Home
Hello.

If someone with a ballistics program can help

If I launch a Nosler Ballistic Tip 6.5mm, 140 grain at 2750 fps. At what distance does it fall below the 1800 fps minimum performance threshold Nosler states?

BC= 0.509. Boat tail design. Use default values for elevation, temp, etc. If a cartridge case is required use Creed or Sweade. It will actually be x57r or x65r. I'm trying to decide. I just need a ball park number. I imagine it is further than ethical hunting range.

Thanks.
There are many free, excellent ballistics programs available on-line including those provided by most bullet manufacturers. One of the best is JBM Ballistics.

Just select your bullet from the drop-down list and input your velocity, zero range, etc here.
Thanks for link! Somewhere between 500 & 600 yards.

I bookmarked that. Thanks again.
I find Nosler's velocity thresholds conservative at both ends. I wouldn't push it too far on the low end but on the high end I have exceeded the recommended velocity by 2-300 fps and they worked fine. The 57 & 65mm are dandy cartridges. I have the horn on for a 6.5x65 AI in a single shot rifle. A lot of trouble to slightly best the 270 Win. but who cares?
IF I ever get my 35 Whelan AI done, I'd like to try a 6.5-280AI. Just neck down available brass and go.
Originally Posted by calikooknic
IF I ever get my 35 Whelan AI done, I'd like to try a 6.5-280AI. Just neck down available brass and go.

Every time I look at my 280 AI reamer it is in danger of having half a mm ground off it.
© 24hourcampfire