Home
Posted By: Pashooter M1 Garand primer choice - 12/08/12
Ok so of the available large rifle primers what is the best choice for the Garand. The CCI 34 is supposed to be Mil Spec but i read it is also a magnum and best used for Ball Powder. Of the other primers on the market who makes the hardest.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: M1 Garand primer choice - 12/08/12
I wish I had a count of how many CCI 200's I've shot through Garands.
At Camp Perry alone it runs into the 6 figures.
Primers will be back. Just like after the 08 election they will return in 6 months to a year, and just cost more than ever.
Thanks Barry!
Posted By: Pashooter Re: M1 Garand primer choice - 12/10/12
Actually I don't have a supply problem. Just getting started reloading the Garand and want to be sure to do it right as far as components.I read lots of info on slam fires, so i would like to get as much info from experienced reloaders on what works and what to avoid. CCI seems to be a popular choice and I am watching the seating depth. Are the Mil Spec primers the way to go is what I am asking?
Posted By: mtmisfit Re: M1 Garand primer choice - 12/10/12
don't know about being the hardest but I've never had a slam fire with CCI in my Garands. CCI 200 & CCI 250 depending on the powder.
Posted By: MZ5 Re: M1 Garand primer choice - 12/12/12
I think that step 1 is to avoid Federals. They're the ones I know of that have slam-fired on people (that's not to say that no others have ever slam-fired...), probably because of their higher-sensitivity priming compound.

I use 'regular' CCI and Wolf primers in mine, or magnum versions of same, if that's what I have on-hand.
Posted By: Pashooter Re: M1 Garand primer choice - 12/12/12
The Federals seem to be a problem in the Garand and most folks are favoring CCIs. Does anyone have experience with the CCI mil spec #34 does it effect accuracy? I assume a reduction in charge weight would be in order. I Appreciate the input.
Posted By: MZ5 Re: M1 Garand primer choice - 12/13/12
CCI/Speer says they're ballistically identical to the 250, FWIW.
Originally Posted by MZ5

Then why does the Mil spec # 34 cost $4 more on average per K?
Posted By: timbo762 Re: M1 Garand primer choice - 12/15/12
I always used Winchester Large Rifle primers and never had a problem.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: M1 Garand primer choice - 12/15/12
CCI 200s work well for me in the Garand.
Posted By: MZ5 Re: M1 Garand primer choice - 12/16/12
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by MZ5

Then why does the Mil spec # 34 cost $4 more on average per K?

Did you intend to ask this question of ATK, the present owners of CCI & Speer?

My off-hand guess is that it costs more because they can get more for it. People don't tend to do much research or checking on things, they tend to just look at names, packaging, and maybe some ad copy. So, they see 'mil-spec' or something about suitability in mil-surp rifles, and want it. Even if it costs a little more. That's what marketing is.
Posted By: Pashooter Re: M1 Garand primer choice - 12/25/12
I loaded up a few rounds with the CCI 200s took them to the range cycled one thru the action without firing. Sure enough there was a very faint ding on the primer. I was using a SLED as I was told this was the proper way to single load the Garand. The rifle was a real treat to shoot and performed way above what i expected.Last time i shot a Garand was at ITR in 1966.Thanks for all the input on the primer question.
© 24hourcampfire