Home
Posted By: shouldershot Deer outfitter advice - 05/05/15
Looking to plan a whitetail hunt for next year. Recommendations appreciated. Any areas allow more than one buck kill?

Price/value ? Driving from Michigan
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: Deer outfitter advice - 05/05/15
Might want to check with "Locke & Load Outfitter" in Alberta. My wife & I hunted with him in 2013. New lodging and is priced fairly. Very good enclosed stands with heaters. One negative to hunting in Alberta-- No Baiting of any kind. BTW brought back a #350 lb 10 pt that scored 148 +.
Posted By: shouldershot Re: Deer outfitter advice - 05/06/15
Thanks. I hear that recent winters have done a number on the deer.

Should I wait? I'm talking fall of 2016 for a hunt
Posted By: SKane Re: Deer outfitter advice - 05/06/15
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
One negative to hunting in Alberta-- No Baiting of any kind.

Seems about the only time I see this mentioned as a negative, the person hails from TX. smile
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Deer outfitter advice - 05/06/15
My BIL used to do a yearly hunt with Caribou Trail Outfitters. Most years he had successful hunts, but I think due to the winters and higher hunting pressure from the locals, the outfitter has struggled and is having to push deeper into the forests of SK. Hopefully one of brothers North of the border can provide more input on CTO.

Another outfitter that I was looking at is huntcanada.com, they seem to be on par with Caribou Trails as far as price is concerned, but they definitely are far more responsive when answering the questions of a potential client.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Deer outfitter advice - 05/06/15
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
One negative to hunting in Alberta-- No Baiting of any kind.

Seems about the only time I see this mentioned as a negative, the person hails from TX. smile

I'll take Alberta any day of the week and 3 times on Sunday.

Or Manitoba for that matter.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Deer outfitter advice - 05/06/15
Lots of the prairie boys saying the herds are down. Not a negative on whether to go or not, perhaps just a note to manage your expectations. If it was me, I'd be more interested in success the last season or two than previously.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Deer outfitter advice - 05/07/15
Originally Posted by shouldershot
Thanks. I hear that recent winters have done a number on the deer.

Should I wait? I'm talking fall of 2016 for a hunt

The last time I went to Canada was 2013. From the grumbling hunters in the airport there was widespread disappointment.

I have promised myself not to go back until there had been a couple of winters. that were a little milder with early spring green ups. I think this past winter Alberta had it better than Saskatchewan but I'm not going yet. If you're thinking about going the following season in 2016 that would probably be better than this coming November. Good luck!
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Deer outfitter advice - 05/07/15
PM sent
© 24hourcampfire