Home
I decided to post this update, rather than continue the original thread with Ranting's nonsense in it. The italicized portion is the original post. The update is as follows: I received the two certificates from Ottawa this morning. I will forward them to Reloading International. The US still has to approve the export. The timeline seems to be on track for the end of March

The purchase is for 750 Speer 70 gr. TNT bullets.

---

I don't think that any Canadians or other non US citizens have ordered from this company. I decided to order some bullets from them to see how the process works. The company is in Oregon. http://www.reloadinginternational.com

The Process

It starts the same as any Internets order. Pick your poison. Pay. Transactions are in USD.

After you've finished paying, you receive an email. You print three documents.

1. An application to import into Canada. This is a CDN government form. It comes to you filled out. All you have to do is review the document for correctness, sign and date it.
2. End use statement. This is a declaration, attesting that you are importing them for your own use and not for resale or to be given away. This must be signed and dated.
3. Purchase order. What you ordered. This is signed and dated.

You place the signed forms in an envelope and mail them to Ottawa.

Within 7 to 10 days, you will receive the International Import Certificate as a PDF via email. Forward the email with the PDF attachments to Reloading International. Once they receive the documents, they apply for an export permit. That takes 7 to 10 days.

When they get the export permit back from Washington (or wherever), the bullets will be shipped to you.

My Order All prices rounded off

Speer 6mm - 70 gr HP - 750 bulk pack

Cost of bullets - $102 USD
Cost of export lic. - $10 USD (10% of order price)
Cost to ship - $57 USD

Total (rounded) $170 USD or $221 CDN Taxes will add $15 CDN
Grand Total - $236 CDN or $31 CDN and change per 100.

I couldn't find these bullets in Canada. That's why I ordered them. It is a viable option for any bullet that may be difficult or impossible to get here.

I did find 75 gr. Speer bullets, but no bulk packs. The cost up here for them is $30.49/100. I multiplied the price by 7.5 (750 / 100) and it came to $228.68. It may be cheaper than this, if Speer bulk packs sold here, but couldn't find anything, so I went with the closest I could find.

Comparison: Buying in Canada

Cost of Bullets $229 CDN
13% HST - $30 CDN
Cost to ship - $21 (4.5 kg via Canada Post)
Grand Total - $280 CDN

Saving are $44 CDN.

The savings aren't huge, but they are there. They have a lot of bullets, but it doesn't matter what the price is if you cannot get your favourite hunting, target or varmint bullet here. I can also get my bullet jackets there - Sierra or J4. They have lots of stuff on their site, including reloading dies, brass and reloading accessories. Depending on what you need, it may be worth a look.

So, how long do I wait? 10 days for Canada to approve the import permit. 10 days for the US to approve the export permit. 7 days for shipping. If these times are accurate, I should have them by the end of March.
Everything has been sent to RI as of noon today.

So far, everything has gone smoothly. In Canada, the first two or three months of the year can be the worst for getting reloading supplies. The annual price hikes come into effect. Store selloffs to reduce stock for income tax and make room for this years stuff can make it harder to order things.
On Friday, I received an email saying that they should get the export forms shortly. I am hoping that my order ships sometime this week.
My order has shipped. It looks like a 6 to 7 week process.
Dang! No wonder you make your own. That'd drive me to living off cast, I think.
I wanted to try it. They have a nice selection of bullets and the prices are good, even with the high US dollar and shipping. It is something that I will do in the future, but only with bullets that I do not need immediately. If I lived in the States, I would probably check them out. Not having to bother with export permits and international postage would make RI even more attractive.
According to the tracking, my bullets went from Oregon to California. Wrong way! smile Probably going to LAX and then here.

