Home
Posted By: RAM Came across some "odd rounds" - 11/22/16
I picked up a few odd cartridges at a club meeting that I had never seen before. Having trouble finding info. hope someone can help me out.

They appear to be factory loads as there were no signs of the cases being reloaded. One was 25-35 win. the other was .300 sav.

Rather than a bullet sitting atop both cases, there was a brass cup, think bullet jacket that was never swagged around a lead core, and the cup is filled with some sort of light weight organic (?) media sealed into the cup by some kind of bonding agent.

Any ideas?? Thanx
Posted By: RAM Re: Came across some "odd rounds" - 11/24/16
Mystery solved.

Coulter safety flares.

Marsh Coulter Co. Fraser Mich.

Marketed for lost hunters back in the '70's ????
That is an intresting find. I have heard of the flare cartridges but never would have believed them in those two rounds. Both had slipped from the mainstream of hunting cartridges by the 70s.
Cool. Hey post a picture when you get a chance on the off hand that someone else comes across one and this thread!
Speaking of odd flares, standard flares are either 12ga. Or 35mm.
A while back, i found a company that makes all kinds of specialty ammo, like dragon's breath, and starshot, and they also made flares in various sizes. I was interested in the. 410ga for a trunk gun. They are no bigger than the brass alone, and use only a primer for propellant. Came in red (restricted to emergency use) and green (signalling). Never did get them ordered, but if i do purchase a savage 42 in .410/.22lr, i will.
Back in the 70's I had some, or something like them in 30-30. I remember shooting one off one night and thinking that it wasn't much of a light.

Lost interest in them after that and have no recollection of what I did with the rest.

© 24hourcampfire