Home
I went by the booths of Arluk Outfitters and Ironbound Outfitters at DSC last weekend. Anybody hunted with either of these? I like the fact they have fly in access to their areas and not drive in. Thanks for the input.
I'm not familiar with either of those, however I hunted 2 years ago with another and a must is book a fly in hunt. Odds of a better quality hunt and finding a mature bull increase dramatically.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I went by the booths of Arluk Outfitters and Ironbound Outfitters at DSC last weekend. Anybody hunted with either of these? I like the fact they have fly in access to their areas and not drive in. Thanks for the input.

I found this for you.

I highly recommend Red Indian Lake Tours and Outfitters Fred and Shirley will make sure you have a quality hunt!
If you do go to hunt in Newfoundland and can afford the time do some touring as well. I have never been (it is on the list) but everyone I know who has been says it is a truly wonderful place with the friendliest and most helpful folks you can hope to meet.

Having worked oil and gas in Alberta my entire career I have had the joy and privilege of working with a lot of Newfoundlanders; to a one they are folks of the first water.

JG, good luck in finding an outfitter and may you have a wonderful weekend.

GRF
Thanks GRF, much appreciated sir. Hope yours is a great one as well.
JGRaider,
You are on the right track by choosing the fly in option. It substantially improves your odds for a good hunt and a better moose.
It is important to have clear understanding with your outfitter about the kind of hunt you expect.
In my case, I require a camp with no more than 4 hunters, a cook, and multiple Argoes.
On my last NF hunt, the river valley, that was holding several good moose, was 4-5 miles from the cabin to the edge of it. Makes no sense to me to spend prime hunting time humping low percentage ground to get to where bullwinkle lives.
Further, humping bullwinkle back to the cabin that distance might kill me. Our outfitter had all of his Argoes set up with a frame, winch & cable that permitted them to get bullwinkle dropped into the back of the Argo for the ride home.
It is huge country. Much of it is darn difficult hiking for a variety of reasons.
There is more than a fair chance you'll experience some wicked wind and rain. Use of the Argoes makes hunting those days a lot more palatable.
As Argoes are notoriously high maintenance, more than 1 is required.
On my last hunt, all 4 of us scored on bulls. There were 3 Argoes available, and yes one failed during the week.
We hunted early til late. The guides showed lots of hustle, and enjoyed the meals the cook had ready for all of us at zero dark thirty, and again at the end of the day.
Last, the outfitter had arrangement to fly out any moose taken early in the week to be processed.
We had a good week, with cold nights. All of us had taken our moose by Wed. In my case, we were able to hang the moose for 2 nights before he went to the processor. It was like he was one big tenderloin.
My 2 cents of stuff to think about and discuss with whatever outfitter you choose. There are lots of good ones, and a few mediocre choices.
fishdog,
PM sent
I hunted with Ironbound Outfitters in 2017, I had a good time, there are some things I wish I knew before I booked the hunt, though. I’ll send you a PM after work tonight.

Johnny,

PM Pugs and ask him who he hunts with up there.
Thanks guys........will do Jeff. Much appreciated.

fishdog, if you don't mind, PM me with your outfitter please.
Originally Posted by hatari

http://www.westwoodsoutfitters.com. - Not fly in but very respectable animals killed and a wonderful experience.

DO NOT use Effords - https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...land-moose-hunt-photo-heavy#Post13412090
Thanks Pugs. I doubt I'd ever drop $20k on an Alaska moose, so this NF deal is very appealing to me.
Thanks Pugs. I doubt I'd ever drop $20k on an Alaska moose, so this NF deal is very appealing to me.
Originally Posted by Pugs

http://www.westwoodsoutfitters.com. - Not fly in but very respectable animals killed and a wonderful experience.

DO NOT use Effords - https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...land-moose-hunt-photo-heavy#Post13412090

Agreed.
Definitely Westwoods Outfitters!
I began hunting with them 2006. Their spaces are filled very early. 2020 may be filled now. Many of their hunters are repeat clientele who scheduling the next years hunt before leaving camp. Make reservations early.

