Home
Posted By: woodmaster81 Corncob vs walnut media - 12/20/17
I need new cleaning media and am wondering if there is a difference between walnut and corncob in usage? Looking at the packaging it seems walnut is dustier than I recall corncob being but that may be a faulty memory. I've always used corncob but the local shop has only walnut on hand.

I use my tumbler for general cleaning if the brass is dirty. I'll toss the dirty brass in the tumbler and turn it on for a couple of hours to clean. Lately I have been using Hornady One Shot as a lube and I have used the tumbler for cleaning after sizing.

So, is there any reason to use the one over the other or is there no difference? I don't need to make a decision immediately but I'll be putting in an order soon and would add corncob media to the order if necessary.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/20/17
Walnut cleans quicker, but won't put as high a shine on the brass as corn cob. I don't polish, I clean, so I use walnut.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I'm going to stick with corncob as the walnut appears to be "dirtier" based on how the bag looks. It's probably the stain in the shells and I can see me leaving finger prints all over.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/22/17
I've had good results using walnut media with Frankford Arsenal Brass Polish for vibratory case tumblers. I add 2 or 3 teaspoons of the brass polish to the tumbler bowl each time I clean a batch of cases. Don't mean to sound like a commercial, but the polish does not contain ammonia or other additives that can be harmful to the brass. It also shortens the tumbling time needed to get a good shine. Works great for me.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/25/17
I LIKE THE WALNUT WITH THE RED ROUGE IN IT FOR THROUGH CLEANING. IT DOES LEAVE A FILM THOUGH. THEN I FOLLOW UP WITH CORN COB FOR FINAL CLEANING.

EXCUSE ALL CAPS. HAD RT SHOULDER REPLACED AND I AM TYPING LEFT HANDED, ONE FINGER
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/26/17
I bought some of that Lyman walnut with the red rouge once. It left a mess of rouge residue all over the brass inside and out. So like you, I had to tumble again in clean media to remove the rouge. Why do twice what should take once? I washed all the rouge off the walnut so I could use it up.

Are you cleaning brass or making jewelry? I want the dirt and loose carbon removed and an hour in walnut will do that and polish some. I haven't found the walnut any more dusty than corn cob and it holds up better.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/29/17
I used the crushed walnut litter folks use for their reptile pets. It's cheaper than the reloading media and fine enough not to get jammed in primer holes. I usually add a squirt of liquid car wax. My brass comes out nice and shiny.

Dan
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 01/18/18
+1 on the lizzard bedding, I got tired of digging media out of flash holes. If I add anything it is Mother's Mag Wheel Polish and then only a pea size lump. Lately I have been using my wet tumbler with just Dawn and Lemi-shine no SS pins, it gets the cases nice and clean and no media mess or pins stuck sideways in primer pockets.
Lots of things work but For bright shiney brass I like corn cob media with a few capfulls of Cabelas brass polish.......This combo makes for some beautiful brass indeed....Good luck....Hb
Posted By: Tejano Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/11/18
I would use stainless steel pins then corn cob with either Iosso or car polish added. Much faster.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/11/18
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I need new cleaning media and am wondering if there is a difference between walnut and corncob in usage? Looking at the packaging it seems walnut is dustier than I recall corncob being but that may be a faulty memory. I've always used corncob but the local shop has only walnut on hand.

I use my tumbler for general cleaning if the brass is dirty. I'll toss the dirty brass in the tumbler and turn it on for a couple of hours to clean. Lately I have been using Hornady One Shot as a lube and I have used the tumbler for cleaning after sizing.

So, is there any reason to use the one over the other or is there no difference? I don't need to make a decision immediately but I'll be putting in an order soon and would add corncob media to the order if necessary.

I use corn cob as it is lighter than walnut and agitates easier.
Posted By: Owl Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/11/18
I just bought a tumbler. Never used it before. I have both corncob (lyman) and walnut (frankford).

Just wondering how the Lyman stuff works if you dont had any brass polish or other cleaner ?
Originally Posted by Owl
I just bought a tumbler. Never used it before. I have both corncob (lyman) and walnut (frankford).

Just wondering how the Lyman stuff works if you dont had any brass polish or other cleaner ?

I use lizard litter from pet smart for a fraction of what they charge for gun specific media, I add a cap full of New Finish car polish. Works great.
Posted By: Owl Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/11/18
I already had the corn cob media. Got it free from work. 4 OF THE 6lb bottles.

