Home
Posted By: Whelen Nut Alberta Moose - 10/05/17
[Linked Image]

I finally got lucky last week in Alberta and got this 40" bull. The temps were in the high 70's and the bulls weren't responding to calls. This guy stuck his nose out of some small Popples along a gas line and begged me to shoot him. A 180gr Accubond from Skane's Hillbilly Rifles300 WSM did the job.(Not the rifle in the picture). The bull stumbled forward and piled up in the bush at about 40yds. We couldn't see him so we went back to camp to get some 'younger eyes' to help track I took the scope out of the QD rings on my 350Rem Mag just in case he got up when we found him but there was no need for another shot. THEN THE WORK STARTED! My first moose after four hunting trips to Canada over the years. Scott and I had some steaks on the grill last night. Mighty fine chewing!
Posted By: ftbt Re: Alberta Moose - 10/05/17
Congratulations! Anything special you have to do get the meat back into the U.S.?
Posted By: SKane Re: Alberta Moose - 10/05/17
Congrats!
Is that pink ribbon(top right) to mark where they had him tied up? laugh

Tasty critter.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Alberta Moose - 10/05/17
Originally Posted by ftbt
Congratulations! Anything special you have to do get the meat back into the U.S.?

Was pretty easy. Just needed to have evidence of sex attached to a hind quarter with the tag. They got a little testy about bringing the skull and antlers intact. But I showed them that I removed the brain and then all was well.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Alberta Moose - 10/05/17
Originally Posted by SKane
Congrats!
Is that pink ribbon(top right) to mark where they had him tied up? laugh

Tasty critter.

I forgot to take that down, but I did remember to remove the logging chain from the antlers before the pictures were taken.
Posted By: iddave Re: Alberta Moose - 10/05/17
Nicely done buddy! I look forward to my care-package of moose steaks....
Posted By: battue Re: Alberta Moose - 10/05/17
Well done. I heard the guide placed that ribbon to mark how high you jumped when you succeeded after the fourth try. 👍
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Alberta Moose - 10/05/17
Congratulations. A lot of good eatin critter there.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Alberta Moose - 10/05/17
Nice bull!
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Alberta Moose - 10/05/17
Nice bull, congratulations. Hard to beat moose meat when it comes to the table........
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Alberta Moose - 10/05/17
Nice bull. Moose is my #1 meat to eat, if ya have any extra...... Congrats on a great hunt.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Alberta Moose - 10/06/17
EXCELLENT!!!!!!
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Alberta Moose - 10/06/17
Excellent!!!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Alberta Moose - 10/06/17
Good job, nice bull. You know what would be interesting, next hunt shoot one with a pump rifle 35 Remington.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Alberta Moose - 10/06/17
Congratulations, nice bull and a lot of fine meat.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Alberta Moose - 10/06/17
Originally Posted by roundoak
Good job, nice bull. You know what would be interesting, next hunt shoot one with a pump rifle 35 Remington.

Thanks!

A 35Rem would probably work just fine. My guide carried a M94 32Special.

I normally carry a 35W but last year I had a bull a long-far away so this year I opted for Scott's 300 WSM and, of course, Moosie shows up at 150yds. Well it all worked out, anyway.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Alberta Moose - 10/06/17
That's a nice bull, Conglads--Bob
Posted By: Teeder Re: Alberta Moose - 10/06/17
Congrats!
Posted By: ribka Re: Alberta Moose - 10/06/17
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
[Linked Image]

I finally got lucky last week in Alberta and got this 40" bull. The temps were in the high 70's and the bulls weren't responding to calls. This guy stuck his nose out of some small Popples along a gas line and begged me to shoot him. A 180gr Accubond from Skane's Hillbilly Rifles300 WSM did the job.(Not the rifle in the picture). The bull stumbled forward and piled up in the bush at about 40yds. We couldn't see him so we went back to camp to get some 'younger eyes' to help track I took the scope out of the QD rings on my 350Rem Mag just in case he got up when we found him but there was no need for another shot. THEN THE WORK STARTED! My first moose after four hunting trips to Canada over the years. Scott and I had some steaks on the grill last night. Mighty fine chewing!

a big congrats. Great eating meat

How did you get meat out and back to camp? My last hunt in BC for moose guides used chainsaws with vegatable oil to quarter out moose. Then we put in a canoe. Lot of work!
We quartered the big bugger (that's a Canadian term I learned) and put the meat in game bags and 4-wheeled it back to camp. 10-4 on the Lots of work! The Black flies were relentless, especially while skinning and quartering. The warm temps didn't help matters. Refrigerators/freezers back at camp were a blessing.
Originally Posted by battue
Well done. I heard the guide placed that ribbon to mark how high you jumped when you succeeded after the fourth try. 👍

Only in my mind. I couldn't jump that high on a trampoline. The guide was underwhelmed with my overall lack of the 'shakes'. Everything happened so fast I didn't have time to get excited. I assured him that I'm like a duck swimming up-stream...appearing calm, but paddling like hell under the surface. grin
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Alberta Moose - 10/06/17
THEN THE WORK STARTED! My first moose after four hunting trips to Canada over the years.

That's truth! Congrats on getting the job after four tries. laugh

I've watched people take a pass on an 'easy' pile of meat, well, the killing part anyway. Couldn't understand it when I was younger; a bit easier these days.
Posted By: comerade Re: Alberta Moose - 10/06/17
We quartered the big bugger (that's a Canadian term I learned) and put the meat in game bags and 4-wheeled it back to camp. 10-4 on the Lots of work! The Black flies were relentless, especially while skinning and quartering. The warm temps didn't help matters. Refrigerators/freezers back at camp were a blessing.