Click here; http://www.westwoodsoutfitters.com/, click on Gallery, look at slide 52.
I shot the 16th moose that I saw on the first hunt. My 270Win 130TTSX @ 3100fps will do the job.
Take a look at Moose Valley Outfitters. They have two fly-in camps and run a good hunt. I hunted with them in 2018 and I'm headed back this year.

http://www.moosevalley.com/

^^^This^^^

Newfie moose hunt is one of the very best hunting values in the world if your goal is a great experience and a freezer full of wonderful meat. You won't see the trophies you see in the Yukon, Alaska or some other western place but you will be spending less than a 1/4 of the money so it makes going back (or doing something else somewhere else) a very easy decision.

And Newfies? They're just fun people who live in some wonderful scenery.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Well, Westwoods is booked for the next couple of years, so I reached out some. I found a highly rated outfit (thanks Fishdog) by the name of Mountain Top Outfitters that has a couple of openings (cancellations), as does Caribou Valley (Sou'Western Outfitters) but they are quite a bit more expensive.

Anyone else know anything about Mountain Top? Appreciate all the help.
Sounds fun JG -
I really want to get back there!
Originally Posted by GregW
Sounds fun JG -

I can't tell you exactly why I want to do this so much, other than it sounds like quite the adventure, and it's definitely something way different than I've ever done. Can get some meat shipped home too, so that's always a bonus.

I would not recommend Ironbound. Hunted with them the year before last, not good experience.
Originally Posted by camdog

I would not recommend Ironbound. Hunted with them the year before last, not good experience.

This may or may not be true. But your post needs to state why. You aren't helping anyone out when you don't tell us why you feel that way.
Another question for those who have traveled via Air Canada. I see where they charge $50 to transport your rifle as baggage. I would be leaving out of Dallas, with two stops. Is this $50 fee per leg, or per final destination? Obviously it makes a big difference. Thanks.
Originally Posted by GregW
Sounds fun JG -

I can't tell you exactly why I want to do this so much, other than it sounds like quite the adventure, and it's definitely something way different than I've ever done.

Seems like the perfect reason to me!
Good luck to ya JG.

JGRaider, PM sent

Anyone wanting to know why I advise against Ironbound should feel free to PM me. I will respond.
I'll throw out a recommendation for Next Ridge Outfitters. They do a high quality fly in only (helicopter) hunt, essentially 100% success on good for newfie bulls. Everything about it is excellent, wooden floor heated wall tents, camps regularly rotated, above average food, see about 20-25 animals each day. Shane Mollon the owner is very interested in providing top notch quality. Kind of surprised me a little after the hunt when the first thing he asked me is what can he do better to improve the hunt. Haven't linked to it in years so not sure if it works but a small album of the hunt with my flintlock.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive...ipMwX4vdYrpVNH9pHp4_i9UFiE41oQTqoLosbNM3

Site: http://www.nextridgeoutfitters.com/experience.asp

Accidentally found the pic below in an article in the NRA American Hunter magazine, had no idea it was there just saw it thumbing thru the magazine.

Attached picture 001c.jpg
Has anybody hunted with Hinterland Outfitters? They seem to have a very fair price and I have heard of some good experiences with them. I think fly-in is probably is a good thing, just that the price seems to go up considerably. Trying to not get into the $8000-9000 dollar range if I can help it.I know you have to pay to play though.
Like I said in the thread you started on this subject that I (and a friend of mine) used them. Craig Pomeroy is a nice guy and runs a good operation. Unless you really like to fly, there is no reason not to use a drive-in operation. You take a jeep trail then an ATV trail to the lodge. The area they hunt is very nice (the lodge is on a lake) and there is plenty of game. We all saw and bagged a moose and I saw Caribou. There are plenty of Bears there too. The accommodations were excellent.