I just finished up a bunch of .223 brass. Looks pretty good. I got rid of my ski boat in a divorce, and had a bunch of Meguiar's Marine wax that I added to the4 media, so I used that.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/19/18
Originally Posted by Owl
I already had the corn cob media. Got it free from work. 4 OF THE 6lb bottles.

I just finished up a bunch of .223 brass. Looks pretty good. I got rid of my ski boat in a divorce, and had a bunch of Meguiar's Marine wax that I added to the4 media, so I used that.

Excuse me...why on Earth would you be adding a wax to cleaning compound?
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/19/18
+1 on the lizard bedding, finer particles don't get stuck in the flash holes and it does just as good a job cleaning.
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I bought some of that Lyman walnut with the red rouge once. It left a mess of rouge residue all over the brass inside and out. So like you, I had to tumble again in clean media to remove the rouge. Why do twice what should take once? I washed all the rouge off the walnut so I could use it up.

Are you cleaning brass or making jewelry? I want the dirt and loose carbon removed and an hour in walnut will do that and polish some. I haven't found the walnut any more dusty than corn cob and it holds up better.

The trick with that stuff is to mix it with walnut media. Go 30-40% Lyman tuff nut next time. You won't get that red dust on the cases anymore and your brass turns out very clean and polished..
[Linked Image]
Use lizard litter from the pet store. Cheaper and works better with just a little McGuire car polish and wax from car parts store.
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/28/18
Originally Posted by gunswizard
+1 on the lizzard bedding, I got tired of digging media out of flash holes. If I add anything it is Mother's Mag Wheel Polish and then only a pea size lump. Lately I have been using my wet tumbler with just Dawn and Lemi-shine no SS pins, it gets the cases nice and clean and no media mess or pins stuck sideways in primer pockets.

Do your primer pockets come out clean using wet tumbler and no ss pins? I hate messing with the pins, but always have carbon in the primer pockets when I don't use them.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/29/18
Using the wet tumbler without ss pins the primer pockets come out looking not a whole lot different than when they went in. I use a primer pocket brush in a cordless screwdriver to clean the primer pockets every other time if they have significant carbon deposit.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/29/18
Nothing wrong with the screwgun, but why woud you forego the ss pins in the wet tumbler? I use the slightly bigger pins that very rarely get stuck and the primer pockets come out looking pristine.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/30/18
Shaking the pins out of the cases is a PITA and I feel no need for pristine looking primer pockets. But to each his own.
Posted By: arky65 Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 12/31/18
Been using the lizard bedding for years, never used anything else. I, do not care if the brass is shiny. To keep dust to a minimum and keep the media clean, put cut up used drier sheets in the tumbler it will collect the dust and dirt, throw away after each use.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 01/18/19
English walnut shells ground up.
If you check out Grainger, you can buy corn cob media in a 5 gallon pail for aroun $40. At this moment, I can’t remember what Grainger calls it, but they don’t call it media. Work great. I get the fine grade and none gets stuck in the flash hole.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Shaking the pins out of the cases is a PITA and I feel no need for pristine looking primer pockets. But to each his own.

Try using the Lyman separator pans. These along with a Frankford Arsenal magnet makes the pins no problem. Hasbeen
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 03/21/19

It seems that there are many differing ideas on cleaning brass. Some don't clean at all and take great pride in dirty brass. I prefer the clean brass. After reloading, using One Shot lube, I put the loaded cartridges in the vibrator and vibrate them clean. No wiping, easy clean up. I have tried several cleaning agents and find that the RCBS concentrate to work the best. The others will help clean, but they don't get the shine that the RCBS concentrate does.

The RCBS concentrate goes a lot farther as well, as they recommend that you use 2 ounces of concentrate to a gallon of water. I then pour a little into the vibrator and let it run a couple hours and the ammo comes out nice and clean...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 510rob Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 05/22/19
Corn Cob Media is re-marketed rodent bedding with a few drops of polish added to it.

https://andersonslabbedding.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Bed-oCobs_1_8.pdf
Posted By: misser Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 05/28/19
Corn Cob Media. but if its really dirty ss pins soap & a touch of lemie shine
Posted By: LouisB Re: Corncob vs walnut media - 08/24/19
Grainger probably lists it as an absorbent material.
© 24hourcampfire