[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
56 inches wide
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Good Bull for here - 10/22/13
Yes, a good bull for Anywhere indeed.
Posted By: sse Re: Good Bull for here - 10/22/13
Beauty...

What area of the lake-shore did that come from? (Generally speaking)
Posted By: NTG Re: Good Bull for here - 10/22/13
That's a new way of washing em off after gutting them! All kidding aside, very nice!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Good Bull for here - 10/22/13
After the bull, I like the boats. Is the fishing boat a Naden, or something else?
No fads, frills, or fancy stuff. Tools for a working man.
Posted By: eric123 Re: Good Bull for here - 10/22/13
very nice indeed, well done
Posted By: Arac Re: Good Bull for here - 10/22/13
That sure is a nice bull.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Good Bull for here - 10/22/13
Its a work boat--couple of Smokercrafts and a Nadin even a small Thorns up on the foredeck that has to be 30 years old. That 12 ft Thorns comes in handy--you shoot a moose up in the bush then cut a trail to it-slide the pop-can we call it up the moose--roll him in then drag him out.
Moose was called out just outside the Gull Bay gap--north side
Posted By: Jeffpg Re: Good Bull for here - 10/22/13
that's a good 'un!
Posted By: grovey Re: Good Bull for here - 10/22/13
Congrats
Posted By: woods1126 Re: Good Bull for here - 10/22/13
Great bull anywhere!! Congratulations! Kevin
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Good Bull for here - 10/23/13
Nice bull any where. With this years high water you should have almost been able to drive the boat right into the bush to pick him up wink

Jim
Posted By: medicman Re: Good Bull for here - 10/23/13
I'm impressed with the lasso work. smile
Posted By: ChipM Re: Good Bull for here - 10/23/13
Very nice bull, any other details, gun, caliber, etc you wish to share
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Good Bull for here - 10/23/13
Is that a tourist bull or one for your family? Very nice animal. Familiar with the area it was taken -- been there but not for a lot of years.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Good Bull for here - 10/23/13
Great looking moose.Rack nice and even.Congrats
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Good Bull for here - 10/23/13
The tourist was a former Vietnam Vet- he served with 1st BN 9th Marines (The Walking Dead). He sat watching a large grassy Bay for 9 hours and waited for an hour after the cow and calf came out. He took the bull with one shot thru the lights at about 80 yards with a Browning T-bolt in .325 WSM. The bull made it less than a hundred feet into the green and we pulled it out and into the water with the Tug.

I processed the bull today and we got 696lbs of meat--the neck alone wieghed 92lbs. Here's the best part--the client took a small rolled rib roast a few pieces of fast fry and 25lbs of triming for sausage pepperoni. Us Indians get to eat the rest and for a big bull it seems to be pretty nice meat. Fat content of the marrow bone was still firm and bright white.

I caped the bull out for him and sawed out the antlers and he told me he might have it mounted and bring it back to hang in my lodge. A really nice guy. He's coming back in June for speckled trout.
I love my job
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Good Bull for here - 10/23/13
Thanks for the information. Beauty of a bull! Did ya happen to stretch a tape across the rack at the widest point?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Good Bull for here - 10/23/13
If there was ever a bull worth a mount, you would have to believe that one is.
A cheechako question, do the antlers shrink with time?
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Good Bull for here - 10/24/13
We measure here straight across at the widest point-and of course we round up to the nearest inch. Sometimes you have an odd sticker point that can add a small amount but we count it anyway. Some guys like to measure on the diagonal which can add quite a bit--but I don't allow that. Since I run the processing shop Iam kinda the unofficial--official measurer.

You can download Boone & Crokett score sheets off the internet, and I have several scoresheets here in the shop. I like that method of scoring because you get points for symetry and width of palm and mass of beam. But we really don't B&C measure many racks we just use the rough and ready width measurement.

I understand the racks do shrink a little and B&C requires a minimum 60 day drying period but I really don't know how much they change. Its just for braggin rights anyway, its not like we are holding a contest or anything.

I can tell you for sure that a moose rack doesn't lose anything in the telling of the story and some have been know to grow considerably after death.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Good Bull for here - 10/24/13
kkahmann, Part of being a sportsman is in the telling. With a bull like that, not much embellishing is called for.
Does anyone know just how large a rack is on record?
Posted By: Scotty Re: Good Bull for here - 10/24/13
Congrats on the nice looking bull.
Posted By: medicman Re: Good Bull for here - 10/24/13
My biggest rack was harvested from an injured bull
that I killed with an axe. Long story. It got left behind when I moved here. 53" accross before embellishment. I cant remember how much it has grown since. smile
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Good Bull for here - 10/25/13
Refresh.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Good Bull for here - 10/25/13
Biggest one I ever shot was 54.5" across the widest points, parallel to the ground. He was a monster, but not as large as the one at the top of this thread. That one has to be the nicest one I've seen in these parts, for sure. Congrats to the guide and the shooter.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Good Bull for here - 10/26/13
killed some nice ones here over the years

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We sometimes get the girls involved
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's a nice one with good brow palms but was only 52 inches wide

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/kkahmann/moose/oct3-08035_zps4506cef2.jpg[/img]

a few from years gone by

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Good Bull for here - 10/26/13
A comment, and a couple of questions.
Only 52? Nice enough.
What do you feed those beasts?
Would any of those handsome gentlemen be yourself?
bottom pic with the oilies on
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Good Bull for here - 10/26/13
One more question, is that the only garage, or shop in the neighborhood with a Confederate flag on the wall?
© 24hourcampfire