Are you planning on flying to Newfoundland or are you driving to Nova Scotia and taking the ferry? When we went hunting, we drove and took the ferry. When my wife said that she had never seen a Moose but wanted to, we vacationed there and flew into St. John's and rented a car and drove from one end to the other. She saw many Moose. The one thing to consider about a drive-in vs a fly-in operation; with a drive-in you won't have the chance of poor flying weather keeping you out of camp.
I'm planning on driving, for the reasons you state. I flew my first hunt to Saskatchewan, and wouldn't do it again. Too many problems. I'm about 16 hours from the Nova Scotia side of the ferry, and figured I'd get a room and rest on the ferry ride. I don't mind a fly in camp, but I don't insist on one either. This outfitter seems like they produce good bulls for a decent price. I see some costing much more, and while they show some very nice bulls, most have at least some, if not a lot, of pictures of small bulls taken. I'm not holding out for a 40" bull, but I also am not shooting a bull moose that has smaller antlers than my Saskatchewan whitetail bucks lol. This sounds very promising and I think I'm on the right path for what I want. Thank you for the response and information.
I've hunted moose in Newfoundland several times and have always taken the ferry. I book the ferry several months in advance to reserve my place for the truck & trailer and to hold my stateroom. It works out well to take the 11pm ferry and to get a good night's sleep in a private room. All the rooms have a small bathroom in the corner which has a shower too. There is a bar onboard for a nightcap and breakfast is available in the morning. If you're pressed for time in the morning you can grab a coffee and a roll on the way to your truck. During moose hunting season the ferry will be PACKED so plan in advance.

Most outfitters are within easy driving distance from the ferry terminal. If you want to get to your outfitter early in the day then take the ferry a day earlier and stay overnight in Newfoundland. Deer Lake would be a good overnight destination and will greatly shorten you drive in the morning.

Keep the ferry terminal's phone number handy because if you get a moose early in the week and decide to travel home a day or two earlier you can change your reservation and beat the crowd trying to get off the island. However, if you have the extra time you may want to travel up the west coast and stop in at the seaside communities for some site-seeing and local dining. Newfoundland is a wonderful place to visit.
Looks like my Sept 11th moose hunt will be canceled, so maybe next year. I was really looking forward to it.
I feel like I'm in exile as well JG. We are saving a lot of cash! laugh
Looks like my Sept 11th moose hunt will be canceled, so maybe next year. I was really looking forward to it.

Johnny,

Has that been formalized? My BC outfitter is still holding out. His email.

Hi Guys

Sorry for the group email, but we wanted to update everyone and try to do a better job of communicating how things are looking for the coming season.

We have been working with our local Outfitting Association closely and they are working directly with the government around how things would work in a quarantine situation, as well as when we are looking at an open border scenario. Unfortunately, it's been a slow process. So far we don't have anything concrete.

As we approach your hunt dates we will have to make a call on whether we will be operating on your dates, deferring to later in the fall, or deferring to a future year. This could potentially be right before your hunt. If you are booking flights, book flex fares- or plan on driving.

It costs a lot of money to be prepared for the season; 190 horses ate all winter, the plane has a fresh annual and is ready to go. We spent 3 months trapping wolves and many other preparations. If you did purchase trip insurance before covid hit please advise as that will greatly reduce the strain of this if we are unable to do the season. Our goal going into this fall was that if the worst case scenario did happen we would be able to move everyone without cost sharing the expenses from this year. Unfortunately, if we lose the entire season we don't think we will be able to do so without impacting future hunts severely. Our goal has been to downsize both Stone and Folding Mountain and improve the quality, providing the best trips that will be available. We don't want to move this year's hunts to the future by simply adding to the harvest in those years. It wouldn't work well and we would be doing a poor job for those future hunters also, some of which could potentially be you. If hunters are being moved to a future hunt year, they will be placed into existing openings, so that we are not putting excessive pressure on the area by over harvesting.

Please understand that if you are considering canceling your trip this year we will be unable to sell it to another and you will lose your whole deposit. If you bear with us, we will know what moving your trip to a future year will cost by the end of the fall and as long as we are not dealing with a total closure for the whole season, the expense should be minimal to nothing.

Thanks for your patience, there is just a landline up here, no cell service so if you are having a difficult time reaching us and would like to speak over the phone, please send me an email and we will connect with you as quickly as we can, often the quickest and easiest way to reach us is email.

We will absorb as much loss as we are able to without impacting future trips. These trips we do are beyond personal to us. We want to make sure that you as our hunter know that you are in the right place, even if it ends up being at the wrong time as we go through this. We look forward to hunting up here with you in the future, hopefully really really soon!

Looking forward to your trip up here with us!

