Home
Posted By: bamagun01 Bullet stuck - 12/02/17
Just started with new RCBS dies, reloading for 358 win. Every single time I try to set the bullet SPBT 225gr. it gets stuck in the die. I have to screw the bullet holder all the way down thru the die to remove the bullet. I have lubed the die, bullet and cases. Nothing helps. How do I correct the problem other than changing to another type bullet?
Posted By: colodog Re: Bullet stuck - 12/02/17
I never lube dies bullets or cases when trying to seat a bullet.

It sounds like the case is crimping before the bullet is seated?

When setting a new seating die, I load an empty case in the shell holder and run it all the way up.
Screw the seating die down until I feel it touching the case and back off 1 turn. Lock the set screw in the lock nut.

That's my best guess, Good Luck with the project!
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Bullet stuck - 12/02/17
Originally Posted by bamagun01
Just started with new RCBS dies, reloading for 358 win. Every single time I try to set the bullet SPBT 225gr. it gets stuck in the die. I have to screw the bullet holder all the way down thru the die to remove the bullet. I have lubed the die, bullet and cases. Nothing helps. How do I correct the problem other than changing to another type bullet?

Do the bullets you have seated have a ring cut into the bullet below the nose?

If so, that is from the seater plug having machine tool marks in it or a "knife edge" on the inside edge of the seater plug that is grabbing the bullet. I had the same issue with my .30-06 RCBS seating die. I just chucked the plug into a drill and polished the inside with a piece of sandpaper I had formed into a cone. Problem disappeared.

Ed
Posted By: Tejano Re: Bullet stuck - 12/11/17
Both of the above have happened to me. On the seater plug I put some course valve compound on a bullet chucked in an electric drill, then followed up with fine compound and then Flitz.

The crimper on RCBS dies have given me fits when I over adjusted them. I have even buckled case necks due to operator error.

A dirty die will also do this.
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: Bullet stuck - 12/19/17
I used a drimmel on it. Works fine now. It had an edge on it that was grabbing the bullet. Not anymore.
© 24hourcampfire