Home
Posted By: wabigoon Wool bib overalls? - 01/22/16
Anyone have the woolbibs?

Compare them to insulated duck?
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/22/16
Hot topic should get lots of hits,
Posted By: GRF Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/22/16
Codet wool bibs love them. Wool is a great outdoor fabric, keeps 80% of its insulation value even when completely wet. Insulated cotton Duck will not do that for you.

Wool is da real deal smile
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/22/16
Never owned canvas bibs. Have wool bibs from Sleeping Indian, Filson, and Malone from Woolrich. All are excellent but the SI are heavy duty.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/22/16
Super quiet, and warm, makes up for the weight.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/22/16
I wear wool while hunting and duck cloth when doing work ( firewood and such).........Wool warmer quieter , Duck tough outer material
Posted By: castnblast Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/22/16
What Wyoming260 said.
Posted By: HEB330 Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/22/16
Wool: Warm, quiet, sheds light water, but picks up burrs
Duck: Warm (not as much as wool, but insulated is), noisy, when treated can be water repellant, sheds burrs

Get Filson bibs and don't look back...😉
Posted By: lagerboy Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/22/16
Have a pair of Cabelas wool bibs with goretex. Love them. Wear them on the quad in the fall or duck hunting. Or just around the yard in the fall or winter. Wouldn't be without.
Posted By: markak338fed Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/23/16
Filson bibs,you'll never regret buying them.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/23/16
Maybe it's my memory, but seems like the wool garments now are made from thinner (less oz) than they used to be. Even the high end stuff. Good if you just want lightweight, but not as warm in real cold weather.
Anyway, wool bibs? Yes, good. If you buy a good brand you'll likely not wear them out.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/23/16
Wool is great and keeps you warm in very cold temperatures and bibs are great as they protect your kidneys. If its cold and windy though you'll freeze your ass off.
Posted By: 378Canuck Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/23/16
Wool is the only fabric that retains body heat even when wet unless some some new synthetic product is able to do that. So if you drop into icy water better to be wearing wool.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/26/16
Originally Posted by markak338fed
Filson bibs,you'll never regret buying them.

This ^^^^^^
Posted By: MO2AZ Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/26/16
If it isn't raining...but the wind is kicking strong, I wear a pair of tight knit nylon running pants under them, over my merino under's. The extra layer breathes, but stops the wind and in general seems to work well, but can get warm if the wind dies or the temp goes up during the day.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/27/16
I've been wearing Filson wool bibs for about 20 years and they are as good as they day I bought them. they are warm in the early morning hours and comfortable as they day heats up. the bibs allow body heat to pass up to your chest without a snug waist. mine are a size up to allow for layering. I only wear wool when I hunt for comfort and scent control
Posted By: battue Re: Wool bib overalls? - 01/27/16
Have Bean heavy wool pants and Filson light and heavy coat. Pretty much don't hunt in them all that much any more. Layering with wind blocker linings are much more comfortable and to move around in. Light weight layers are easily taken off and stashed in the pack if needed, Sitka gear for the most part. Expensive yes, but Filson is also and makes it pretty much a wash. In addition the Sitka gear is designed to keep air from getting in all the places the heavy wool clothing doesn't, which makes a big difference. Ability to vent on some of their offerings is another plus.

Rain? LW Cabelas space rain covers most of the situations I will be out in.
Again, LW and packs into a small size.

Dragging out a Deer dressed in heavy wool outer clothing is a sweaty job.
Posted By: CanuckShooter Re: Wool bib overalls? - 02/09/16
I could never find any that would fit me. Used my dads pipeline wool pants under an insulated bib way back when, but they only went half way down my shin so were only good when I wore pack boots.

These days I prefer the goretex/insulated one piece suits.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Wool bib overalls? - 02/09/16
I have a pair of black codets that I bought in 92 when I got out of college and really like them. Its incentive to watch the waistline so you don't outgrow your hunting clothing.

I wish there was a windproof shell on top of that repelled water & burs.

Recently bought some heavy cabelas wool bibs in the bargin cave. They are a nice upgrade, but they stupidly put a cotton liner from the knee up that I may remove.
© 24hourcampfire