Home
Posted By: gitem_12 Moose in Ontario or Quebec? - 12/31/19
I don't like the aspects of 1 moose for 2 hunters. Not thrilled about Quebec but I notice some outfitters offer one bill per hunter packages

Does Ontario have similar packages?
I don't understand your question "one bill per hunter package"?

As far as the potential to take a moose then Newfoundland is probably your best option.

Jim
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim

As far as the potential to take a moose then Newfoundland is probably your best option.

Jim

I would second this idea. Cheers NC
When fishing around Wabigoon Lake I see no moose.
Originally Posted by northcountry
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim

Jim

I would second this idea. Cheers NC

I think he means 1 "bull" per hunter instead of "bill". The "i" is right next to the "u" on the keyboard.

Moose populations are really suffering in the area I used to hunt in the NW. And it ain't cheap for non residents.

Newfoundland seems to have a good population of moose. And you get to partake of the Newfie culture as well.
Nf dowsntni twrwst me I want this to be a drive to hunt.

Yes one bull per hunter as opposed to one bull per two hunters
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Nf dowsntni twrwst me I want this to be a drive to hunt.

Yes one bull per hunter as opposed to one bull per two hunters

It doesn't interest you? If you ever hanker for an east coast adventure, I think you'll like the Rock. (Newfoundland)
Can I driver to NF? If not, it doesn't interest me
gitem 12;
Good evening to you sir, I trust that this last day of 2019 finds you well.

Although I've not personally driven to Newfoundland, our eldest daughter and her husband did and it's on my bucket list to do in retirement.

There's a ferry to get there, which is about 6 hours more or less if memory serves from what they said. I believe it's between Sydney, Nova Scotia and lands at Port aux Basques, Newfoundland.

From what I can glean on Canadian forums, Newfoundland is one of the few spots north of the medicine line where the moose populations are stable and not in decline.

Hopefully that was somewhat useful information, good luck whichever way you decide and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Dwayne
You can drive to Newfoundland. You'll have to take the ferry across to it.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When fishing around Wabigoon Lake I see no moose.

You see more as you go north of Red Lake.
When I lived between Vermillion Bay and Kenora I rarely saw moose. Too many deer, and too many wolves.
Originally Posted by colorado bob
You can drive to Newfoundland. You'll have to take the ferry across to it.

I was researching that after seeing Dwayne's post. It's now an option. Though Newfies are out of their mind on Caribou prices
I would avoid Quebec. Saskatchewan has guided Moose hunts too.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Moose in Ontario or Quebec? - 01/01/20
Morning gents, since you now have to buy a wolf license to shoot a wolf (in ont.) there numbers are up and the moose numbers are down. Our draw on moose tags is ridiculous!!! Maybe if you went with black powder, or archery in a very very hard to get to unit, you may draw a tag, maybe. I haven't went for moose in years so not sure about guides in Ontario , pretty sure guides in Newfoundlan get a few tags allotted to there business. Not sure about Ontario. . Newfoundland has no timber wolfes or very little so they have more moose. It's supposed to be great hospitality and the food is unbelievable, sea food, moose steaks, old fashioned house wives cooking, baking, pastries, hell im gona sign up tomorrow. Hope this helps. I'm out. Bill. 🐾👣🇨🇦
Ontario is in the midst of completely transforming their moose tag system and no one knows how it will settle out. A decision likely won’t’ be made until at least April. Word is they’re considering a points system.

I’ve committed to our moose camp for this year but depending how it shakes out, it may well be my last year moose hunting here.
Ontario has plenty of moose—you wouldn’t know it because since they closed down 38 paper mills there hasn’t been any road maintenance so drive in is limited.
Ontario outfitters are allocated tags but they are restricted severely just like resident tags are.
The only local guides i could recommend have retired—just like me.
I have a friend—very knowledgeable—who recently moved to Pelly, Saskatchewan—he said moose thereabouts are plentiful.
Posted By: Judman Re: Moose in Ontario or Quebec? - 01/01/20
Check out Alberta too gitem,
Originally Posted by Judman
Check out Alberta too gitem,

Alberta is probay out of the price range
Alberta has some of the most reasonable prices for big game hunting. It is on my to get to list for Whitetail, Mule deer, Moose and wolf.
Posted By: Judman Re: Moose in Ontario or Quebec? - 01/01/20
Once you go, it'll be all you think about. Absolutely love Alberta...
Can't wait!
Posted By: sse Re: Moose in Ontario or Quebec? - 01/02/20
first time i heard a newfie speak, seemed only vaguely similar to the King's English.
A lot of the population of Newfoundland comes from Ireland, and they loathe the English King.

grin
Keith, you once said, there are no Nefew jokes, those are true stories.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Keith, you once said, there are no Nefew jokes, those are true stories.

Especially when told by a Newfie. smile
From what I have read the Moose numbers are problematic in Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and New Brunswick. A lot of Moose vehicle collisions. Doing a lot of crop damage too apparently.
Posted By: Kota Re: Moose in Ontario or Quebec? - 01/03/20
Check out Viking Outposts in Red Lake Ontario. I've used them many times and have been very pleased with the amount and quality of bulls seen. Good outfit, very reasonable prices for fly in hunts, Wouldn't ever recommend a drive in hunt. Locals shoot anything that gets near a road. I've also used Luenbergers out of Nakina to good success. Access to the Ogoki river Basin.
PM me if you want more info. I haven't been in 5 years, but I never spent more than $3,000 for the entire hunt, including gettin there.
I killed a nice bull on Lac Seul in 2014. My outfitter gets 3 tags per year. I've been on his waiting list for another hunt for three years and may not come to the top till 2022. The good outfits are booked well in advance. I want to go to NF. Did a moose hunt into the Yukon in 2017 but I'll never be able to afford that again.
Quebec is reasonable. You and a buddy do have to shoot the same Moose. I could see why you wouldn't want that for your first Moose though.
© 24hourcampfire