Home
Posted By: abbydog .358 for Newfoundland moose - 09/13/18
What size bullet makes sense?
180 Gr TSX or .225 Nosler partition?
I’m taking a 7 mm Magnum as a primary and the .358 is our backup, both Browning Lever actions
Posted By: szihn Re: .358 for Newfoundland moose - 09/13/18
I killed an Alaskan moose with a 200 grain 348 Winchester, and the bullet didn't exit. I like exit wounds, so with that as a background, if I were offered the 2 bullets you list I would take the heavier bullet. My bull was a 1 shot kill, but if I were to do it again I would see if I could find some of the Barnes 220 or 250 grain bullets. MY kill was from about 30 yards.

Talk to your outfitter of local hunters and ask them directly if shots over 250 yards are common. If they are not, (my guess is that they are not) I would think of the 358 as the primary and the 7 Mag as the back-up. Neither is lacking anything for your hunt however. Use a bullet that has a reputation for exiting such large game.

Happy Hunting.
Originally Posted by abbydog
What size bullet makes sense?
180 Gr TSX or .225 Nosler partition?
I’m taking a 7 mm Magnum as a primary and the .358 is our backup, both Browning Lever actions

I'd use the 225 NP. Heavier weight and guaranteed expansion. I wouldn't overlook a 250gr C&C as well. I've had good luck with Speer 250s.

If you're going to shoot 180s from a 358 you might as well take a 308. smile
I shot one with a 225 Speer out of a Whelen. Performed quite well.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: .358 for Newfoundland moose - 09/15/18
Don't take chances on a guided hunt. Use the Nosler Partition
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: .358 for Newfoundland moose - 09/15/18
Originally Posted by SuperCub

If you're going to shoot 180s from a 358 you might as well take a 308. smile

Right!
I've shot a few moose on NFLD and were ranged from 275 to 350 yds...

One was with a .308 & 165gr IB, the others were .338WM 210TTSX and .338wm 225TSX
Originally Posted by blargon
I've shot a few moose on NFLD and were ranged from 275 to 350 yds...

One was with a .308 & 165gr IB, the others were .338WM 210TTSX and .338wm 225TSX

Aren't you going this fall?
The 180 grain option is copper, so it will stay at 180 grains the entire way and will penetrate much farther than a 180 grain cup and core. With that said, I believe that 180 grain TSX is geared more for deer size. The 200 TSX or TTSX would be perfect for moose.
Picked up some Buffalo Bore ammo, so far so good.
The 358 Win would be my choice as the primary, with 225 Partitions.
That’s what I shot from Buffalo Bore. Shoots 1”high at a 100 yards consistently.
That’s what I shot from Buffalo Bore. Shoots 1”high at a 100 yards consistently.
Posted By: Kota Re: .358 for Newfoundland moose - 09/29/18
I shot through a Canadian bull at 220 yds. with a a BLR in 358 Win. Used handloads and a 225 Nosler Partition. Went in behind the facing shoulder and broke the offside shoulder and exited. Went 20 yards and dropped.
Posted By: ofelas Re: .358 for Newfoundland moose - 10/02/18
Good advice regarding the .358 pills.

The locals usually hit them with semi trucks, but I've taken a few with Barnes TSX 150 grainers driven quite quickly, granted, all under 220 yards.
I haven't shot moose with the 358, but I've taken two large black bears with 250 gr cup-and-core bullets that did NOT exit. That didn't matter much, both bears dropped dead within a few yards of the shot. But an exit wound would have been nice if any tracking had been involved. I won't use these loads on big critters again.

I'd be inclined to go with a Partition or a Barnes TTSX 225 gr bullet if I was going after moose with a 358 in the future.
Posted By: EdM Re: .358 for Newfoundland moose - 10/07/18
We killed all manner of game in Africa using the 200 gr TTSX out of a custom pre-64 M70 358 Win. Zero issues. My 2008 BC moose and elk went down via 35 Whelen pushing the 225 gr TSX. They just work and have for me in a pretty good pile of game including cape buffalo via the 350grTSX from a 416 Rem. They are all I use anymore. Also, IME, they do not need velocity to work.
I used the Browning Lever Action 7mm Magnum with 160 Grain Federal Nosler partitions.

First shot went through a lung and left a plume of water in the small pond 20 yards behind it. Second shot through a lung and bounced around a shoulder. Last sho was high in the back and ctrased the stomach.

It dropped within 20 feet of the first shot.

Ranged at 263 yards.
Posted By: Bugger Re: .358 for Newfoundland moose - 10/12/18
The Partition - first choice of what you've mentioned. Can't go wrong with Partitions!

I shoot primarily 250 grain interlocks in my 358, but 250 grain Speer Hot Core bullets are great too. Not all cup and core bullets are nearly as good as these two, IMO.
Congrats on what sounds like a great hunt. I always felt my 358 would be a good load for moose. I have a few hundred 275 gr round nose Hornadys from back in the day. I would use those and the 9.3s would be backup.Rusty
Most of my moose I've shot over the years, has been with the 358 Winchester up north here in Alaska. I typically used the 275 grain woodleigh over 42 grains of Alliant Reloader 10x for 2200 fps. My biggest moose so far, was a 57" racked bull hit square in the chest during a charge. Instantly anchored on the rivers edge. The bullet was found in the one inch-thick diaphragm, near where it attached to the ribs. The bullet was badly distorted, but still intact. The prior years bull, was a 55" racked moose shot square through the front quarters while quartering away. The 275 grain Woodleigh drove clear through, and broke the bones of both front quarters. I only ran the 275 grainer because I could. It certainly isn't necessary. I've since switched to 250 grain A-frames over 44 grains of reloader 10x for 2400 fps.

The 358 was my first rifle, and though I've made room for a 9.3x62 mauser, I still prefer the 358 when hiking up any elevation is involved. It's a lighter rifle. There's been a lotta ballistic talk, and hypothetical thinking out lout about the 358 over the years, but not much hunting from these guys. Lot of it is in forums, and online articles, and I shake my head aye. The 358 needn't be loaded light to chase velocity, it's juvenile. The 358 gets it's magic, from a 250 grain bullet. Just for reference, the 200 grain nosler accubond or the 200 grain barnes ttsx, are longer than a 250 grain flat base bullet, no need in limiting an already limited powder capacity, for negligible gains in trajectory in the real world.

With the 358, most flat base 250 grain bullets seated to standard COAL, will only seat down to the bottom of the shoulder. They don't consume any powder capacity.
348 win, 338 federal, 338 RCM, and 358 win are my favorites. They're way underrated but very effective. It's just too bad they aren't more popular.
© 24hourcampfire