Home
Posted By: DBLGNR 338 Federal Questions ?? - 11/23/21
Thoroughly enjoyed the 338Fed postings on this site. Very informational. My specific questions. I recently ordered a Savage 110 Storm 338 Fed. from Buds and it should be here soon. Reloaded since 1970 for hunting purposes only. Since 1990 have reloaded for the families cache of 308 Win 70 Classics. Have 100's of once fired 308 cases, both brass and nickel plated. 100 + 358 Win. brass also. Have a RCBS 338Fed. new die on order. Hopefully with tapered expander. Sizing up to 338 Federal do I use the brass or nickel plated. Also, any one using 358 Win brass and sized down to 338 Fed.? With very little options to buy components I do have 3 boxes of Barnes 160 tipped bullets and 200 ct. of 200 gr. Hornady Soft point. {not SST} This will get me started. Am focused on finding a source for the Barnes .338 185gr. TTSX bullets. I've been sold on premium bullets since starting with Bitterroot and Nosler PT in the 70's and using most of the available premiums that are marketed since then.. Bless the inventor of the bonded process. Add to this, I understand rebarreling is an option for getting my Model 70 308 to a 338 Fed. But has anyone had a barrel rebored to a different caliber. Like .308 Win. to .338 Federal. To what result? Any sources for the reboring? Appreciate any response. Moving on from the .308, because I want to. Looking forward to it. Old guys need a new project.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: 338 Federal Questions ?? - 11/26/21
Hey Buddy,

You may want to move your post to the Hunting Rifles forum or Reloading for Big Game forum.

This forum doesn't fit your questions very well.
Posted By: MOW Re: 338 Federal Questions ?? - 12/12/21
Hello,

I rebored a Browning A-Bolt. They use a magazine that snaps on the floor plate. The magazine has an insert in the front that narrows down to fit the profile of the round, this is suppose to help stop the round moving forward during recoil. I had to enlarge that some with a dermel for the larger 338 because the rounds were pinching together while loading the magazine. Also, the 308 Win COL is 2.800 and 338 Fed is 3.820, so I had use the dermel and lengthen the the front of the insert to accommodate the slightly longer COL. The 338 Fed is never going to be a long range round, I think it is best to stay with 160gr to 185gr bullets to keep the speed up. Many field reports have shown the 160 TTSX will break both shoulders of an elk and turn the insides to soup, don't let the lower weight scare you. The 160 TTSX will do everything the 180s-225s cup/core bullets will do and keep the velocity up for a flatter trajectory. A very over looked bullet is the Woodleigh Weldcore 180. They make a 338, 180 bullet just for 338 Fed/338-06, unlike other manufactures that try to make one bullet that covers 338 Fed to overbore 338 Mags, this bullet is designed for up 2900 FPS. The best part about the Woodleigh Weldcore 180 is, the BC is about the same as Nosler 180 AB and about $30 a box less. The Woodleigh bullets are proven in Africa and are every bit as good or better than Nosler AB for $30 less. I wouldn't go heavier than 180s, you lose too much velocity and you can do everything you need with the 160 and 180s. If you feel the need to go heavier than 180s, I wouldn't go with a bonded bullet, those 338 bonded bullets were designed for the 338 magnums. I would go with a standard cup/core bullet, the 338 Fed low velocity, and bullet design for higher velocity should hold together fine.
© 24hourcampfire