Blair
Ed, not officially yet, no, but the outfitter doesn't hold out much hope. I should have been more specific. I hope you get to go though. Sounds like a great trip.
I hate to be a wet blanket but I can't see where our government will agree to the border being opened by Sept. or October. Unfortunately for you Trump mishandled the pandemic from the beginning by not giving it credence. Things are so much worse with regard to covid 19 in the U.S. as compared to Canada that I can't see the government agreeing to open the border and thereby endangering our population.

This is unfortunate for not only the hunters but also the guides and outfitters who are impacted. Just keep in mind the thousands of people who would be impacted by a border opening at this time.

Jim
It has gotten harder, and harder over the years to get into Canada, and back to the US.

I can buy fish cheaper than I can catch them, but I miss our place, and our good friends.

It is modern times, I can stay in touch by phone, and internet, still--.
Originally Posted by Rug3
I began hunting with them 2006. Their spaces are filled very early. 2020 may be filled now. Many of their hunters are repeat clientele who scheduling the next years hunt before leaving camp. Make reservations early.

Click here; http://www.westwoodsoutfitters.com/, click on Gallery, look at slide 52.
I shot the 16th moose that I saw on the first hunt. My 270Win 130TTSX @ 3100fps will do the job.

We here in the Atlantic Provinces have a near zero covid problem so am looking into a few outfitters close to the ferry. It's not looking like they are going to open the border any time soon for travel either way so there may be some deals to be had for us who can go there.

Agreed.

I've been talking to Stewart from Westwoods for the last month trying to see if I could make it happen this year. He is quite friendly & very good at prompt communication. I use these indicators as how the service will be. Long story short, I was able to get the time off work and finalized a hunt with him in early Oct. Booked the ferry today.

A NFLD moose is something I wanted to do when I retired, but this covid deal has mad a good window of opportunity for us locals to hunt there this year. Prices are very good and lots of open spots to go.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Agreed.

I've been talking to Stewart from Westwoods for the last month trying to see if I could make it happen this year. He is quite friendly & very good at prompt communication. I use these indicators as how the service will be. Long story short, I was able to get the time off work and finalized a hunt with him in early Oct. Booked the ferry today.

A NFLD moose is something I wanted to do when I retired, but this covid deal has mad a good window of opportunity for us locals to hunt there this year. Prices are very good and lots of open spots to go.

Good luck.
We rescheduled our October 1 hunt to next year unless they open the border. If they do I may be the only one hunting from our party and book one for next year as well.
Originally Posted by abbydog
We rescheduled our October 1 hunt to next year unless they open the border. If they do I may be the only one hunting from our party and book one for next year as well.

Who do you go with?
I can't go next year, so my outfitter sent my deposit back to me. Good, honest guy. I was really looking forward to it though.
What are you folks paying for tips there?

One fellow suggested tipping the cook and guide both. I thought sounded reasonable but not sure on amounts.
WE TIPPED THE GUIDE 10% or more, our hunt was $,6,000 a fly in and I tipped my guide $700 and left him a Leopoldo Range finder and two boxes of 7mm that I wasn’t going to use.and 6 hunters chipped in $150 each for the cook.
He was not only a good guide, a real nice guy that did little things like heat up a pot of tea for us at lunch, share his knowledge of the area and experiences since he was a kid trapping, hunting and fishing.

In 2018 he was 60 YO
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Agreed.

Good luck.

I had a great week with Westwoods. Top notch hospitality. Awesome overall. Only 5 in camp this week because of the covid. I shot a 6 pt bull on tuesday to beat the weather forcasted for the remainder of the week.
Don't forget to bring an interpreter. We couldn't understand a damned thing our guide said. I felt terrible because I had him repeat everything multiple times before I could make it out. laugh
Originally Posted by Teeder
Don't forget to bring an interpreter. We couldn't understand a damned thing our guide said. I felt terrible because I had him repeat everything multiple times before I could make it out. laugh

LOL ..... That is so true. I was in camp with a bunch of sports from the south shore of NS and the rest were Newfoundlanders. Coupled with my hearing loss, I didn't understand 1/2 of what was said last week. It was great!

If you tell them they talk too fast they will tell you to listen faster. smile
laugh
© 24hourcampfire