Hey I am from BC..what term are you talking about? Quartered or Big Bugger.I use both.Congrats
Originally Posted by comerade

Hey I am from BC..what term are you talking about? Quartered or Big Bugger.I use both.Congrats

"Big Bugger." We use a slightly different, more offensive term, south of the border. smirk
Posted By: SKane Re: Alberta Moose - 10/06/17
Originally Posted by battue

Only in my mind. I couldn't jump that high on a trampoline. The guide was underwhelmed with my overall lack of the 'shakes'. Everything happened so fast I didn't have time to get excited. I assured him that I'm like a duck swimming up-stream...appearing calm, but paddling like hell under the surface. grin

laugh
Posted By: saddlering Re: Alberta Moose - 10/06/17
Great Bull, always want to get a Bull Moose
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Alberta Moose - 10/07/17
Whoa. That is an awesome critter. Congratulations!
Posted By: handwerk Re: Alberta Moose - 10/07/17
Great stuff WN, feel free to send some steaks up with Skane for Mn. deer camp...haven't had moose for awhile.
Congrats!
Posted By: tzone Re: Alberta Moose - 10/08/17
Best hunting story of the year so far!! Congrats Paul!!
Posted By: davidlea Re: Alberta Moose - 10/09/17
Great bull and even better story!! Big congrats, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: JDK Re: Alberta Moose - 10/09/17
Very nice bull.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Alberta Moose - 10/10/17
Awesome! Congrats!

Looks tasty!!
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Alberta Moose - 10/10/17
WAY TO GO! Congratulations to you. There's a whole lot of great eating there.
I'm glad for you.
Jim
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Alberta Moose - 10/14/17
Well done. Moose meat is the best
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Alberta Moose - 10/14/17
Originally Posted by handwerk
Great stuff WN, feel free to send some steaks up with Skane for Mn. deer camp...haven't had moose for awhile.
Congrats!

That could work. Unless he is sick of eating it by then. crazy
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

Thanks, Charles. You would know.
Originally Posted by tzone
Best hunting story of the year so far!! Congrats Paul!!

Thanks, But not much of a story Tom, He stuck his nose out of the bush and I planted a 180AB in his left shoulder from Scott's 300WSM. End of story.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Alberta Moose - 10/14/17
Too cool Whelen Nut. I've really gotten the bug to do a moose hunt, but can't decide whether to do the Canada or Newfoundland thing. I do know I'm not spending $15k+ to go to Yukon. So, the meat is as good as they say? Did you take those Torics? Congrats....great pics.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Too cool Whelen Nut. I've really gotten the bug to do a moose hunt, but can't decide whether to do the Canada or Newfoundland thing. I do know I'm not spending $15k+ to go to Yukon. So, the meat is as good as they say? Did you take those Torics? Congrats....great pics.

Yes, the Torics were hanging around my neck. No time to use them. Didn't need them to see if he was legal. The guide said Shoot, so I did. laugh They did work very well though when glassing earlier. Good glass and very happy with them.

The meat is like a skinny Angus. Very good on the grill with a patty of butter on the flip side.

Rather than spending any more $$ on a moose hunt, I'd just buy an Angus from a neighbor and call it good. Too damn much work for this old phart! crazy
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Alberta Moose - 10/14/17

LOL, all 3 of those options are the Canada thing wink
JG...but go with an outfitter that someone recommends, that has hunted with them recently. Lots of Them promise everything and then under deliver--well you know that! The guy I hunted with is full-up for the next two years. There is a reason for that.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Alberta Moose - 10/14/17
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Ha........I guess you're right.......oops!
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Alberta Moose - 10/14/17
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Ha........I guess you're right.......oops!

BTW, yes, the meat is most definitely as good as they say. To my taste buds it's better than elk and black bear, and at least as good as BH sheep...
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Alberta Moose - 10/14/17
Yep, moose is right near the top when it comes to eating. Blacktailed deer might be a tad better but it's very close.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Alberta Moose - 10/16/17
Nice moose there WN. I can't believe you didn't use the Whelen for that. I'd give up all other hunting for moose and grouse.

Moose is my favourite red meat. I find that Yukon moose has a bit stronger flavor than the moose we have here in the east but both are fine eating.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Alberta Moose - 10/16/17
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

Big pot of Moose Chilli this weekend. Last weekend it was Moose vegetable soup.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Alberta Moose - 10/17/17

If you decide to go I had a great hunt with Copper River Outfitters in BC. It was a meat hunt not a wilderness hunt but it was fun. Lot of hiking, glassing, cruising to glass open areas and a little boating on lakes. First class folks. JoelBlitz did a goat hunt with them a couple of weeks before I went Moose hunting and had a great hunt as well.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Alberta Moose - 10/25/17
Congrats!! Just saw this....
Posted By: Teeder Re: Alberta Moose - 10/25/17
BTW, yes, the meat is most definitely as good as they say. To my taste buds it's better than elk and black bear, and at least as good as BH sheep...

It's been too many years since I've had moose meat, but I remember liking it. I do know I love elk and black bear.

I need to give Newfoundland another try.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Alberta Moose - 12/21/17
I've been chewing on a lot of that moose the last couple of weeks and much prefer it to deer and elk. I like black bear almost as well BUT bear meat causes gout flare-ups for me. Moose doesn't do that which is a very good thing!
© 24hourcampfire