year.

For the soup I'll boil the carcass for about 6 hours, strain it out every couple of hours till I get a thick broth, almost like gravy. Then I'll do a 50/50 mix of fresh cold water and the broth, boil it up for an hour, add noodles, a bit of mesquite spice and some sliced carrots.
Posted By: senior Re: Leftover turkey recipes - 10/15/13
Just can't beat hot turkey sandwich smothered in gravy with side order of fries....ohh...feel my arteries clogging up already frown
Posted By: medicman Re: Leftover turkey recipes - 10/15/13
Sandwhiches are even more appealing than the hot dinner. 12grain bread toasted no butter. A little miracle whip salt pepper granulated garlic and I am a contented old fart.

We had a bear ham this year that I made last fall. Same treatment in sandwhich excepting no miracle whip but old havarti cheese and grainy mustard. By gar stilla a contented old fart.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Leftover turkey recipes - 10/16/13
How did you make the bear ham Randy?
I can't believe I'm going to share my Turkey casserole in front of God and everyone. You will need.
5 cups of turkey chunks
2 Large cans Campbells soup creme of mushroom
1 Large bag of corn tortillas
4 small cans of green chile diced
1 Large bag shredded cheddar cheese.

Mix the turkey, soup and green chile together. Cut the Tortillas into quarters. Take one stack of 1/4's (tortillas) and layer them in a glass dish. Scoop out enough soup to cover tortillas. Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese liberaly over the soup. Repeat 3 times. Put in oven at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve. Make as big a dish as you have. It's even better the next day.
Posted By: medicman Re: Leftover turkey recipes - 10/17/13
Wabigoon.

I made a brine with kosher salt and pink salt and brined in a crock one and a half weeks skimming daily and refreshing the brine every three days. I cold smoked it twelve hours and then baked it four. I ate one and froze one. The second was just consumed. Brine was kept strong enough to float an egg.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Leftover turkey recipes - 10/17/13
Thank you Randy, Another question, ever make bear bacon?
I got a question for ya Randy. . . . . . . How come you never invited me for bear ham? laugh I guess Wayne is a better brother. wink
Posted By: Arac Re: Leftover turkey recipes - 10/17/13
Leftover turkey:

Caramelize one onion (diced);
Cut meat into bite sized chunks and add to caramelized onion;
2 tablespoons Patak's Hot Curry Paste (or more if you like);
1 can of diced tomatoes;
1 cup of cream;
Salt;
Optional - crushed corriander.

Simmer and serve on rice.
Posted By: Arac Re: Leftover turkey recipes - 10/17/13
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Thank you Randy, Another question, ever make bear bacon?

Here is an excellent publication out of the Yukon titled "Bear Bacon & Boot Grease"

Bear Bacon & Boot Grease
Posted By: troutfly Re: Leftover turkey recipes - 10/18/13
Thanks for posting that link. I have often wondered how folks fixed bear other than the usual stew or steaks.
Posted By: medicman Re: Leftover turkey recipes - 10/18/13
Keith he was the best son, but he never got a taste of bear raw cured or otherwise. It looks like no bear this year but if next year I will save you some. A guy has to draw the line somewhere and sharing bear with Wayne was where. smile
Just joshing ya, medicman.

You've always been my favourite Brother. wink
© 24hourcampfire