Scan History
Date Time Location Status
April 20, 2019 11:37 TORRANCE,CA,90505 ARRIVED SHIPPING PARTNER FACILITY, USPS AWAITING ITEM
April 19, 2019 12:58 LOS ANGELES,CA,90051 ARRIVED SHIPPING PARTNER FACILITY, USPS AWAITING ITEM
April 19, 2019 11:09 LOS ANGELES,CA,90052 ARRIVED SHIPPING PARTNER FACILITY, USPS AWAITING ITEM
April 16, 2019 23:28 PORTLAND,OR,97215 ARRIVED SHIPPING PARTNER FACILITY, USPS AWAITING ITEM
April 15, 2019 17:08 PENDLETON,OR,97801 SHIPPING LABEL CREATED, USPS AWAITING ITEM
April 15, 2019 16:29 PENDLETON,OR,97801 ARRIVED SHIPPING PARTNER FACILITY, USPS AWAITING ITEM
Will be here by Thursday apparently.
After I saw your post and I called them , I am going to give it a go myself for bullets unavailable in Canada. Addison told me it is most viable if it goes into a 20lb box. Thanks for the tip
You'll have to tell me how it went. It's slow, but if you get what you want, it's worth it.
The bullets are now with Canada Post.
The bullets went to customs for inspection on 23 April. They were released from customs on 2 May. Apparently, Canada Post in Vancouver has them.

The order got to RI on 1 Mar. So far, the wait has been 9 weeks. The hold ups all resulted from government paperwork. The time required to get the import documents from Ottawa. Time for RI to get the export documents from Washington, once they received the Ottawa documents.

Then they are mailed, but customs has to inspect them and check the paperwork. That took 9 days.

This process is fine, as long as you don't need the goods right away.

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the update. Looks like it could be a good option for those who have some patience and want certain hard to get items. I'll be watching to see how it all ends up for you.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
The bullets went to customs for inspection on 23 April. They were released from customs on 2 May. Apparently, Canada Post in Vancouver has them.

The order got to RI on 1 Mar. So far, the wait has been 9 weeks. The hold ups all resulted from government paperwork. The time required to get the import documents from Ottawa. Time for RI to get the export documents from Washington, once they received the Ottawa documents.

Then they are mailed, but customs has to inspect them and check the paperwork. That took 9 days.

This process is fine, as long as you don't need the goods right away.

[Linked Image]

Steve, not sure they would have what you are looking for, but I order from Titan Reloading all the time. Titan is in the US and their service has been first class. I have never had to wait 9 weeks for an order. Three weeks is pretty usual for me and Im in the Yukon.
I order from Dennis a lot - except for custom stuff.

This order from RI was for bullets. I wanted to check out prices and ease of ordering. I have concluded that both the Cdn and US goverments have complicated what used to be an easy process. The order should be here by Friday. Before 9/11 life was much less of a hassle.

I have also concluded that the process would only be worthwhile if I cannot get bullets through my regular channels.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I order from Dennis a lot - except for custom stuff.

This order from RI was for bullets. I wanted to check out prices and ease of ordering. I have concluded that both the Cdn and US goverments have complicated what used to be an easy process. The order should be here by Friday. Before 9/11 life was much less of a hassle.

I have also concluded that the process would only be worthwhile if I cannot get bullets through my regular channels.

Yes I agree post 9/11 changes complicated things. Either myself, my wife or friends, travel to the US often enough that I get most of my bullets that way. There's a little shop in MO that usually has anything a guy could want. I've even found some very hard to find dies there. Last year my wife brought home a few hundred Barnes Originals for the 375 Winchester. Those are almost impossible to find up here. Canada Customs has never been a problem.
I'm glad you found a good place to deal with, south of the border. I used to deal a lot with a store in Washington - Kesselrings. They went out of business after some trouble with the government there.

I haven't picked them up yet, but I just got a notice that the bullets are in town at the post office. I will pick them up later today.

So, to conclude this post, the bullets were ordered the 1st of March and were delivered the 6th of May.
Steve I just saw this thread.

A mate of mine gets bulk orders along with others, sharing postage from RI. He says it goes pretty well and they do it semi regularly. They save a lot but as you say there is some waiting.

- Bob
That's nice to hear. RI is filling a niche. Especially for those of us who are looking for specific bullets.

[Linked Image]
I'm exhausted just reading the rigamarole you are going through. These are called NTB's "Non Tariff Barriers" They REALLY don't want you doing this. Good on you that you are toughing it through.
Steve,

Sounds like some of you Canadian folks are becoming Masters of Hoop Jumping. The Gooberments of both countries should provide you with a nice Diploma on some good parchment.

I'll not comment further, as this wonderful State I live in is rapidly becoming exceptionally well versed in the art of installing hoops to jump thru.

Congrats on your International Purchase.

Geno
Thanks. It's not something I would do regularly. I have other sources. But I had to try it.

More hoops in government than the NBA.
© 24hourcampfire