Home
Posted By: wabigoon Lake Ice? - 05/04/20
I hear the ice is black on most lakes. How soon ice out?
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Lake Ice? - 05/04/20
May 15th, wink
Posted By: BowRiverFlyGuy Re: Lake Ice? - 05/04/20
The ice has come off most lakes in southern Alberta in the last week roughly. I fished a lake this weekend that was iced over completely earlier in the week.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Lake Ice? - 05/04/20
It was May 16th last year looks to be about the same this year. We had a rather mild winter but Spring kinda stalled out with very slow thaw. Hard frost every night so that helps with road conditions and culverts. Smelt are running on Lake Superior should run this coming weekend on Lake Nipigon.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Lake Ice? - 05/04/20
Thanks good folks.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Lake Ice? - 05/04/20
Wabigoon Lake is usually one of the first in your northern AOO. Thunder is one of the last, but a long term part time resident like you knows all that. Some of the local boys keep records of that very thing.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Lake Ice? - 05/04/20
The lakes might be iced over again before I make it to NW Ontario. Good open water fishing good Canucks.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Lake Ice? - 05/20/20
Ice went off Lake Nipigon yesterday—dipped a few smelt last night.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Lake Ice? - 05/25/20
One of my old buddies sent me the picture of a nice pickerel his son caught in Thunder Lake. Said it was 31 inches long. Nice fish.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Lake Ice? - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The lakes might be iced over again before I make it to NW Ontario. Good open water fishing good Canucks.

Be next year before you make it up here again for fishing. I think the Feds are milking this Covid crap for all it's worth and there is some talk the border is closed for "several more months".
© 24hourcampfire