Home
Posted By: BC30cal Herding Chickens - 11/21/17
Fellow denizens of the Fire;
Our eldest daughter and I were able to get out hunting a fair bit this fall after a couple years of her living elsewhere. Though we still haven't cut any tags, we've had some grand days afield that I'll cherish as long as my mind allows.

One of the things we were both happy to see was a return of blue grouse which we'd not seen for a few seasons now. These two somehow weren't Mensa candidates by any means.

Anyway thanks for looking at our part of the world and all the best to you all as we head into the winter. Happy Thanksgiving to our friends south of the medicine line too.

Dwayne
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Herding Chickens - 11/21/17
Great video, pretty funny stuff smile
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Herding Chickens - 11/21/17
Thank you Dwayne, not Rawhide, but ridin' drag, is ridin' drag.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Herding Chickens - 11/21/17
smile A good way to start my day. Thanks.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Herding Chickens - 11/21/17
Hello Dwayne

That's pretty cool. We don't have the Blue Grouse in this part of the country. About 3 hours north in Chetwynd is the only place I have ever seen them. I call those grouse super chickens due to their size.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Herding Chickens - 11/21/17
Great video!
Lots more grouse this Fall than for the past few years, both on the coast and the Interior of BC. I will admit to eating several blue sooty dusky whatevers plus some ruffed and what we used to call spruce grouse. The names in the regs are now confusing but the grouse taste the same.

Herded some right into the fry pan with a little butter, salt and black pepper.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Herding Chickens - 11/22/17
On more than one occasion I have collected a couple grouse for dinner using rocks as ammo! Definitely got to be way back in to pull that one off!
Posted By: SKane Re: Herding Chickens - 11/22/17
Dwayne,

Thanks for sharing the video - I got a good chuckle.
I don't think you're giving the grouse enough credit though - they obviously knew you had bigger critters on the brain. If you were actually looking for them, they'd still be scarce.
That's my experience with grouse anyway. laugh
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Herding Chickens - 11/22/17
SKane:
Thanks to you and the rest for the comments.

We sorta quit shooting grouse a few years back when we just were not seeing enough anymore in the local mountains.

In the same way I stopped buying moose tags as I didn't want to shoot the last one on the mountain, you know?

Thanks again to you all and all the best as the winter comes upon us.

Dwayne
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Herding Chickens - 11/22/17
I took a long drive up into the higher country looking for grouse, enjoying my wife’s company and letting the dogs pretend to be dogs and I didn’t find a single grouse. I’ve killed Ruff, Spruce and Blue grouse at various spots in this area so not seeing a single one was disappointing. Spending time with loved ones is the only thing that matters.

Dwayne....i was thinking about you guys a few days ago when I was in and around the Okanogan and Twisp Area. I sincerely hope your memory and health allows for many more decades of spending quality time with your girls. After you’re gone those memories will live on through them. Ain’t nothing more important in my world than spending time outdoors with special people.

We’re headed over east again and I’ll take long walks and quiet talks with my wife and daughter and I’ll cherish every second while scouting some new area.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Herding Chickens - 11/23/17
Dwayne
One of the most enjoyable things I have seen on the 24HCF. Your voices and commentary added reality and a whole lot of fun. Thanks so much. We, in this part of the world, have Ruffed Grouse. We called them Partridges when I was a boy hunting the Adirondacks. They sure are wily. Sound like a headerless V8 when they take off.

Thanks again for sharing with us. Gave me some smiles.

Thanks
Jim
Posted By: troutfly Re: Herding Chickens - 11/24/17
Dwayne,

Thanks for sharing your video! Looked easier than herding cats at least.
Reminded me of an encounter I had many years ago with a Porcupine.
I was hunting grouse north of Hinton AB, kind of wandering along a logging road
when I started down a steep hill. I noticed something about 100 meters down the hill headed slowly up.
As it got closer I saw a rather large Porcupine out for a stroll himself. As he drew abreast of me I nodded in his direction,
said howdy to it fully expecting it to disappear in the bush when it heard my voice. Instead he glanced at me, kind of nodded its head and
continued up the road. Critters in the bush can sure be weird!

Hopefully your hunting season is going well. Be safe my friend.
Jeff
Posted By: littlecmonkey Re: Herding Chickens - 11/25/17
We got Ruffed here that are just about as bright. My buddy always calls them juicy tubs of meat.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Herding Chickens - 12/22/17
Thanks for sharing always nice to see some nice fat blue grouse. In my experience though I can't get within 100 yards of them in a truck before they fly off at speed in to the next time zone! Maybe I should switch to a diesel truck. wink Actually, I have seen them pretty unaware of their surroundings in the spring when they're love sick and hooting away in courtship mode. Here's hoping they're on the rebound in your area Dwayne they are really neat birds.
Posted By: molly Re: Herding Chickens - 12/22/17
I've seen Blues here in Bonners a few times........................

Apparently ours are a bit more sophisticated than the more northern blue...............................

© 24hourcampfire